Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread, Blue Jays v. Twins May 22 1:10pm

twins blue jays may 22 phil hughes marcus stroman
  • Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,089 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:56 AM

Game Thread, Blue Jays v. Twins May 22 1:10pm
Starters: Marcus Stroman (4-1, 4.23 ERA) v. Phil Hughes (1-6, 5.70 ERA)

1: Phil Hughes

Oh boy… here we go. So Hughes had a pretty good outing a few days ago, but he was pulled at around 75 pitches. Then Trevor May came in and blew the game. There was some debate about what should have happened.
I myself can understand why they pulled him. Hughes was about to go up against the meat of the Blue Jays’ lineup and Molitor wanted May to face them instead.
The problem is that apparently at around 75 pitches, Hughes is losing velocity due to shoulder fatigue. So, does that mean he won’t go past 80 pitches today?
If so, Hughes should be immediately DL’d until he can throw more pitches without shoulder fatigue. What’s the point of throwing pitches in a lost season for Phil Hughes? He should rest his arm until he can pitch. He’s under contract for another 3 seasons after this one, so he shouldn’t waste his injured arm now

2: Marcus Stroman

Stroman only got in 4 starts in 2015 but he’s made it this far into the season without any problems.
Here’s his career stat-line:

ERA 3.57 (FIP 3.09), H/9 8.4, HR/9 0.5, BB/9 2.1, K/9 7.1

If Stroman can continue to improve on his career numbers (it’s his 3rd season in the majors), then he looks like a valuable asset to any team’s pitching staff. None of his numbers really stick out to me, so that’s all I have to say about him.

3: Lineup Analysis

Blue Jays
1. Jose Bautista ® RF
2. Josh Donaldson ® 3B
3. Edwin Encarnacion ® DH
4. Michael Saunders (L) LF
5. Troy Tulowitzki ® SS
6. Justin Smoak (S) 1B
7. Russell Martin ® C
8. Darwin Barney ® 2B
9. Kevin Pillar ® CF

Twins
1. Brian Dozier ® 2B
2. Eduardo Nunez ® SS
3. Joe Mauer (L) 1B
4. Trevor Plouffe ® 3B
5. Byung Ho Park ® DH
6. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
7. Oswaldo Arcia (L) RF
8. Kurt Suzuki ® C
9. Danny Santana (S) CF

I don’t have many things to say about this lineup. I do think it’s interesting to see Arcia playing in RF, the position that was his back in 2014. I thought it was an odd move when Torii Hunter was signed and Arcia had to play LF instead of RF. I think Oswaldo might be a better fielder in right.

4: Eduardo Nunez
He’s the savior of yesterday’s game, and Nunez has been hitting out of his mind so far this season. Right now, Nunez is batting .331/.367/.492 with an OPS of .859. That’s pretty darn good especially considering the fact that’s been playing every day for the last month. He would be in 5th place in the American League for batting average (He’s nearly had enough plate appearances to qualify). With Joe Mauer’s decline in the past couple weeks, Nunez is this team’s best hitter by a wide margin.

I would guess that in a month or so, Nunez’s numbers will come back down to earth. However, with baseball being so unpredictable, who knows what will happen and when it will happen. So maybe Nunez will compete for the AL batting title. It could happen!

5: Jose Bautista
Dear Phil Hughes and relievers who might pitch tonight, Please don’t throw any pitches that Bautista can hit. I don’t care if you walk him 4 times, just please don’t give him another home run.
Yours Truly,
Danchat

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, glunn and 6 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#2 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,946 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

Dozier hitting .204 with .291 obp just doesn't make sense leading off. I don't understand this somebody explain.

• Danchat, Circus Boy and David HK like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#3 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• 5,205 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:07 AM

What I find interesting about the lineup is no Sano.It's Ok if he needs a break, but I would think Santana and Nunez would have been higher on the list.

Nunez hitting out of his mind.No kidding.But he's sustain it for 33 games! :th_alc:

• Jerr likes this

It's not my fault !

#4 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• 5,205 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

Dozier hitting .204 with .291 obp just doesn't make sense leading off. I don't understand this somebody explain.

You've got to admit, he's got really nice hair...

734546207001_3601038509001_tom34-brian-d

• Riverbrian and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

It's not my fault !

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,592 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Big smile is a requirement to hit first. Mauer wasn't smiling enough, that's why he was dropped. This lineup looks good for some runs,i say about 4 of them.
  • Riverbrian and HitInAPinch like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#6 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 2,967 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:23 AM

DO NOT pitch to Bautista.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#7 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 2,967 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

You've got to admit, he's got really nice hair...

734546207001_3601038509001_tom34-brian-d

What is this? Dawson's creek?

Edited by Pardon My Dinger, 22 May 2016 - 11:24 AM.

• Riverbrian, HitInAPinch and Vanimal46 like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#8 Jerr

Jerr

• 2,764 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

This:

The problem is that apparently at around 75 pitches, Hughes is losing velocity due to shoulder fatigue. So, does that mean he won’t go past 80 pitches today?
If so, Hughes should be immediately DL’d until he can throw more pitches without shoulder fatigue. What’s the point of throwing pitches in a lost season for Phil Hughes? He should rest his arm until he can pitch. He’s under contract for another 3 seasons after this one, so he shouldn’t waste his injured arm now.

Couldn't agree more Danchat  !!!

• Blake, Danchat and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,252 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

I am totally on board with resting Sano. As opposed to sending him to the minors. :)

Ryan told Provus he wants to see Hughes go nine today (paraphrasing slightly). Couldn't agree more. Good luck to him today.
  • Jerr and jokin like this

#10 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

This:

If so, Hughes should be immediately DL’d until he can throw more pitches without shoulder fatigue. What’s the point of throwing pitches in a lost season for Phil Hughes? He should rest his arm until he can pitch. He’s under contract for another 3 seasons after this one, so he shouldn’t waste his injured arm now.

Couldn't agree more Danchat  !!!

Well, if Hughes does end up having to go on the DL, it's comforting to know that we have a bunch of quality depth to replace him...

• twinsnorth49 and David HK like this

#11 Jerr

Jerr

• 2,764 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

Is there more to no Sano, today?

Sending a message, tired, needs to eat ;)????

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#12 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• 5,205 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Is there more to no Sano, today?

Sending a message, tired, needs to eat ;)????

It's all that running around he's had to do lately ^_^

• jokin likes this

It's not my fault !

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,068 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

Nice job this weekend, Danchat! Much appreciated.
  • Riverbrian and Danchat like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,370 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

They should try swearing at Bautista from the dugout in the hopes of getting him tossed.

I think that's their best shot to win.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, Blake and 6 others like this

#15 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,589 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

Maybe a rest for Sano is warranted today, I don't know. But I'd rather sit Mauer and have Sano in the game. (Whatever combination of 3B-1B-DH you prefer) I'd also start Polanco at 2B and bat him leadoff with Nunez in the two hole.
  • jokin, Deduno Abides and David HK like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,068 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

They should try swearing at Bautista from the dugout in the hopes of getting him tossed.

They should put one in his ribs on the first pitch.

• Riverbrian, jokin, David HK and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 6,829 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:11 PM

To pressure wash or not to pressure wash. That is the question.

Whether 'tis better to suffer the bitter disappointment of missing a second Twins game or see if a pressure washer can truly cut lines in concrete...*

*With apologies to The Bard.

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian, jokin and 1 other like this

#18 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• 4,506 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

I just wanted to congratulate everyone in advance. After this season is complete we will all have received our Ph.D.'s in disappointment.

That being said... Win Twins! Play for your pride and honor!

• Riverbrian likes this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:12 PM

Ha. But getting Donaldson tossed yesterday was a stroke of pure genius, possibly the key move in them winning the game yesterday. So, why not? With all the weak on-the-field performances this year, a value-added, sour grapes about decorum, digs-from-the-dugout approach might be just the ticket.

• Riverbrian, twinsnorth49, jimmer and 1 other like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,939 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

They should put one in his ribs on the first pitch.

And that, too.

Edited by jokin, 22 May 2016 - 12:13 PM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, blue jays, may 22, phil hughes, marcus stroman