Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Jim Bowden: Twins should trade Liriano, Burton, Morneau & Willingham to Giants

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

http://espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office

This is insider only, unfortunately, so tread lightly on pulling passages. But you can see the proposed deal for free at the top of the story:

Minnesota Twins send Francisco Liriano, Jared Burton, Justin Morneau, Josh Willingham and cash to the San Francisco Giants for Brandon Belt, Kyle Crick, Mike Kickham and Heath Hembree

Crick was mentioned by Nick in today's Trade Target Team Series.

#2 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Sure Jim Bowden, that totally make sense. Why SF needs another outfielder after getting great run outta Pagan, Melky and Blanco I don't know. But who cares...you're Jim Bowden. You work for the four letter network, you don't have to make sense.

#3 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

Seems like a lot to give up for us.

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 11,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Not exactly their top prospects, according to pre-season rankings at fangraphs...at work, can't check how they are playing this year...Not sure how I feel about Belt, frankly.
Used to be mike wants wins

#5 SDTwinsFan

SDTwinsFan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

I just saw this also. I don't know enough about these prospects, but Burton and Willingham have to have a lot of value, and isn't Belt somewhat redundant with Parmalee in AAA? (I realize that Belt is probably a better player)

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

That is a horrible trade proposal for the Twins. Just wow!

#7 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

I just saw this also. I don't know enough about these prospects, but Burton and Willingham have to have a lot of value, and isn't Belt somewhat redundant with Parmalee in AAA? (I realize that Belt is probably a better player)

Not that it matters, but I'd take Belt over Parmelee.

#8 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

The Pohlads would lose a ton of cash in this deal immediately and next year and the next year, and more yet if those prospects don't pan out.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 6,595 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Pass. I guess I'll play the homer, but that should be the return for Willingham and his awesome contract alone. Only one of the Giants top ten prospects and the under-achieving Brandon Belt? Pass. The best prospect included in that deal is a reliever, no thanks. The Giants just do not have the starting pitching quality to match up with the Twins. Giving up four established players and only getting back 2 minor league starters, only one of which is in the organizations top 20, seems laughable. Edit: Time to give Terry Ryan a criticism break for the day. If Ryan steps down as GM again, obviously the Twins could do much worse.

Edited by nicksaviking, 26 July 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#10 SDTwinsFan

SDTwinsFan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

Not that it matters, but I'd take Belt over Parmelee.

I'm thinking most people would, but we need pitching so I don't understand why Belt is a good get with Parmalee as a "low cost 1B option" too. I hope that nothing like this actually happens.

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Would getting Gary Brown change things? Or are there any young arms that would help?

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 11,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yup, in looking, not a fan of this deal, unless they Twins pay zero dollars, even then I don't like it....
Used to be mike wants wins

#13 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Yeah right! ...would need onf their starters NOT named Lincecum, and even then I'm not sure.

#14 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Let me switch this up a bit. What if the Twins traded Liriano, Burton and Morneau, but not Willingham. And what if the Giants had to pay all of Morneau's salary. Then what would it take? (I gotta be honest - the Giants farm system seems really weak. It's hard to find a good package here.)

#15 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Bowden continues to show he is an idiot. Hard to believe he got hired in the first place, by the Reds or ESPN.

#16 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

ESPN doesn't exactly have the highest standards, I can understand it completely.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,061 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

If the Twins make this deal, do they get the entire roster for the Giants' AA and A+ ball affiliates? Because given the state of the Giants farm, that's what it should take.

#18 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

I know, let's take it this way. Since everybody wants "change", we could hire Bowden as our GM and Dan Gladden as our manager. Bowden brings his willingness to trade current talent for minor league "prospects" and Gladden brings his folksy, beer drinking, grittiness. It's a win for everybody! (Excuse me while I go waterboard myself)

#19 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Sure Jim Bowden, that totally make sense.

Why SF needs another outfielder after getting great run outta Pagan, Melky and Blanco I don't know. But who cares...you're Jim Bowden. You work for the four letter network, you don't have to make sense.

great run? Melky is having a great year but the Giants are 23rd in the league in slugging and 21st in runs scored. Blanco .248/.341/.369 isn't helping out in RF. You don't think they would like a Willingham: .271,.384/.563? Melky Cabrera is a FA after this year and is going to cash in so long term Willingham has a spot too. This deal might not make sense but it isn't because of SF outfield.

That said I think the Twins would be fools to take this trade.

#20 COtwin

COtwin

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Jim Jim Jim. You must not have a very high opinion of your readers intelligence. The twins give up two high quality players, one of which should have been an all-star. And two "wild cards" with massive upside, one capable of MVP caliber play and the other capable of becoming a legit ace. You are selling this as a trade that benefits both buyer and seller? Laughable.