Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Select OF Alex Kirilloff with 15th Overall Pick

mlb draft draft alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

The only good I see in this pick is that they can actually trade him to the Pirates in a year or so (both him and his father have a lot of Pirates connections) and get somebody back who can help them.

That's about it.

More baggage than talent, for my liking, plus plays a position (cOF/1B) that the Twins already have better alternatives at every level.

Baggage?

The Twins low minor hitting talent is not very good right now.

• howieramone2 likes this

#62 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,134 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

Baggage?

The Twins low minor hitting talent is not very good right now.

I happen to like Lewin Diaz, Amaurys Minier, Jean Carlos Arias, Jermaine Palacios, LaMonte Wade, Trey Cabbage as cOF/1B types more than him. (Arias could be a CF, we shall see; I include Palacios, because I think that he will end up there.)

And, yes, he has some real baggage, IMHO more than the Puerto Rican kid who doped...

Edited by Thrylos, 10 June 2016 - 12:50 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#63 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:52 PM

You can draft for need and end up with Mark Appel. You can draft best available, and get Byron Buxton, who made the big leagues as a high school pick when Appel was still at DOUBLE-A.

Appel was not drafted #1 because of need. He was assumed to be the best player available. Some thought he would have made the major leagues that same year.

The Appel equals need and Buxton equals best player is using hindsight to make a point. But I am not sure Buxton goes #2 in a re-draft. Correa goes #1 and you have guys like Michael Wacha, Addison Russell, Gausman, Giolito, and Stroman in round 1.

I think the Twins scouts are absolutely enamored with athletic outfielders and use the BPA mantra as an excuse to take them. With our 18 first round picks since 2002, six of them have been prep OF (Span, Hicks, Revere, Parmelee, Buxton, and Kiriloff). Despite the kudos the Twins keep getting for developing high school outfielders, none have made an all-star game. Hicks, Revere, and Parmelee have made the show. But I am not sure a CF with an OPS of .644 (Hicks) , or a corner OF at .669 (Revere) and .717 (Parmelee) are really feathers in our cap. Span has had a good career with 26 WAR spread across 9 seasons. But the other three have basically been replacement players. Hicks has 2.2 WAR across four seasons. Parmelee is negative in four seasons. And Revere has 6 WAR over 6 seasons. And we have literally invested 1,000’s of MLB at bats in these guys because we are emotionally tied to them and wanted them to succeed. Really bizarre given we could have signed better players without a huge financial commitment.

But here is the biggest issue I have. You need starting pitching to win and the draft is really the only realistic avenue for the Twins to acquire that talent in a sustainable manner over any period of time. The same is almost true at the catcher position (whereas OF are a dime a dozen in FA). Catchers rarely hit free agency and the Twins are never going to pay a guy like Brian McCann $85m over five years or Max Scherzer $180m.

So I guess the flip side of BPA at all costs is, if your turn comes up ten years in a row and a HS OF is the top on your board each year, what is the plan to acquire five starting pitchers and a catcher? The old we can trade them later sounds good, but how often has that happened? I mean Span, Revere, and Hicks for Murphy, Meyer, and May kind of goes to show you that hasn't really worked out for us. We have moved three of them for one potential starter, who is in the bullpen.

Edited by tobi0040, 10 June 2016 - 01:05 PM.

• Dman and umyeahsure like this

#64 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

So basically Buxton and Kepler? Having 2 good outfielders in the system is what you're worried about? Kiriloff is going to be in the minor leagues for at least 4 years anyways. Take the BPA.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. If you only have two OF, you can sign Denard Span on a 3 year, $33m deal to make the OF complete. He has averaged 2.8 WAR per season over his career. He isn't Giancarlo Stanton, but he is well above an average player.

If you only have 3-4 starting pitchers, the cost to acquire an equally good SP is in another ballpark, one that we don't have tickets for.

Edited by tobi0040, 10 June 2016 - 01:00 PM.

• wsnydes likes this

#65 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• 1,207 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:30 PM

Appel was not drafted #1 because of need. He was assumed to be the best player available. Some thought he would have made the major leagues that same year.

The Appel equals need and Buxton equals best player is using hindsight to make a point. But I am not sure Buxton goes #2 in a re-draft. Correa goes #1 and you have guys like Michael Wacha, Addison Russell, Gausman, Giolito, and Stroman in round 1.

I think the Twins scouts are absolutely enamored with athletic outfielders and use the BPA mantra as an excuse to take them. With our 18 first round picks since 2002, six of them have been prep OF (Span, Hicks, Revere, Parmelee, Buxton, and Kiriloff). Despite the kudos the Twins keep getting for developing high school outfielders, none have made an all-star game. Hicks, Revere, and Parmelee have made the show. But I am not sure a CF with an OPS of .644 (Hicks) , or a corner OF at .669 (Revere) and .717 (Parmelee) are really feathers in our cap. Span has had a good career with 26 WAR spread across 9 seasons. But the other three have basically been replacement players. Hicks has 2.2 WAR across four seasons. Parmelee is negative in four seasons. And Revere has 6 WAR over 6 seasons. And we have literally invested 1,000’s of MLB at bats in these guys because we are emotionally tied to them and wanted them to succeed. Really bizarre given we could have signed better players without a huge financial commitment.

But here is the biggest issue I have. You need starting pitching to win and the draft is really the only realistic avenue for the Twins to acquire that talent in a sustainable manner over any period of time. The same is almost true at the catcher position (whereas OF are a dime a dozen in FA). Catchers rarely hit free agency and the Twins are never going to pay a guy like Brian McCann $85m over five years or Max Scherzer $180m.

So I guess the flip side of BPA at all costs is, if your turn comes up ten years in a row and a HS OF is the top on your board each year, what is the plan to acquire five starting pitchers and a catcher? The old we can trade them later sounds good, but how often has that happened? I mean Span, Revere, and Hicks for Murphy, Meyer, and May kind of goes to show you that hasn't really worked out for us. We have moved three of them for one potential starter, who is in the bullpen.

Appel didn't go No. 1 the year Buxton went, either. I'm saying the Twins could have drafted for need (Appel, who went 8th) or went best available, which worked out better for them.

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

#66 mlhouse

mlhouse

• 725 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:43 PM

These changes would be disasterous. We may lose 100 games or more.

Who cares.  We already are on pace for 110 losses this season. So what has more value to the long term prospects of the team?  A 110 loss year where we get most of the prospects up and evaluated or a 110 loss year playing 32 year old Kurt Suzuki, 31 year old Kevin Jepsen amongst other mediocre at best veterans????

Get Mitch Garver AND Stuart Turner up to the major leagues.  Release Suzuki.  

Get JT Chargois up to be the closer and move Jepsen down to setup role, trade him, or release him.

Put the potential OF together of Rosario, Buxton, Kepler and let Grossman try to stay at the 4th OF.

Move Sano to 3B trade or release Plouffe.  Let Polanco play most every day as the utility guy.  

Get Berrios into the starting rotation.  Keep Dean and Duffey there.  Try to move Santana or Hughes.  Release Nolansco.  Give Taylor Rodgers a starting slot until Gibson comes back.

In the bullpen get rid of anyone over 28 years of age and give their spot to Alex Meyer and others. 

The organization should set a 21 year MLB debut target for their HS draftees and 23/24 for their college draftees.  Some prospects should be rushed faster than that.  I have said they should start Kirilloff at the MLB level.  It wont happen, but they should follow what the Mets did with Carlos Gomez:  18 year old both rookie levels.  Age 19 full season at A level. Age 20  full season at AA.  Age 21 AAA and major league debut with 139 PA.  He was traded to Minnesota the next season.

Edited by mlhouse, 10 June 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#67 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

Who cares. We already are on pace for 110 losses this season. So what has more value to the long term prospects of the team? A 110 loss year where we get most of the prospects up and evaluated or a 110 loss year playing 32 year old Kurt Suzuki, 31 year old Kevin Jepsen amongst other mediocre at best veterans????

Get Mitch Garver AND Stuart Turner up to the major leagues. Release Suzuki.

Get JT Chargois up to be the closer and move Jepsen down to setup role, trade him, or release him.

Put the potential OF together of Rosario, Buxton, Kepler and let Grossman try to stay at the 4th OF.

Move Sano to 3B trade or release Plouffe. Let Polanco play most every day as the utility guy.

Get Berrios into the starting rotation. Keep Dean and Duffey there. Try to move Santana or Hughes. Release Nolansco. Give Taylor Rodgers a starting slot until Gibson comes back.

In the bullpen get rid of anyone over 28 years of age and give their spot to Alex Meyer and others.

The organization should set a 21 year MLB debut target for their HS draftees and 23/24 for their college draftees. Some prospects should be rushed faster than that. I have said they should start Kirilloff at the MLB level. It wont happen, but they should follow what the Mets did with Carlos Gomez: 18 year old both rookie levels. Age 19 full season at A level. Age 20 full season at AA. Age 21 AAA and major league debut with 139 PA. He was traded to Minnesota the next season.

I was being 100 percent sarcastic

#68 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,134 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

Appel didn't go No. 1 the year Buxton went, either. I'm saying the Twins could have drafted for need (Appel, who went 8th) or went best available, which worked out better for them.

Appel is one example of pitchers that could have fulfilled the Twins' need. Giolito (the best pitcher available in that draft, and the one I wish the Twins took), Wacha, Stroman, Gausman are others.  

Can you say that the Twins would have been better off last season with Buxton over (let's say) Wacha?I seriously doubt.If they had Wacha they could have been in the post season.

That draft is too recent to reach conclusions.Give it 10 years or so.Up until 2006, Prior was clearly a better pick than Mauer in the 2001 draft...

Edited by Thrylos, 10 June 2016 - 04:35 PM.

-----

#69 mlhouse

mlhouse

• 725 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

I was being 100 percent sarcastic

Ok....sorry.  

#70 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,873 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Since 2002, the Twins have had 27 first round picks. 

6 HS OF

5 HS IF

5 HS Pitchers

0 College OF

1 College IF

10 College pitchers

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the Twins only draft HS OFers.They generally don't draft college bats (to Mike's chagrin) but mix it up pretty well with the other spots (and that's not looking at other rounds).As everyone else has said, drafting for need is a bad idea.Get the BPA.

#71 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Since 2002, the Twins have had 27 first round picks.
6 HS OF
5 HS IF
5 HS Pitchers
0 College OF
1 College IF
10 College pitchers

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the Twins only draft HS OFers. They generally don't draft college bats (to Mike's chagrin) but mix it up pretty well with the other spots (and that's not looking at other rounds). As everyone else has said, drafting for need is a bad idea. Get the BPA.

The difference between my 18 picks and your 27 picks is that you are using comp picks. Some of these were 38-46th overall. I don't really consider them first round picks. A third of the time we have drafted a HS OF with our first selection. None were catchers (I get Mauer was in 2001).

Just seems like we are using our draft pick assets to crowd out one of the few places we can use our limited free agent dollars.
  • jimmer likes this

#72 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:34 PM

Ok....sorry.

No worries at all.

#73 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• 1,207 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:14 AM

Appel is one example of pitchers that could have fulfilled the Twins' need. Giolito (the best pitcher available in that draft, and the one I wish the Twins took), Wacha, Stroman, Gausman are others.  

Can you say that the Twins would have been better off last season with Buxton over (let's say) Wacha?I seriously doubt.If they had Wacha they could have been in the post season.

That draft is too recent to reach conclusions.Give it 10 years or so.Up until 2006, Prior was clearly a better pick than Mauer in the 2001 draft...

Wacha was never a candidate to go 1.2. 

#74 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,134 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

Wacha was never a candidate to go 1.2. 

He was in the top 5 pitcher conversation.And if you pick a pitcher regardless the pick, he should had been.

That best player available approach has never worked for the Twins (and other teams, really,) because "best" is subjective, esp. if the subjects are 17 year olds... 

So "best" player available truly becomes "most projectable" player available, which is a huge risk.

95+ mph fastballs are not subjective.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this
-----

#75 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• 1,207 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

He was in the top 5 pitcher conversation.And if you pick a pitcher regardless the pick, he should had been.

That best player available approach has never worked for the Twins (and other teams, really,) because "best" is subjective, esp. if the subjects are 17 year olds... 

So "best" player available truly becomes "most projectable" player available, which is a huge risk.

95+ mph fastballs are not subjective.

Literally no one had Wacha at No. 2 overall. That would have been a reach. And beyond that, I'll still take Buxton's potential over Wacha's. 

Since his magical rookie season: 3.63 ERA, 7.7 K/9, 3.0 BB/9. Those guys aren't (SHOULDN'T BE) hard to find. 

• gunnarthor, bluechipper and howieramone2 like this

#76 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Literally no one had Wacha at No. 2 overall. That would have been a reach. And beyond that, I'll still take Buxton's potential over Wacha's. 

Since his magical rookie season: 3.63 ERA, 7.7 K/9, 3.0 BB/9. Those guys aren't (SHOULDN'T BE) hard to find. 

And the Twins have found how many of those in the last 10 years?

80% of their starting rotation was NOT drafted by MN this year.....and those that were? Duffey, for example?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#77 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,713 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Kiriloff led Plum HS to a state semi-final win this afternoon. He'll play one more high school game, might as well win it, and then start talking to the Twins!

• gunnarthor likes this

#78 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:58 AM

KLAW stated today his he thinks his upside is above average RF with power.

• milldam likes this

#79 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

KLAW stated today his he thinks his upside is above average RF with power.

Personally, I would like to see us aim higher than that with our first round picks. It seems like the premium positions are C, SS, 2B, 3B, CF, and SP (times five). Aiming for an above average player at those positions may make sense at #15.

If the guy has some shot at hitting 35-40 HR like Bryce Harper or Stanton, aim there for a RF. If that guy is not available, use your picks elsewhere.

Edited by tobi0040, 16 June 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#80 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,582 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

He felt he was picked in about the right spot.

It isn't just about positional value.....

• gunnarthor and howieramone2 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft, draft, alex kirilloff