Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• Please log in to reply
2615 replies to this topic

#2561 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,929 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

Burn of the day.

Lol ... glad I read to the end because I was going to post that quote and write 'Burn!'

• Mike Sixel likes this
“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#2562 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Pardon my ignorance...what is a 50?

5x better than Bo Derek apparently. 

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#2563 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 02:57 PM

Pardon my ignorance...what is a 50?

Sadly, I am now at the point where I am hoping it is the new "30".

• USAFChief, Thrylos, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#2564 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,398 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

Very nice to see someone call Twins ownership out on the fact that it never was Mauers contract that kept them from spending money. It was simply the miserly ways of Jim Pohlad.
  • Carole Keller and gunnarthor like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#2565 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

Southern Bleacher Bum
10:17 Will Sano ever get his strikeout rate below 30%?

Jeff Sullivan
10:18 Maybe once, but he has that blend of swings and misses, and patience. So he already gets into deep counts, which makes the prospect of striking out ever present

Tim
10:29 Am I an idiot for ever thinking LoMo was actually a good baseball player at some point?

Jeff Sullivan
10:29 Checking in on the 2017 breakouts: Alonso has been bad. Morrison has been bad. Smoak has been fantastic! That's 1 out of 3
10:30 Morrison will get going at some point, but this is ugly. You can see why the market didn't bend over backwards for these guys

Edited by Mike Sixel, 13 April 2018 - 11:36 AM.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#2566 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

Very nice to see someone call Twins ownership out on the fact that it never was Mauers contract that kept them from spending money. It was simply the miserly ways of Jim Pohlad.

I think many of us fans have long said that Mauer's contract has never been a hindrance.

While it's easy to lay the issue at the feet of the Pohlads, there didn't seem to be any issue pushing payroll this year. I don't think we can definitively say that it was the Pohlad's who were implicitly behind the lack of free agent contracts. It was a different economic climate, but the Twins were comparatively big spenders back when Andy McPhail was running things too.

Ugh, playing Devil's Advocate for the Pohlad's leaves me a bit queasy.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#2567 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 11:51 AM

I think many of us fans have long said that Mauer's contract has never been a hindrance.

While it's easy to lay the issue at the feet of the Pohlads, there didn't seem to be any issue pushing payroll this year. I don't think we can definitively say that it was the Pohlad's who were implicitly behind the lack of free agent contracts. It was a different economic climate, but the Twins were comparatively big spenders back when Andy McPhail was running things too.

While the Twins moved payroll some, it really wasn't that much in comparison to the league. Last year, they were about 21st in payroll, this year they are 18th (although I'll guess that insurance took some of the hit for Hughes last year and probably will again this year). 

And the Pohlads were very much the reason we went cheap and started trading off high priced contracts and stars in the 1990s. The financial landscape of baseball changed at that point and the Pohlads ran for the lowest rung. In 2001, Carl Pohlad said it was important to keep bonuses low for the guys we draft.

#2568 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 12:42 PM

Do you think Joe Mauer is a HOFer if he retires today? What if he plays a few more years at a reasonable rate?

A: Mauer is off to a hot start and just picked up his 2,000th career hit last night, so here’s hoping he has many years left. If he were hit by a bus today I think his case would be stronger than a lot of people think — he really had elite offense for a guy who has still played far more games as a catcher than anyplace else. Offense that ranks quite nicely alongside that of some Hall of Fame catchers. That said, I don’t think he’d have a snowflake’s chance today, and I suspect he’ll have a very tough time even if he continues to play for several years. The longer he plays, the more he’s viewed as a first baseman/DH, the less he’s viewed as a catcher. And that’s before you get to the stuff about (a) his game being under-appreciated because so much of his value is tied up in getting on base; and (B) the almost pathological sort of crap he gets from local fans and the press in media. I’m not sure who goes to bat for Mauer in a Hall of Fame case, and I suspect that, barring an unexpected run of near-MVP-level performances between the ages of 35-40, he’ll fall pretty far short when he one day hits the ballot.

http://mlb.nbcsports...r-mailbag-2/amp

#2569 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Do you think Joe Mauer is a HOFer if he retires today? What if he plays a few more years at a reasonable rate?

A: Mauer is off to a hot start and just picked up his 2,000th career hit last night, so here’s hoping he has many years left. If he were hit by a bus today I think his case would be stronger than a lot of people think — he really had elite offense for a guy who has still played far more games as a catcher than anyplace else. Offense that ranks quite nicely alongside that of some Hall of Fame catchers. That said, I don’t think he’d have a snowflake’s chance today, and I suspect he’ll have a very tough time even if he continues to play for several years. The longer he plays, the more he’s viewed as a first baseman/DH, the less he’s viewed as a catcher. And that’s before you get to the stuff about (a) his game being under-appreciated because so much of his value is tied up in getting on base; and ( :cool: the almost pathological sort of crap he gets from local fans and the press in media. I’m not sure who goes to bat for Mauer in a Hall of Fame case, and I suspect that, barring an unexpected run of near-MVP-level performances between the ages of 35-40, he’ll fall pretty far short when he one day hits the ballot.

http://mlb.nbcsports...r-mailbag-2/amp

I guess this is it's own thread but I just don't see that. When he retires the "old" voters will appreciate the batting titles and MVP while the "new" voters will care about his WAR. I'm also not sure Calcetta's arguments about local support are fair. Sure, Mauer got some crap from time to time but he's still extremely well liked and has generally been treated pretty nicely over the years to the point that we're still complaining about a Souhan piece from six years ago that was (mostly) fair.

#2570 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:05 AM

I guess this is it's own thread but I just don't see that. When he retires the "old" voters will appreciate the batting titles and MVP while the "new" voters will care about his WAR. I'm also not sure Calcetta's arguments about local support are fair. Sure, Mauer got some crap from time to time but he's still extremely well liked and has generally been treated pretty nicely over the years to the point that we're still complaining about a Souhan piece from six years ago that was (mostly) fair.

Yeah...

Q: Who goes to bat for Mauer?

A: Pretty much every sabr-inclined writer in the country, if only for his sheer uniqueness as a player.

#2571 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,839 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:13 AM

Burn of the day.

So speaking of questionable perceptions...

While I enjoyed this comment, the number of Mauer jerseys we see all over TF and in MN say something else altogether. I suspect much of that perception is more Star Trib/Pioneer Press driven.Just my 2 cents. I think most Minnesotans appreciate Mauer.

#2572 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,839 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:16 AM

Yeah...

Q: Who goes to bat for Mauer?

A: Pretty much every sabr-inclined writer in the country, if only for his sheer uniqueness as a player.

I think Joe might end up going the Blyleven route and taking a while to get there, but what he did as a C in his first 10 years in the league is enough on its own merit. I do hope he has a bit of a renaissance and puts in a few more Maueresque seasons before retiring. I suspect the counting stats people will tip their hat to 2500+ hits coming from a bat first catcher that was also a good defender. 

• Brock Beauchamp and VirginSturgeon like this

#2573 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,775 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

So speaking of questionable perceptions...

While I enjoyed this comment, the number of Mauer jerseys we see all over TF and in MN say something else altogether. I suspect much of that perception is more Star Trib/Pioneer Press driven. Just my 2 cents. I think most Minnesotans appreciate Mauer.

Oh, definitely. I think there’s a weirdly loud segment that skews our perceptions a bit.

#2574 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:24 AM

Oh, definitely. I think there’s a weirdly loud segment that skews our perceptions a bit.

They are the ones more likely to call sports radio and log on to leave comments following a Trib article.I think the perceptions is further emphasizedby one or two radio hosts seeming to not completely objective in their Mauer critiques which has helped feed into and encourage some of the more vocal critics.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#2575 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

Brady: I know it’s been only 4 starts, but Jose Berrios has been absolutely filthy so far. Is it likely he’s taken the next step and will be the #1 type starter the Twins have been looking for since Johan left?

Keith Law: His stuff doesn’t seem to be any different; he’s had an extraordinary rate of generating popups, which can be a skill (but maybe not to that extreme), and of keeping flyballs in the park, which is sometimes a skill but rarely. So I think there’s some regression coming here.

Rob: Kohl Stewart has put up K numbers in his first two starts that he hasn’t shown in pro ball yet. Being left available for the Rule 5 and being passed over by everyone light a fire, or some sort of adjustment?

Keith Law: Or he faced an atrocious Birmingham lineup and struck out 9 guys in 5 innings because they’re terrible.
Keith Law: I mean, here’s . Courtney Hawkins and Keon Barnum each had the golden sombrero.

• jkcarew likes this

#2576 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:42 PM

I think Law's answer in regards to Berrios is lazy.Of course his stuff isn't any different.However, he is using it more effectively, pounding the zone and pitching ahead in the count.There have been lots of guys with crazy good stuff that never harnessed it.I think he is figuring out how to pitch and actually use his stuff more effectively

#2577 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,886 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

I think Law's answer in regards to Berrios is lazy.Of course his stuff isn't any different.However, he is using it more effectively, pounding the zone and pitching ahead in the count.There have been lots of guys with crazy good stuff that never harnessed it.I think he is figuring out how to pitch and actually use his stuff more effectively

a: its a chat

b: he'll regress, no one is this good.

c: you don't think there is any luck in the HR rate?

#2578 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,437 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 April 2018 - 01:57 PM

a: its a chat

It's still lazy. No mention of the 29-1 K-BB rate. No mention he was very good last year. 

Of course he won't have a sub 2 ERA, so there'll be "regression." It's still a lazy answer, or more likely an inability to come to grips with his previous negative stance on Berrios.

• nicksaviking, snepp and PseudoSABR like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#2579 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,243 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

Sure.And there is data that supports those 2:

b. .209 BABIPc. 4.3 HR/FB

on the other hand:

Max Scherzer: .218 BABIP, 6.5 HR/FB

Corey Kluber:.206 BABIP, 8.3 HR/FB

David Price: .226 BABIP, 3.8 HR/FB

I don't see anyone questioning the stuff of those 3.

He could had perfectly said that 3 games are just too few to determine whether someone has really improved, especially with this weather, and called it a day...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2580 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, I think that's the big thing. Last year I think it was a fangraphs writer who showed how Santana was pitching differently (they showed a plate appearance against Gallo) to explain why his numbers were better rather than just saying "luck" or "regression."

Berrios has been pretty good. Part of that is good stuff but part of that is he's still keeping hitters confused. I'm not sure that's all stuff. Some of it has to be pitching strategy. At least, I would think so.

• Loosey likes this