Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Game Thread, Blue Jays v. Twins May 21 1:10pm

game thread twins blue jays danchat pat dean
  • Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#1 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:12 AM

Game Thread, Blue Jays v. Twins May 21 1:10pm

Starters: Happ (5-1, 3.40 ERA) v. Dean (0-1, 4.50 ERA)

1: Pat Dean
So, who is this Pat Dean guy? Let’s take a look at this AAA numbers from 2015 and 2016.

AAA 2015 – ERA 2.82 – H/9 8.5,BB/9 – 1.8, K/9 – 4.9
AAA 2016 – ERA 3.00 – H/9 8.2,BB/9 – 1.8, K/9 – 5.0

The first thing that pops out to me is that K/9. In a full season of AAA last year, Dean struck out 4.9 per 9 innings (for those who don’t know, 4.9 is inordinately low). And this is in AAA! Yikes. This is one of the prime reasons why many people here at Twins Daily didn’t want Dean to be added to the 40 man roster. In my opinion, Dean definitely deserves a cup of coffee in the majors – he did have a great ERA with precise control and three shutouts – I don’t think he belongs in a major league rotation. Dean reminds me of a couple past Twins, namely:

Anthony Swarzak: (career numbers) 4.45 ERA, 9.9 H/9, 2.6 BB/9, 5.6 K/9
Tommy Milone: (career numbers) 4.04 ERA, 9.5 H/9, 2.2 BB/9, 6.5 K/9

Yeah, I think Dean’s numbers might end up like these. Maybe he can hang on as a long reliever, but I don’t think he can do much more than that. But I do hope that he can show some promise for now, as the Twins desperately need whatever pitching they can get.

Does anyone remember the last time the Twins faced J. A. Happ? I didn’t have the time to fact-check this, but I do believe it was last season when he was playing with the Mariners, starting at Target Field. I was actually at the game, and the Twins shelled him for 7 runs over 3.1 innings. Happ gave up home runs to Dozier, Rosario, and Hicks. Eddie Rosario also hit a 2B & 3B and ended up a single short of a cycle. Too bad only Dozier’s with the team right now.

Happ was traded to the Pirates in what I thought was a head-scratching move, but the Pirates coaches are pitching wizards. Happ turned his Mariners 4.64 ERA – 10 Hits/9 – 6.8 K/9 into a 1.85 ERA – 7.4 H/9 – 9.8 K/9. Then he parlayed that success into a multi-year deal with his former team, the Blue Jays. So far Happ has performed pretty well, with a 3.40 ERA – 8.9 H/9 – 5.7 K/9. He’s not throwing quite as many strikeouts right now, but outside of that, he’s a solid starter who’s not going to wow you. The Twins will have their chances to hit off Happ, hopefully like they did last year.

3: Lineup
Twins
1. Brian Dozier ® 2B
2. Eduardo Nunez ® SS
3. Miguel Sano ® DH
4. Trevor Plouffe ® 3B
5. Byung Ho Park ® 1B
6. Robbie Grossman (S) LF
7. Darin Mastroianni ® RF
8. Kurt Suzuki ® C
9. Danny Santana (S) CF

Blue Jays
1. Jose Bautista ® RF
2. Josh Donaldson ® 3B
3. Edwin Encarnacion ® DH
4. Justin Smoak (S) 1B
5. Troy Tulowitzki ® SS
6. Michael Saunders (L) LF
7. Russell Martin ® C
8. Kevin Pillar ® CF
9. Darwin Barney ® 2B

My thoughts: Oh goody, Brian Dozier is back to leading off while batting .208, but at least his OBP is .292. Dozier’s been pretty terrible since July of 2015, and he’s still batting leadoff… I don’t get it.
Joe’s got a day off, and he probably needs it. No complaints there.
Finally, we get an outfield of Grossman-Santana-Mastroianni. Yikes. I’m fine with Grossman getting another start, but Mastro has never shown an ability to hit in the majors. I don’t think he’s suddenly going to start hitting major league hitting.

4: The Twins Bullpen

Ugh. I don’t want to be negative, but I want to take a closer look at the Twins’ bullpen and where their issues are coming from. Let’s take a look at stats from our struggling relievers:

Kevin Jepsen: ERA 4.96 (FIP 4.93), H/9 11, HR/9 1.7, BB/9 2.8, K/9 6.6
Trevor May: ERA 5.14 (FIP 4.76), H/9 9.9 H/9, HR/9 2.1, BB/9 3.9, K/9 12.9
Ryan Pressly: ERA 5.25 (FIP 5.13), H/9 9.8, HR/9 1.5, BB/9 5.3, K/9 9.0
Michael Tonkin: ERA 3.43 (FIP 3.85), H/9 7.7, HR/9 1.3, BB/9 3.0, K/9 10.7

Analyzing these stats, I’m seeing a couple trends here. First off, everyone but Tonkin is giving up too many HRs. May especially. Another problem is with walks – Pressly has been struggling massively with giving up walks, and May’s numbers are troublesome, too. Tonkin’s numbers look fine, but he’s been a disappointment in pressure situations.
I know May, Jepsen, and Pressly can be good relievers. But what’s going on? Have they thrown too many innings/pitches? Does Eddie Guardado have no idea how to coach the bullpen? Was the loss of Glen Perkins this devastating?

5: Not So Fun Fact!
According to Baseball-Reference.com, Brian Dozier has a WAR of 0.2. After one game with the Twins, Robbie Grossman’s WAR is also 0.2.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Enjoy the game and stay classy!

• USAFChief, Blake, LaBombo and 6 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#2 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,176 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Good job. 

• Riverbrian and Danchat like this

#3 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

why we can't have nice things

• 9,003 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:35 AM

Good job.

Concur.
  • Riverbrian and Danchat like this

#4 Twinsbar107

Twinsbar107

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 205 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

Well on my way to the game... but squad today?

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

5: Not So Fun Fact!
According to Baseball-Reference.com, Brian Dozier has a WAR of 0.2. After one game with the Twins, Robbie Grossman’s WAR is also 0.2.

Good catch. Slice that stat up from either end of the comp and you get a misleading handful of nothing for the bWAR stat. (What does Dozier have to [not?] do to become a below replacement value level player?)

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#6 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,899 posts
  • LocationTucson

Concur.

Concur, on the concur.
  • Riverbrian and jokin like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

Concur, on the concur.

Of course...

• Riverbrian likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#8 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

why we can't have nice things

• 9,003 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Anyways, thanks for reading. Enjoy the game and stay classy!

Hold on a moment... My license says class d.

Not sure how legal it is for me to pretend to be classy...
  • Blake, Riverbrian, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

#9 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,661 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

There are many days during the baseball season that I'm jealous of people heading out to the ballpark.

After seeing that lineup, I've decided that today is not one of those days. 

• Blake, Riverbrian, twinsnorth49 and 1 other like this

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,418 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

An addition for the Not So Fun Fact: Juan Centeno also has a 0.2 WAR.

• jokin, Hosken Bombo Disco and David HK like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

There are many days during the baseball season that I'm jealous of people heading out to the ballpark.

After seeing that lineup, I've decided that today is not one of those days. 

As stated in the other thread, this is the season where no satire or attempt at gallows humor in mocking a Twins lineup is safe from actually becoming reality. You post the most outlandish prediction for a starting OF you can think of the Twins ever putting on the field in 2016, "knowing" it's far too absurd to ever come to pass... Mastro/Grossman/Santana... voila, your "dream" comes true.

It's like the Twins are breaking the 4th Wall of Comedy- you ask for it, you get it.

• ashbury, Blake, LaBombo and 3 others like this

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

An addition for the Not So Fun Fact: Juan Centeno also has a 0.2 WAR.

Come now.. the funny just writes itself. (Zuke is sitting at -0.1 bWAR).

#13 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,661 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

As stated in the other thread, this is the season where no satire or attempt at gallows humor in mocking a Twins lineup is safe from actually becoming reality. You post the most outlandish prediction for a starting OF you can think of the Twins ever putting on the field in 2016, "knowing" it's far too absurd to ever come to pass... Mastro/Grossman/Santana... voila, your "dream" comes true.

It's like the Twins are breaking the 4th Wall of Comedy- you ask for it, you get it.

Today's OF or a "Twins Legends OF" featuring Mark Davidson in LF, John Moses in CF and Randy Bush in RF. And I'm not talking about these guys in their prime, I'm talking present day. I honestly think the only thing today's starters would have on them is foot speed.

#14 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

If only the players were allowed to address the fans directly, we might actually find out what the hell is going on. :)

(and by players, I mean the younger, mostly Latin American players)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

Today's OF or a "Twins Legends OF" featuring Mark Davidson in LF, John Moses in CF and Randy Bush in RF. And I'm not talking about these guys in their prime, I'm talking present day. I honestly think the only thing today's starters would have on them is foot speed.

I literally LOLd at your post... so true.

• Riverbrian and jud6312 like this

#16 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

Concur.

Ditto.
  • Riverbrian likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#17 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

Good luck to Dean today. I will be following from a distance.
  • Riverbrian likes this
- J. L. Borges

#18 formerly33

formerly33

Captain of the City Watch

• 3,027 posts
  • LocationImperial City

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:22 AM

... Brian Dozier is back to leading off while batting .208, but at least his OBP is .292.

That's when the sad truth struck home. We as Twins fans have degraded ourselves to an abominable level. :(

• Riverbrian and Platoon like this
Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch.

#19 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• 3,995 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

So, who is this Pat Dean guy? Let’s take a look at this AAA numbers from 2015 and 2016.

AAA 2015 – ERA 2.82 – H/9 8.5,BB/9 – 1.8, K/9 – 4.9
AAA 2016 – ERA 3.00 – H/9 8.2,BB/9 – 1.8, K/9 – 5.0

The first thing that pops out to me is that K/9. In a full season of AAA last year, Dean struck out 4.9 per 9 innings (for those who don’t know, 4.9 is inordinately low). And this is in AAA! Yikes. This is one of the prime reasons why many people here at Twins Daily didn’t want Dean to be added to the 40 man roster. In my opinion, Dean definitely deserves a cup of coffee in the majors – he did have a great ERA with precise control and three shutouts – I don’t think he belongs in a major league rotation. Dean reminds me of a couple past Twins, namely:

Anthony Swarzak: (career numbers) 4.45 ERA, 9.9 H/9, 2.6 BB/9, 5.6 K/9
Tommy Milone: (career numbers) 4.04 ERA, 9.5 H/9, 2.2 BB/9, 6.5 K/9

Yeah, I think Dean’s numbers might end up like these. Maybe he can hang on as a long reliever, but I don’t think he can do much more than that. But I do hope that he can show some promise for now, as the Twins desperately need whatever pitching they can get.

Reading this made me think of Andrew Albers. He was great for three games. And I understand he's back in Rochester again.

• jokin likes this

#20 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,398 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

maybe it's time for the old billy martin trick of drawing the lineup out of a hat?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, twins, blue jays, danchat, pat dean