Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Draft Preview: Mock Draft v. 3.0

dakota hudson mlb draft draft justin dunn alex kirilloff
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,842 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Josh Hamilton had makeup issues pre-draft? You'll have to refresh me on those, because pretty much every team thought he was the perfect prospect

I could be wrong but I thought there were rumors of him drinking a bit too much in high school.  

#22 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,741 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

The $8 million is only for rounds 1-10, punting on every pick after round 10 wouldn't help them sign Groome.  

Yes, but many times teams save some of their cap to overpay HS kids in the later rounds to try to keep them from going to college.

#23 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,292 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:46 AM

I could be wrong but I thought there were rumors of him drinking a bit too much in high school.  

Mobley, Hamilton's 12th grade English teacher, will never forget the day that Hamilton cut class. It was during his senior year and Mobley couldn't ever remember Hamilton cutting class before. In fact, he was paranoid about getting into trouble. Hamilton was Yessir and No, ma'am. He didn't smoke or drink alcohol. He was the kid who would give his grandmother a peck on the cheek before every game. The kid who chose not to go to his senior prom because it might put him in a compromising situation. But this day was different.

"One afternoon a female student of mine was having a personal need emergency," Mobley begins. "There was an item that a woman would need and she didn't have it and couldn't get it. It was very obvious that she needed to go home and change clothes, but for some reason she could not reach her family. Then she ran into Josh. As soon as Josh saw her, he didn't hesitate. He drove her home. He cut two classes and that was not a good thing for Josh to be doing. When he got back to school, he was called into the office and our principal Walt Sherlin asked him, 'Why did you leave school without permission to take this young lady home?'

"Well," Hamilton said, "she asked me."

Edited by alarp33, 09 June 2016 - 11:47 AM.

• gunnarthor and bluechipper like this

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#24 alarp33

alarp33

• 2,292 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

Yes, but many times teams save some of their cap to overpay HS kids in the later rounds to try to keep them from going to college.

Gotcha, I thought you were referencing saving money to sign Groome in Round 1

"The game has changed since I've entered, it's for bright, energetic negotiators moreso than anything I possess." - Terry Ryan 2007

#25 dgwills

dgwills

• 592 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:49 AM

Just about every player who had makeup issues has been a disaster for the drafting team. Bubba Starlin, Donovan Tate, Tim Beckham, Matt Bush, Delmon Young, Josh Hamilton.... The only big time bust (non injury related) who didn't have makeup issues in high school was Josh Vitters.

All of those guys were top five picks. We're picking 15th, so it's not really comparable. Players bust all the time in MLB. Some players lose their careers because they eat too much. Should you pass on elite talents that like food?

• d-mac likes this

#26 SarasotaBill

SarasotaBill

• 189 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

Take BPA with upside no matter what they're asking.

At worst case:

Next year is loaded with college arms.

Twins could really take advantage of #1-1, 1-16, 2-1.

1-1 and 1-2 teams have a significant advantage - millions above 1-3 and 1-4.

To be honest, if the Twins were more aggressive like the Astros and Cubs, then the best move would be not to sign their top pick this year. 

#27 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,544 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

Take BPA with upside no matter what they're asking.

At worst case:

Next year is loaded with college arms.

Twins could really take advantage of #1-1, 1-16, 2-1.

1-1 and 1-2 teams have a significant advantage - millions above 1-3 and 1-4.

To be honest, if the Twins were more aggressive like the Astros and Cubs, then the best move would be not to sign their top pick this year. 

Dumb move for anyone. The Astros wanted to sign Aiken, and the Cubs don't botch signings, so I don't get your reasoning.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#28 zenser

zenser

• 524 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

i will be the first to admit this but I don't follow the draft as much as a lot of others on here.I am not blown away by anyone in this draft.I say take your highest rated player available at 15, signablity be damned.

#29 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

Callis and Mayo have Kiriloff. Yippee.

http://m.mlb.com/new...picid=167757330

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dakota hudson, mlb draft, draft, justin dunn, alex kirilloff