Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Gladden: Twins talked with Pirates about Liriano but didn't like their players

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

On ESPN 1500 during the 12:00 hour, Dan Gladden said the Twins had lots of talk with the Pirates about Liriano, but Ryan wasn't satisfied with the return he would get. Of course, the Pirates just went out and got Wandy Rodriguez instead, netting 3 prospects: a "B" level outfielder and two lesser pitching prospects. More on that on this thread.

I gotta say, I don't think I would've buried Ryan had they got from the Pirates what the Astros did. Given Wandy Rodriguez's contract for next year, I gotta think they could have.

Edited by John Bonnes, 25 July 2012 - 03:31 PM.
fixed the positions of the prospects.

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just got this not on Twitter: #Astros are paying up to $17.7 of the $30M due Rodriguez for the rest of this year, next year, & 2014 (if option is picked up) That changes the calculus quite a bit.

#3 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well, at least we know that one team was willing to discuss picking up Liriano. I'd say that Rodriguez is more trustworthy from a health and consistency standpoint than Liriano, but that's the only reason that I could think of that the Pirates would be more interested in dealing with the Astros than dealing with us. Also, maybe Ryan has been looking closely at the players that he was offered and didn't like what he saw. i mean, the Twins, in regards to Liriano, have the control, so if they don't like something, they can tank the deal. I also gotta believe that Wandy deserved the prospects that he was traded for, I am not sure that Liriano deserves to be traded for two pitching prospects and one "B" prospect.

#4 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

John, who do you see as still being in the market for Frankie?

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

Just got this not on Twitter:

#Astros are paying up to $17.7 of the $30M due Rodriguez for the rest of this year, next year, & 2014 (if option is picked up)

That changes the calculus quite a bit.

It changes it quite a bit as Wandy is suddenly a steal for the Pirates.
I'm guessing they offered nothing near the same package.

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

It changes it quite a bit as Wandy is suddenly a steal for the Pirates.
I'm guessing they offered nothing near the same package.

You're right.

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

The trade might be more comparable to dealing Morneau and buying prospects in the form of picking up a significant portion of his contract.

As for prospect grades, I am not sure how what it means to be a B prospect.

Baseball America uses a numbered grade system. John Sickels uses letter grades. Below is his definition.
Grade A prospects are the elite. They have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Almost all Grade A prospects develop into major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don't intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

Grade C prospects are the most common type. These are guys who have something positive going for them, but who may have a question mark or three, or who are just too far away from the majors to get an accurate feel for. A few Grade C guys, especially at the lower levels, do develop into stars. Many end up as role players or bench guys. Some don't make it at all.

By his definition, there are very few A level prospects. Probably less than 30. Two prospects involved in trade discussions this week are close. Jacob Turner entered the season as a fringe A level prospect and Randall Delgado entered as a strong B level prospect. Turner's status may have dropped.

Of the players the Astros received only the outfielder Grossman is probably at the B level and very similar to Aaron Hicks. By the definition above, I don't think either of the pitchers would be considered B level prospects.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

Interesting to hear. I guess I never thought of Dan Gladden as someone who was intricately connected to the Twins front office. I'm sure his knowledge is legit, I'd just expect to hear Liriano/Piratets rumors from other sources first. The team is on a road trip though, lots of gossip can flow through those hotel rooms, during flights and shuttles to the ballpark.

Edited by nicksaviking, 25 July 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#9 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Of the players the Astros received only the outfielder Grossman is probably at the B level and very similar to Aaron Hicks. By the definition above, I don't think either of the pitchers would be considered B level prospects.

You're right - I messed up. I was thinking of Grossman as the B level prospect but got all turned around when I posted that. I'll edit quickly.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

I have a hunch it will ultimately be the Braves. Don't think they'll get Delgado though.
Papers...business papers.