Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• Please log in to reply
2051 replies to this topic

#21 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:51 PM

Sometimes I feel like we -- I also write at Fangraphs -- are in a rush to be so smart that we also want to be really dickish.

You know, as if Eduardo Escobar hasn't been a fine shortstop prior to this year. Or Kyle Gibson not being a decent starter -- or at least not the "first guy out" on the depth chart. 

Snark only works if it's smart. 

All the Fangraph articles I've read had a pretty good helping of snark. 

It's not my fault !

#22 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

" I started with it, I got rid of it, and brought it back,” Buxton said, saying that the changes along the way were “just to change” and came from “not trusting myself.”"

Apparently, from pitch to pitch...

Um, not listening to his coaches?Head case?  

The 1st video shows a different problem:pitch recognition.The mechanics look pretty sound.Experience is the cure and if that's the only problem, then Buxton should stay in the majors.But it's not.

2nd pitch, I'll argue that Parker is wrong.I don't believe that toe tap is a planned strategy.If it is, it's a really stupid one.As shown in the video, that swing was not more compact. 

What happened here is Buxton got fooled again, over-committed to the pitch and, what seemed like, trying to reload his swing somehow.You'll never generate bat speed that way.A lot of wind and a lot of K's.

Me, the 1st time I'd see that toe tap, back to AAA.He's gotta learn sound, consistently repeatable, mechanics.

I agree. Pitch recognition. Did he actively work on that at AAA or was he told to just mash? If toe tap helps him slap the ball on the ground with two strikes. But I think he had an ugly stat with two strikes last time up.

Not listening to his coaches? Or coaches don't know what to tell him? Or neither or both or nothing to be worried about? Only the Twins know, and I bet even they don't know :)

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

That first quote.....where are the coaches in that situation, to stop him? I don't get it. A tennis coach or a golf coach would kill her pupil for that.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#24 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:56 PM

That first quote.....where are the coaches in that situation, to stop him? I don't get it. A tennis coach or a golf coach would kill her pupil for that.

Looking for the users manual:

children-psychology-child_psychology-sma

It's not my fault !

#25 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

I missed that part.......I think they are surprisingly imprecise in their writing, for a mostly math site.

Do we still think Fangrapghs was wrong about believing Berrios would be an upgrade over Gibson?

#26 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:07 PM

All the Fangraph articles I've read had a pretty good helping of snark. 

Depending on the topic, absolutely.

• HitInAPinch likes this

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,504 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:57 PM

Might be roundoff, since they weren't showing any decimal places.

1.6 becomes 2,

17.4 becomes 17,

17.4-1.6=15.8 becomes 16.

Sumpin' like that?

Totally like that.That's what Excel does :)But it is operates on N significant figures.If you cut those to 2 for your tables, you better make sure that the result makes sense in 2 significant figures ;)

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

Do we still think Fangrapghs was wrong about believing Berrios would be an upgrade over Gibson?

Well, I don't think that person knows the Twins very well, but yeah. Pretty sure Berrios would be an upgrade over just about anyone. Most talented pitcher on staff.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#29 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:38 PM

Well, I don't think that person knows the Twins very well, but yeah. Pretty sure Berrios would be an upgrade over just about anyone. Most talented pitcher on staff.

I am not saying that you are one of the people who does the following:

I think too many people categorize anyone who doesn't write exclusively about the Twins as not knowing them very well and, therefore, tend to just dismiss articles written by those people (especially when they are negative.  Funny how some will point to an article written to praise a Twin or the team if written by someone like that though).  

Just because an article doesn't point out every single angle on everything about the subject down to the smallest detail in an article written for the masses doesn't mean it should be blown off as drivel.

• Mike Sixel and Pardon My Dinger like this

#30 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

I am not saying that you are one of the people who does the following:

I think too many people categorize anyone who doesn't write exclusively about the Twins as not knowing them very well and, therefore, tend to just dismiss articles written by those people (especially when they are negative. Funny how some will point to an article written to praise a Twin or the team if written by someone like that though).

Just because an article doesn't point out every single angle on everything about the subject down to the smallest detail in an article written for the masses doesn't mean it should be blown off as drivel.

Agreed.
  • jimmer likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

Today there is an article on Dozier.....

http://www.fangraphs...t-of-the-slump/

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

He's fixed! Now trade him...
  • Dr. Evil and Vanimal46 like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,798 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

Was browsing on the old Fangraphs chat today and saw a familiar name.....

mike sixel

2:26 Buxton still having issues......I know prospects can struggle and still turn out to be great, but there are degrees of struggle. What are your thoughts on Lord Byron these days?
Eric A Longenhagen
2:27 I think Buxton is so physically gifted that he's never before had to make any significant adjustments. It's unfortunate that he's going to have to do it on such a well-lit stage. I still think he's going to be one hell of a big leaguer, but it's going to take some time.

• Mike Frasier Law and wsnydes like this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

Was browsing on the old Fangraphs chat today and saw a familiar name.....

mike sixel

2:26 Buxton still having issues......I know prospects can struggle and still turn out to be great, but there are degrees of struggle. What are your thoughts on Lord Byron these days?
Eric A Longenhagen
2:27 I think Buxton is so physically gifted that he's never before had to make any significant adjustments. It's unfortunate that he's going to have to do it on such a well-lit stage. I still think he's going to be one hell of a big leaguer, but it's going to take some time.

Funny, I just went to read the chat and was going to post that!

• Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,798 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

Twins related nugget on Fangraphs chat today:

12:16

Terry Ryan: Over/under of 1.5 trades I make by July 31st. Which side are you betting on?
12:16
Dave Cameron: Over, but they’re probably smaller deals. Santana could be an August trade, so no big rush there.

#36 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

Actually for the Twins an August trade makes sense in that if they have to pay significant amounts of money they would probably rather have someone claim them. Any of the position players there wouldn't be any advantage in losing them that way. One position player of what they have would be reasonable expectation, two in a heavy demand market. Suzuki isn't any better or worse than any other catcher available. Nunez is probabilityone of the better utility players.Depends on if a pretender thinks they can be a contender.Towards the end of the month there will be a clearer picture.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:19 PM

these are actually from KLAW's chat today:

"I think Max Kepler is going to be fine. Takes some pretty good ABs already. Potential all star? Above average player? 18-20 Taters a year?

KLAW:

Potential All Star. could see 20-25 HR, maybe only .240-260 most years, but with solid OBP because he'll walk. I say potential All Star because if I'm light with the bat, or he has a high BABIP year and hits .280, he'll be an All Star.

"help decide a debate between friends. Dozier and Stewart to the Dodger for Jose De Leon and a low level prospect"

KLAW:

Which friend is the delusional Dodgers fan?

• nicksaviking, bluechipper, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

these are actually from KLAW's chat today:

"I think Max Kepler is going to be fine. Takes some pretty good ABs already. Potential all star? Above average player? 18-20 Taters a year?

KLAW:

Potential All Star. could see 20-25 HR, maybe only .240-260 most years, but with solid OBP because he'll walk. I say potential All Star because if I'm light with the bat, or he has a high BABIP year and hits .280, he'll be an All Star.

"help decide a debate between friends. Dozier and Stewart to the Dodger for Jose De Leon and a low level prospect"

KLAW:

Which friend is the delusional Dodgers fan?

Good stuff on both comments from KLAW.

Also, not to forget the obligatory: KLAW hates the Twins.

• Mike Sixel and bluechipper like this

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,500 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:30 PM

KLAW also posted is top 25 under 25 on ESPN.....

Kepler, Buxton,Sano made the honorable mention, but NOT in the top 25.

#40 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

I am amazed at how quickly people have become skeptical of Berrios.  I am a skeptic of the Twins ability to develop talent, but I still believe in the talent.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this