Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Draft Preview: 10-round Mock

alex kirilloff mock draft mlb draft draft
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:50 PM

I like your picks and hope you get the Kirilloff and Curbelo picks right, I've already seen them in action against the highest competition at the WWBA but also chatted with them and their parents, both are signing but won't come at discounts.

Alex Kirilloff
LuisCurbelo

• gunnarthor, Vanimal46 and d-mac like this

#22 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

Who did you ask?  Personally I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to sign someone. If you fail you have the 16th pick next year with likely a top 3 pick. Not a bad position to be in.

I appreciate your draft coverage by the way.

Specifically, can't tell. But its someone involved in all the draft meetings and will be in the draft room.

#23 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 3,073 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

I wonder how many HS kids are demanding over slot bonuses?At a certain point, not all these guys are top 10 talents, but are more than 10 (for instance) expecting top 10 dollars?

More than 10 can get it based on teams cutting below-slot deals with their picks and having a ton of money left to promise others (typically high schoolers) to drop to their second pick.

#24 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,737 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

Bleacher report, Craig Lambert, Baseball America  think Dakota Hudson.If as advertised as the second best college pitcher, I don't think he will be there

Sickles currently says Thaiss the catcher.Contact hitter, not a great defensive catcher. I do not think that is a good guess either.

The guys at Scout.com think Connor Jones. They say he projects as mid rotation.If there is more potential elsewhere I would guess they would go elsewhere.. Wimmers may cured them of "safe" picks.

Callis has Kirriloff

Many of the draft sites do have interesting things to say

http://www.dcprospor...om/MLBMocks.htm

That will get you to links of other people's opinions.

You can kill a lot of time there.

#25 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,356 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:53 AM

Bleacher report, Craig Lambert, Baseball America  think Dakota Hudson.If as advertised as the second best college pitcher, I don't think he will be there

Sickles currently says Thaiss the catcher.Contact hitter, not a great defensive catcher. I do not think that is a good guess either.

The guys at Scout.com think Connor Jones. They say he projects as mid rotation.If there is more potential elsewhere I would guess they would go elsewhere.. Wimmers may cured them of "safe" picks.

Callis has Kirriloff

Many of the draft sites do have interesting things to say

http://www.dcprospor...om/MLBMocks.htm

That will get you to links of other people's opinions.

You can kill a lot of time there.

Connor Jones... yuck!

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,410 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:56 PM

I wonder how many HS kids are demanding over slot bonuses?At a certain point, not all these guys are top 10 talents, but are more than 10 (for instance) expecting top 10 dollars?

It's not about top 10 dollars. It's about asking $3M+ and likely not going to be a top 10 pick.

There's a ton of depth in the high school class in the guys that normally would be picked between 12-30 in a draft, as in probably 40-50 guys who would profile in that type of range normally, so many of them are using finances as their way to negotiate.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#27 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,643 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:00 PM

Problem as I see it is why in the world would they turn down a signing bonus north of 7 figures?They could still get college paid for as part of the deal, and worst case they could buy a nice home and drop the rest of the bonus into a safe-low yield fund that could literally subsidize them for the rest of their lives no matter how that baseball career worked. 

• 70charger likes this

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,891 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

Some people want to go to college? It is an awesome time. Probably the best time of your life in many ways.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#29 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• 1,396 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:39 PM

Some people want to go to college? It is an awesome time. Probably the best time of your life in many ways.

Hmm, go to college or sign for $X million... Despite how much fun I had in college, I'd take the $X million worse case I have the money to pay for the college after chasing the dream.  Somehow its not blocked by the CBA but a kid can get drafted by an MLB team and sign out of HS play a season or two, then go back to college and play on the football team with a scholarship.  

Edited by Bob Sacamento, 06 June 2016 - 02:51 PM.

• gunnarthor likes this

#30 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 3,073 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Hmm, go to college or sign for $X million... Despite how much fun I had in college, I'd take the $X million worse case I have the money to pay for the college after chasing the dream.  Somehow its not blocked by the CBA but a kid can get drafted by an MLB team and sign out of HS play a season or two, then go back to college and play on the football team with a scholarship.  

Typically when a player signs out of high school, part of their contract includes 8 semesters at a college of the player's choice. They just call the commissioner's office and let them know they've enrolled and BOOM, it's paid. College guys usually negotiate to get the rest of their semesters paid for too.

• gunnarthor likes this

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,643 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:50 AM

I had fun in college too, but I'm fairly certain that a lot of 22 year olds can have just as much fun as they would have when they are 18, and I'd think it's even more fun when it's paid for and you have a nice amount of spending money to go with it. 

Just one of those odd decisions I don't quite get.I get holding out for more, to a point, but a 7 figure bonus can set anyone for life if they are smart with it.If I was that talented and my final offer was 1.5 or college, that would be a very easy decision. 

• 70charger likes this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,891 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

I didn't say I'd do it. But clearly many choose that route. I would take the money for sure.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#33 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:40 AM

I didn't say I'd do it. But clearly many choose that route. I would take the money for sure.

Best of both worlds. Take the money and buy a house on frat row. It might hurt your development a tad.
  • ThejacKmp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, mock draft, mlb draft, draft