Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• Please log in to reply
2256 replies to this topic

#901 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Rawr!

• Twins Mods
  • 18,290 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

ThePuck:

;)

• USAFChief likes this

“Concern yourself not with what is right and what is wrong but with what is important.” ~Unknown

#902 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

yeah, but that happens in quick chats. I imagine that's why a followup was asked by the poster.

and he's not a Mariners blogger :-)

Of course he is a Mariners' blogger. Despite the fact that he is outsourcing his blog these days...

Wonder whether someone asked if the Dodgers had Dozier, would they trade him to the Twins for DeLeon straight up too...

Duh.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#903 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

Of course he is a Mariners' blogger. Despite the fact that he is outsourcing his blog these days...

Wonder whether someone asked if the Dodgers had Dozier, would they trade him to the Twins for DeLeon straight up too...

Duh.

He used to be a Mariners blogger.  He has long since moved on and has a bunch of experience covering all teams.

#904 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

I like Cameron, generally enjoy his thinking, but I can't endorse his Dozier for De Leon take here.
  • diehardtwinsfan, PseudoSABR and jimmer like this
Papers...business papers.

#905 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:53 PM

He used to be a Mariners blogger.  He has long since moved on and has a bunch of experience covering all teams.

Sure.And rooting for all of them I suspect;)

-----

#906 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,875 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

I like Cameron, generally enjoy his thinking, but I can't endorse his Dozier for De Leon take here.

I disagree also but to be fair, Cameron appears to be unjustifiably high on De Leon, not down on Dozier.

I like the guy but a 24-year-old righty throwing 92-93 and a below average breaking pitch? That seems much more iffy than Cameron describes. Seems like he has him as a top 10 kind of prospect.
  • Oxtung likes this

#907 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

I disagree also but to be fair, Cameron appears to be unjustifiably high on De Leon, not down on Dozier.

I like the guy but a 24-year-old righty throwing 92-93 and a below average breaking pitch? That seems much more iffy than Cameron describes. Seems like he has him as a top 10 kind of prospect.

Cameron gives great credence to changeup guys, which might explain his valuation.

Sickels also had him as a A/A- prospect, which would put him in the 5-10 range for pitchers.

I like De Leon, would gladly have him as a centerpiece, but there is too much risk for a straight up offer.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#908 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,118 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Sickels had him as the #5 prospect in baseball in his end of September prospect listing (so after the minor league system AND draft).

Edited by jimmer, 11 January 2017 - 07:00 PM.

• nicksaviking and d-mac like this

#909 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,281 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

Sickels had him as the #5 prospect in baseball in his end of September prospect listing (so after the minor league system AND draft).

He's an A- now, so I doubt that will be the case when he releases his big list.No question he'd be instantly the top prospect in our system though. 

#910 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,792 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

He's an A- now, so I doubt that will be the case when he releases his big list.No question he'd be instantly the top prospect in our system though. 

I'd question that ;)

And not only because he already started 4 games in the majors.

-----

#911 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

9:12
J. Peterman: Do you still believe in Berrios?
9:12
Paul Swydan: I WANT to believe. But my faith is waning, for sure.
9:13
Dr Evil: While the Twins may not have a huge # of options for Dozier beyond the Dodgers, should they hold out for a significant 2nd piece beyond Deleon?
9:13
Paul Swydan: Yes, absolutely. The Dodgers are bluffing. They’re not starting Kike Hernandez at second all year.

• nicksaviking, bluechipper and d-mac like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#912 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:00 AM

I don't agree with Dave that De Leon by himself is a reasonable return for Dozier.... However, I do agree with him that the Twins are making a mistake holding Dozier for a better offer down the line. 

The Twins are in between the ultimate rock and a hard place. It's a mistake to hang on to him- very low likelihood of a better deal at the deadline, plus a high risk of Dozier slumping, not to mention one half year less of production. Dozier is worth more than De Leon right now, but there isn't much of a market for him right now. The Twins have zero leverage and the Dodgers know this.

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#913 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

Well, John Sickels has De Leon as his #5 overall post-2016 prospect (released Sept, 24th). A lot of people are high on De Leon. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#914 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:07 AM

Beat me to it!

#915 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:30 AM

The Twins are in between the ultimate rock and a hard place. It's a mistake to hang on to him- very low likelihood of a better deal at the deadline, plus a high risk of Dozier slumping, not to mention one half year less of production. Dozier is worth more than De Leon right now, but there isn't much of a market for him right now. The Twins have zero leverage and the Dodgers know this.

The leverage is they don't trade him and the Dodgers have a worse solution. It's not ideal leverage but it's not zero.

• nicksaviking and Platoon like this

#916 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

The leverage is they don't trade him and the Dodgers have a worse solution. It's not ideal leverage but it's not zero.

The Dodgers are the favorite to win their division and are one of the top teams in baseball. The Cubs are going to regress without Chapman and Fowler. How much would Dozier improve their team over a different option? To me Dozier seems like a luxury for them. 

#917 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

The Dodgers are the favorite to win their division and are one of the top teams in baseball. The Cubs are going to regress without Chapman and Fowler. How much would Dozier improve their team over a different option? To me Dozier seems like a luxury for them. 

Probably true. Which is why there's no trade.

#918 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

BL27
12:02 what to expect about Miguel Sano in 2017 ? 35 HR - 90 RBI ?

Eno Sarris
12:02 Too early to hang the injury tag on him, so yeah.

Bork
12:05 How do you predict the Twins/Dozier saga ending?

Eno Sarris
12:05 A trade, probably to the Dodgers.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 12 January 2017 - 11:10 AM.

• d-mac likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#919 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,132 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

JT Snow
12:22 Hey Eno - do you see Buxton fulfilling all the promise this year? Chances on a .280 season with 25+ homers and 50+ steals?

Eno Sarris
12:22 I'm pretty down on him.
So many whiffs.
Mechanics so messed up.

• Vanimal46 and d-mac like this

#920 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:26 AM

JT Snow
12:22 Hey Eno - do you see Buxton fulfilling all the promise this year? Chances on a .280 season with 25+ homers and 50+ steals?

Eno Sarris
12:22 I'm pretty down on him.
So many whiffs.
Mechanics so messed up.

Ha! I was just going to post that... Also, JT Snow... Haven't read that name in 10+ years. 

• d-mac likes this