Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Replacing Kevin Jepsen

kevin jepsen glen perkins tyler jay nick burdi jt chargois
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

We all know exactly how this is going to end.
Terry Ryan is going to trade a legit prospect like nick Gordon or Steven Gonsalves for a proven closer, aka a league average reliever who happens to have experience pitching the 9th inning, it will not be a better pitcher than we could have gotten in the off-season for nothing except money.

When was the last time Ryan traded a prospect of the caliber of Gordon?

(Hint: the answer is "never")
  • jimmer likes this

#22 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

When was the last time Ryan traded a prospect of the caliber of Gordon?

(Hint: the answer is "never")

or really, anywhere near the caliber?  hint: same answer :-)

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

Was Ramos Terry or Smith?

Regardless, maybe not Gordon, but it will be a legit prospect like Gonsalves or Thorpe or someone like that, a borderline top 100 guy.

#24 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:02 PM

Was Ramos Terry or Smith?

Regardless, maybe not Gordon, but it will be a legit prospect like Gonsalves or Thorpe or someone like that, a borderline top 100 guy.

Ramos was Smith.  

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:13 PM

Jepsen shouldn't be a major league closer on any team. The fact that they went into the season with him as a back-up plan after watching Perkins stroll around out of shape and implode two years in a row, is highly suspect. Frankly,
Jepsen might not even get 7th inning in a good number of the high end pens in the league.....and he's this team's closer.

You can point to depth if you'd like, but IMO, there are more effective relievers in the major league, and in minors. It's just another case of poor personnel management, and choosing seniority over the player that actually gives the team the best chance to win baseball games. This organization has a long history of that all over the diamond, and that's why they've been losers for over two decades.

#26 Dakota Farmer

Dakota Farmer

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:33 PM

Terry won't trade an elite prospect, he never has and shouldn't. I like Pressly as possible closer and May in the 8th!

#27 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

With as heralded and supposed deep of a farm system the Twins have, I don't think it'd be a problem to trade a quality prospect (i.e. a hope and a prayer) for an actual proven quality MLB.

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

With as heralded and supposed deep of a farm system the Twins have, I don't think it'd be a problem to trade a quality prospect (i.e. a hope and a prayer) for an actual proven quality MLB.

I agree, just please not for a bullpen arm.
Good relievers can be had every year in the off-season and cost nothing but money. I wouldn't even trade a b prospect for a reliever.

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,076 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, but the nature of starters makes that more acceptable. Only one starter goes on any given day whereas you can use an entire bullpen on any given day.

It makes it a lot harder to make in-game decisions when you get to pick between mediocre guy A, B, C, and D.

true fewer decisions are made about the rotation, but when 162 games per year are started by mediocrity, the decisions don't matter and you won't be over 81 wins, now... I wish that bullpen was living up to mediocre as the standard. Yikes

Edited by Sconnie, 29 April 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#30 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

I think the immediate solution is to move May into the rotation along with Berrios and Meyer into a bullpen role or JT Chargois.

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,875 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Dear Twins,

I'd like to offer my services to pitch in the closer role for the time being.I'll be more than happy to take the league minimum, and I'm pretty certain I'll blow my first seven saves too.Maybe I'll get lucky and only giveup a few warning track fly balls in an outing. 

Sincerely,

Diehardtwinsfan

#32 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,875 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 May 2016 - 04:07 PM

I think the immediate solution is to move May into the rotation along with Berrios and Meyer into a bullpen role or JT Chargois.

I've got to think Shaggy is going to be up sooner than later given the cluster that is the Twins pen.I don't see May moving out of it though.That weakens it.Even though I wholeheartedly agree that May shouldn't have been there in the first place, but that's a problem that should have been solved last December.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kevin jepsen, glen perkins, tyler jay, nick burdi, jt chargois