Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher Of The Month - May 2016

tyler jay randy leblanc tommy milone jason wheeler miles nordgren
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,620 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

If Jay keeps this up for a few more weeks, I have to think they'll move him to AA.  That's ridiculous.That said, 133 innings is probably near the top end of what they want him to do this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if at one point he returned to the pen. 

• twinssouth likes this

#22 twinssouth

twinssouth

• 573 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

Be interesting if they have a innings limit on Jay but based on last start, goes 8 innings on only 98 pitches, 73 were strikes, mercy he's a strike throwing machine, backed up with mid 90s fb. I sure like what he's done so far.

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,778 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

I would also pick Jay, though it's obviously really close. Being 1 level higher helps give him the nod, but also the SO's.

We've got a long way to go here fellas, but the Jay pick is looking pretty smart at this point.

Concerning IP, I would also think 130 is about right, but, I think it also depends on the pitcher and his mechanics. Smooth, sound mechanics makes it easier to pitch more innings, I'd think. But also, efficiency based on average nber of pitches thrown per start.

I absolutely believe he should be in AA sometime the second half if this keeps up. I'd get try to get him 2-3 GS there and then finish in the bullpen. In theory, he'd begin next year at AA with a possible AAA promotion at some point.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

Comments like this are the worst....its the internet...its free...its full of interesting analysis on interesting prospects and lots of work went into it.  Comment/disagree on that instead of trying to show how fluent you are in English.

There's nothing wrong with picking up usage tips on the internet. That's how I learned to fly passenger jets!

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#25 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,753 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

Comments like this are the worst....its the internet...its free...its full of interesting analysis on interesting prospects and lots of work went into it.  Comment/disagree on that instead of trying to show how fluent you are in English.

Oh, OK... 

Ironically, the person being corrected took it better than a bystander did.

Moderator's note: in any case, please avoid descending into bickering.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#26 formerly33

formerly33

Captain of the City Watch

• 3,027 posts
  • LocationImperial City

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Clutterheart, 

I respectfully disagree with your response to Jimbo's comment about the misuse of the word "ironically" in Seth's report. Seth presents good information in his report, but he likely appreciates the editing feedback. I certainly would. I don't see Jimbo as "trying to show how fluent [he is] in English." Instead, I see him as pointing out a mistake--in baseball mistakes are ruled as errors. We all learn from our mistakes.

Actually, the comment shouldn't have been made in the first place since it distracts from the main discussion. I do, however, agree that Jimbo wasn't "trying to show how fluent [he is] in English;" in fact, Jimbo could inform Clutterheart that correcting the misuse of the word "ironically" is hardly an indication of the fluency of one's English.

I do, however, maintain my point that Jimbo (and Clutterheart, you, and I) violated the Twins Daily commenting policy by thread-jacking. Ironically (or not?), only a minimal level of grammar and spell-checking is required.

Now that I've cleared that up, I can't help but rub it in that while Jimbo may be a grammar nazi, he certainly isn't the punctuation police. ;)

Back on topic, I'm really happy with the way switching Jay to a starter is panning out. I know a lot of people were concerned it would prove unsuccessful, but even I (a hopeless optimist) have been pleasantly surprised by his performance this year. I do not want to see him fast tracked to the majors under any circumstances. Don't mess with this prospect's potential!

Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch.

#27 joemama

joemama

• 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:29 PM

It's obviously really close, but I'd go with LeBlanc. One ER the whole month?! Plus, as several noted, Jay's pitching in the pitcher-friendly FSL, and lost two games in part because of it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler jay, randy leblanc, tommy milone, jason wheeler, miles nordgren