Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Awesome brawl at Texas

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

http://screengrabber...game-1776771655

Started when relief pitcher Matt Bush "accidentally" hit Jose Bautista with a fastball in the ribs.Both sides were hot.Two batters later, Smoak grounds into a sure double play but Bautista goes in Utley-like (interference is called) and the second baseman - Roughed Odor - did not like it.A little shoving and then a real punch and Bautista was nearly TKO'd!For baseball, it was amazing.Sadly, it's the last time these two teams play each other this year, unless they meet in the playoffs.

The next inning, the Blue Jays immediately hit Prince Fielder and the benches emptied again but nothing happened.Fielder went to first base.He probably knew he was going to get hit.

#2 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:49 PM

Odor also tried to throw a ball right at Bautista's face/head. 

#3 formerly33

formerly33

resurrector of the dead in my spare time

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

I want to say "immature" but will refrain from doing so as such a comparison could only serve to vilify young people like myself.

• nicksaviking and spinowner like this

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

#4 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:39 PM

I want to say "immature" but will refrain from doing so as such a comparison could only serve to vilify young people like myself.

My thoughts exactly.  I wanted to say immature but since that usually is a reference to young people, i thought it would be an insult to compare young people to these goof balls.  These are grown men and they are doing cute little pushing and shoving and yelling.  If I did that every time someone made me mad at my job, I'd be fired in an instant!  And they are being paid a fortune!  Unbelievable.

• Eris likes this

#5 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,850 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

Jeepers-  Joey Bats is lucky Odor kept his glove on, and just gave him a followup swat, or it might have been lights out.  That was good form on the overhand right cross-  from the years toiling in the Gold Gloves back when, that was not some lucky roundhouse, that was a cat who's had some background. Good target, good balance, hip turn, contact-  ouch.

Too bad that all went off, it's not like it's any good for the game, but still, I gotta appreciate Odor's homage to the Sweet Science in that moment.  

• gunnarthor, Kevin, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#6 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,850 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

My thoughts exactly.  I wanted to say immature but since that usually is a reference to young people, i thought it would be an insult to compare young people to these goof balls.  These are grown men and they are doing cute little pushing and shoving and yelling.  If I did that every time someone made me mad at my job, I'd be fired in an instant!  And they are being paid a fortune!  Unbelievable.

Heh... reminded me of a favorite New Yorker cartoon of long ago--

Guy in office, getting yelled at by boss.  Thought balloon:  "I could take this guy."

• ashburyjohn likes this

#7 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Kind of a cheap shot by Odor.Who's expecting to get punched out of the blue in a baseball game?

Most brawls are about two-hand shoves and a few round-house swings that miss.

But, that was a punch.Should be at least a week suspension, I would guess.

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Bautista would have easily got a shot in if it weren't for Adrian Beltre grabbing him almost immediately after Odor hit him and restraining him the entire scene thereafter.

The worst part of all this was the freaking Texas crowd. Cheering as loud as the stadium had been all day when Bautista was hit initially. Then even louder and a STANDING OVATION when Bush was taken out of the game. Chanting Odor's name after he's removed from the game. What the hell?

• PseudoSABR, Dman, DocBauer and 3 others like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#9 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:14 PM

Jeepers-  Joey Bats is lucky Odor kept his glove on, and just gave him a followup swat, or it might have been lights out.  That was good form on the overhand right cross-  from the years toiling in the Gold Gloves back when, that was not some lucky roundhouse, that was a cat who's had some background. Good target, good balance, hip turn, contact-  ouch.

Too bad that all went off, it's not like it's any good for the game, but still, I gotta appreciate Odor's homage to the Sweet Science in that moment.  

I have a lot of appreciation for how difficult boxing is. You have to be strong, you have to have endurance, you have to have quickness and you have to use strategy. Top flight boxers are incredible athletes.

But boxing is the only sport in which the goal is to purposely inflict a severe brain injury on your opponent. The world would be better off if it was illegal. Sweet science my @$$.

Edited by spinowner, 15 May 2016 - 08:17 PM.

• Craig Arko, Oldgoat_MN, PseudoSABR and 6 others like this

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,099 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

The worst part of all this was the freaking Texas crowd. Cheering as loud as the stadium had been all day when Bautista was hit initially. Then even louder and a STANDING OVATION when Bush was taken out of the game. Chanting Odor's name after he's removed from the game. What the hell?

I remember when the Metrodome sounded similar when Gant was muscled off of first base (I mean, fell.Because he lost his balance).

I have no problem with the crowd.They supported their team - we'd have done it too.I actually wish these two teams played each other more.Maybe in the playoffs again.

#11 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:50 PM

I imagine Beltre was reminding Bautista that a broken fist (or worse, broken eye socket) could cost him tens of millions of dollars.

• David HK and FunnyPenguin like this

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

I have no problem with the crowd.They supported their team - we'd have done it too.I actually wish these two teams played each other more.Maybe in the playoffs again.

Yeah, that makes one of us. The shots of young children yelling at Bautista and gesturing toward the field in ways that caused the camera to have to pan away immediately certainly helped me to debate humanity's future.

• ashburyjohn and jimmer like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#13 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

Reminds me of the night I went to a boxing match, and suddenly a hockey game broke out!

I always love that one...

• deanlambrecht, Blake, gunnarthor and 5 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#14 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

Bautista would have easily got a shot in if it weren't for Adrian Beltre grabbing him almost immediately after Odor hit him and restraining him the entire scene thereafter.

Bautista wasn't going to do anything but get his ass kicked. Flailing your hands around isn't to effective in a fight. 

• gunnarthor, SwainZag and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#15 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,186 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:23 AM

I'm still trying to get past the title of this thread ... how is any brawl in any sport 'awesome?'
  • Mike Sixel, biggentleben, TheLeviathan and 5 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#16 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

Good analysis of boxing (though I know nothing about it). However, in this instance, a slug in the face was the last thing Bautista expected. So ... I could do the same thing to someone I meet walking down the sidewalk.

Hope Odor gets a 30-game suspension.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 16 May 2016 - 01:38 AM.

• d-mac likes this

#17 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:38 AM

Yeah, that makes one of us. The shots of young children yelling at Bautista and gesturing toward the field in ways that caused the camera to have to pan away immediately certainly helped me to debate humanity's future.

Probably similar to humanity's past ... only there are 7 billion of us now.

• d-mac likes this

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

Baseball players were out fighting in the middle of the stadium because one guy got really excited about a huge hit 6 months ago.

Ridiculously childish.

• Mike Sixel, DocBauer, jimmer and 1 other like this

#19 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,619 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:31 AM

Hope Odor gets a 30-game suspension.

Over-reacting a bit?

Remember this?  Not even sure that Ryan missed a start.

What I don't get is how Jesse Chavez who hit Fielder after all this still remained in the game.  That second brawl was on the umps.

• Steve Lein, ScrapTheNickname, SwainZag and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,619 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

Baseball players were out fighting in the middle of the stadium because one guy got really excited about a huge hit 6 months ago.

Ridiculously childish.

No I think that when one guy tried to break the other's leg with a dirty slide, he got punched on the face by his intended victim.

Edited by Thrylos, 16 May 2016 - 06:32 AM.

• Steve Lein, USAFChief, gunnarthor and 6 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98