Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cardinals send down Kolten Wong

twins dozier cardinals
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,379 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

In addition, Dozier is a potential trade candidate if he can fix himself, and sending him down would eliminate whatever trade value he had. In a parallel universe I would agree totally with this statement. Sadly we are mired in TwinsWorld. (How do I make the little tm sign thingy) TwinsWorld, where if BD fixes himself he is too valuable to trade, and if he doesn't we can't get enough for him to make a trade worth it! TwinsWorld! Tickets still available.
  • dgwills and d-mac like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

I know he has options available but I thought there was something in the CBA that limited when you could send a player down, even if he has options - it was a close call on Jessie Crain a few years back and was a reason the Yankees couldn't send down Giambi.

I can't remember the rule but I thought he kicked in in year 5.  So I'm not sure they could send him to the minors.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

In addition, Dozier is a potential trade candidate if he can fix himself, and sending him down would eliminate whatever trade value he had.

Temporarily sending down Dozier will not significantly impact his trade value (unless perhaps he struggles in AAA too).

I agree that his trade value won't go up while he's in AAA, but frankly it's unlikely to go up significantly before July 31st regardless.

I'd rather get my looks at Polanco now rather than wait until August.  If Nunez or Plouffe gets traded, or someone gets hurt, Dozier can come back then.

• d-mac likes this

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

I know he has options available but I thought there was something in the CBA that limited when you could send a player down, even if he has options - it was a close call on Jessie Crain a few years back and was a reason the Yankees couldn't send down Giambi.

I can't remember the rule but I thought he kicked in in year 5.  So I'm not sure they could send him to the minors.

At 5 years service time, players can refuse to be sent to the minor leagues.  Dozier isn't quite at 4 years service time right now, so they can freely option him for at least the next 12 months, if they so desire.  (And of course any time in the minor leagues would push back the date he reaches 5 years service.)

Also, if we optioned him in the next 5 days, and he didn't return to MLB this season (admittedly that would probably be bad, from a performance or health perspective), he would still be short of 4 years service time at the end of the season.  And thus he would be under team control for an extra year (2019).  Probably not worth it, but something to think about.

Edited by spycake, 07 June 2016 - 09:51 AM.

• gunnarthor and ken like this

#25 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:57 AM

Maybe Twins could swap Dozier for Wong, that would be a good buy low sell low swap.

#26 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Someday we will have players tell us their real stories about what it is like to be a professional...from that first call-up to cashing that first big dream check to making millions and getting a longterm contract and how that details with the way they play their careers. We have to remember that this is a sport with superstars, but even the middle-of-the-team guys can earn untold millions to play a game in which they can be easily replaced if they don't keep changing and playing hard. It's always a gamble.

Plus you always have the question: Am I being rewarded for what I have done, or being paid for what I will do.

It is a sport where you get more pay if you put butts in the sets, show greatness in an area or two. But unlike the old days of servitude, where you got an increase because of service time and age, or maybe a decrease because you didn't do what you did the previous year...the incentive in modern times is to play for that big contract, get it, and then...what goes thru your mind.

How many players ramp it up a bit in a contract year?

Even arbitration means you have to play at or above your previous seasons to get a bigger payday. You will still get an increase more than likely.

And the old old incentive from those pre-divisional days where teams finish in the standings meant anotehr bonus to a player, sometimes that bonus was more than their yearly salary compared to the pocket change and tax problem it is now.

The Twins have two guys - Plouffe and Dozier. Both are capable of putting up solid numbers before their careers end. Right now, one is expensive...actually both are expensive...for what they bring to the team. In Dozier's case, maybe a trip to AAA would be beneficial and a 2-4 week look at Polanco as a regular at second base would let the Twins truly see what they have in this young man. He is, as we know, out of options next year and will be on the roster as a backup, if nothing more. If Dozier fixes what he needs to fix, we might suddenly have two options...the vet or the rookie, two tradeable assets, and force another decision.

Or maybe trade Dozier to a team like the Cardinals for Wong (who the Twins had drafted but didn't sign). A lot of times a change of place can benefit a player AND a team.

AND, ON  SIDE NOTE: why is Dozier in the top-of-the-order if he has to work on stuff. Put him in the 9th spot until he figures it out. Right after Suzuki and Plouffe.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

At 5 years service time, players can refuse to be sent to the minor leagues.  Dozier isn't quite at 4 years service time right now, so they can freely option him for at least the next 12 months, if they so desire.  (And of course any time in the minor leagues would push back the date he reaches 5 years service.)

Also, if we optioned him in the next 5 days, and he didn't return to MLB this season (admittedly that would probably be bad, from a performance or health perspective), he would still be short of 4 years service time at the end of the season.  And thus he would be under team control for an extra year (2019).  Probably not worth it, but something to think about.

Thanks!

#28 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

I think it's pretty clear that the Twins like Dozier... a lot.

Despite hitting barely above the MenDozier Line (see what I did there), he was recently moved to THIRD in the batting order.

The Twins think Dozier is just in a slump... a slump that's been going on for about the last six months.
  • Platoon likes this

#29 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:05 PM

I thought Wong had put up better MLB numbers prior to this year, but they're actually not that great. He had good minor league numbers, but it seems like a bit of a risky sign for the Cards to guarantee $25M to a guy that was coming off a .707 OPS in 2015.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, dozier, cardinals