Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Select OF Alex Kirilloff with 15th Overall Pick

mlb draft draft alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 by jiminy

by jiminy

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

Hard not to worry about a guy whose power depends on a long swing and who has subpar handspeed, which might mean that he's closer to his ceiling than a less polished youngster who didn't have a baseball coach for a dad. 

But more to the point, that's ALL I know about him, meaning I really know nothing of substance, and will wait and see with the usual mix of hope and trepidation.

• Mike Sixel, jokin, Dman and 2 others like this

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

There's nothing wrong with this pick.  It's not a reach and you don't draft for need in the MLB draft.  I'm not sure why this is a "Twinsy" pick since they've been all over the place with their picks.  Plus, the Twins have actually done a pretty good job of getting HS OFers to the majors.  

• SwainZag, Dman, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#23 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Well, this is fun!

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

THis will be the most outrageous statement of the night:

I think the TWins should move Kirollof up to the big leagues almost immediately.  Dump Plouffe, move Sano to 3B, and put him in RF.  He is physically mature, has a mature approach at the plate, is a good defender with a plus arm.  I bet you he would not have the lowest OPS of the main players.  

You win.

• Deduno Abides likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#24 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

I suppose wasting a 1st rounder on a guy who the Twins will turn into a slap hitting corner outfielder is better than drafting another college closer to try and make him a starter. This was just another money pick. Probably had an agreement to sign under slot. By contrast the rich get richer when an elite organization like the Cardinals get a top 3 talent at #21 in Perez. There is risk there but talent wise he's light years ahead of Kiriloff. Plus if he didn't sign the Twins would have 2 top 16 picks next year in a draft that is going to be loaded. I like getting a catcher in round 2.
  • jokin likes this

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

Ben Rortvedt is their second round pick. It's a nice pick.  Solid HS catching prospect.

• howieramone2 likes this

#26 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

I like the 2nd round selection. I bet we see one more before round 5.

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,825 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

I suppose wasting a 1st rounder on a guy who the Twins will turn into a slap hitting corner outfielder is better than drafting another college closer to try and make him a starter. This was just another money pick. Probably had an agreement to sign under slot. By contrast the rich get richer when an elite organization like the Cardinals get a top 3 talent at #21 in Perez. There is risk there but talent wise he's light years ahead of Kiriloff. Plus if he didn't sign the Twins would have 2 top 16 picks next year in a draft that is going to be loaded. I like getting a catcher in round 2.

For crying out loud .. the Twins spend their draft pool.  Perez wasn't a top 3 talent and got busted with PED use so why would you trust him?  He's certainly not the guy you risk your draft on.  

The Twins don't develop "slap hitting corner" outfielders.  Jeepers.  Who knows if he'll make it but he's one of the better prep bats in the draft, solid grades, good baseball make up.  He got drafted around where he was supposed to get drafted.

• luckylager, Oldgoat_MN, markos and 7 others like this

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

I'm always in favor of drafting hitters in favor of pitchers in the first.  So I'm on board in principle!

• IndyTwinsFan and d-mac like this

#29 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

I think the TWins should move Kirollof up to the big leagues almost immediately.  Dump Plouffe, move Sano to 3B, and put him in RF.  He is physically mature, has a mature approach at the plate, is a good defender with a plus arm.  I bet you he would not have the lowest OPS of the main players.

Well, Ken Griffey, Jr. needed only about 500 ABs in the minors. . .

After about 1,300 PAs in the minors, Mike Trout had a .672 OPS.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#30 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:31 PM

After about 1,300 PAs in the minors, Mike Trout had a .672 OPS.

Just to clarify, are you saying Trout had an OPS of .672 in 1300 minor league PAs? Or are you talking about his 40 game intro to the majors before becoming ROY the following season and finishing 2nd for MVP?

Edited by jimmer, 09 June 2016 - 09:33 PM.

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

Yup... Yup... that is a bit outrageous... I think they're being aggressive in pushing him to Elizabethton right away. Ha!

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

I like college arms like Dunn but frankly, the thing the Twins have been good at for a couple of decades is developing toolsy outfieielders. If they had Kirilloff ahead of Dunn on their BPA board (and clearly they did), then it's absolutely the right pick...

Of course, we won't really know if it was the "right" pick for 10 years.

• gunnarthor and HitInAPinch like this

#33 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

Kurt Suzuki is on the team................  and there is a lot more competition for terrible OPS.

Good players can be developed at the MLB level.  Most of the Twins WS team was. If they aint good, then they can never be developed.  You can find that out right away too.  

If the Twins had a better prospect as an alternative then that would be a different story.  But the fact is, they really don't.  THey will plug some mediocrity in the lineup instead.

Oh you're serious. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
  • jsteve96 likes this

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#34 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

Just to clarify, are you saying Trout had an OPS of .672 in 1300 minor league PAs? Or are you talking about his 40 game intro to the majors before becoming ROY the following season and finishing 2nd for MVP?

Sorry, Jimmer, his .672 OPS was in his first abbreviated MLB season, after 1,300 minor league PAs. The discussion had to do with Kiriloff's immediate readiness for the show, and I am suggesting that even KG, Jr. and Mike Trout were not fully baked out of high school.
  • jimmer likes this

#35 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

This second round catcher seems to have a lot to like, am I missing something or does he seem like really solid value?

• d-mac likes this

#36 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

Of course, we won't really know if it was the "right" pick for 10 years.

Didn't you read the comments?The usual suspects already know it was a wasted pick.

• gunnarthor, HitInAPinch, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,560 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:39 PM

Didn't you read the comments?The usual suspects already know it was a wasted pick.

Haha... of course!

#38 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:22 PM

he would bat below .100 guaranteed 

• d-mac likes this

#39 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

The Senators were terrible, no doubt, but they had Sievers in LF and Lemon in RF, with Eddie Yost at 3B.  And Harmon never played a season completely in the minors in his entire career.  He obviously was not allowed to go to the minors at all as a bonus baby.  Regardless, if Harmon was a player in the modern Twins organization he would have made the majors at 24 or 25, putzing him along the minor league trying to find his position and cut down on his strikeouts. 

do you realize how much more and better competition there is now a days? there are 8 different minor league levels. when Harmon played how many were there? 1, 2?

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#40 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:32 PM

So, it is a stretch to bring up a 18 year old player, but it has been done.  When Robin Yount was brought up to the major leagues at the age of 18, Joe Garioggila joked that they had to protect him from the veterans swearing around him.  Yount was pretty good I guess.

Hey kid I know we drafted you yesterday and you still have two high school games left, but if you can be a future Hall of Famer we'll throw you in there right away. 

• gunnarthor, HitInAPinch, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

Follow me on Twitter: @Brandon_Warne

Follow Zone Coverage on Twitter: @ZoneCoverageMN

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mlb draft, draft, alex kirilloff