Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2758 replies to this topic

#2361 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Follow up: Eno Sarris announced this morning on Twitter he's joining The Athletic.

I'm getting closer to making the purchase for access to their site.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same ... has anyone purchased a subscription? Worth it?

• Han Joelo likes this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#2362 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, I've been thinking the same ... has anyone purchased a subscription? Worth it?

I'd like to know the same. They're building an all star baseball lineup of writers, that's for sure.

Ken Rosenthal, Jayson Stark, Petter Gammons, and I'm sure they're going to have Eno focus on analytics related topics.

Edited by Vanimal46, 13 February 2018 - 01:34 PM.

• gunnarthor likes this

#2363 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

I'd like to know the same. They're building an all star baseball lineup of writers, that's for sure.

Ken Rosenthal, Jayson Stark, Petter Gammons, and I'm sure they're going to have Eno focus on analytics related topics.

I have. I haven't read a ton of baseball stuff yet, but it seems very worth it. The quality of the content seems elevated from what I'm used to reading in the local papers or other websites (the free ones).

The original reason I got it was because the MN wild beat writer went from the startribune to the Athletic. Russo is by far the best writer for the Wild and in my opinion, between the Twins and the Wild..he's the best writer period. I don't read any Vikings things, even though I am a fan.

I don't know anything about this new Twins writer at the Athletic, Dan Hayes, except for the fact that he used to write about the White Sox. He has a couple things posted, but I haven't read them yet. As far as the national guys go, if you like them and miss their reports it's worth it. I'd say the stuff they write is also elevated. I don't read every single story out there and have looked at a limited number of baseball content so far but the few things I have read were great. And I don't think those stories would have been done otherwise, or if they had, not such a deep dive into it when there's word limit restrictions and all that.

You can bookmark specific writers, which wasn't the case when I subscribed in September or October so if you like Rosenthal you can bring up just all of his stuff if that's what you want. I have the Twins and Wild bookmarked, but I will definitely be adding ones for the writers I like too.

They often send out links on twitter which will give a 20-30% discount if you sign up using that link. I mostly see those from the writers tweets rather than the main twitter for the Athletic. I'm one of the cheapest people ever. I've never had a subscription to a paper. I don't pay for baseball America or anything like that, even though I do like their stuff. I don't go to movie theaters unless it's for $5. I don't think a burger and fries should be more expensive than $8-$10. I am cheap! And I recommend subscribing.

Edited by Twins33, 13 February 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• Carole Keller, beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#2364 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,527 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

I have. I haven't read a ton of baseball stuff yet, but it seems very worth it. The quality of the content seems elevated from what I'm used to reading in the local papers or other websites (the free ones).

The original reason I got it was because the MN wild beat writer went from the startribune to the Athletic. Russo is by far the best writer for the Wild and in my opinion, between the Twins and the Wild..he's the best writer period. I don't read any Vikings things, even though I am a fan.

I don't know anything about this new Twins writer at the Athletic, Dan Hayes, except for the fact that he used to write about the White Sox. He has a couple things posted, but I haven't read them yet. As far as the national guys go, if you like them and miss their reports it's worth it. I'd say the stuff they write is also elevated. I don't read every single story out there and have looked at a limited number of baseball content so far but the few things I have read were great. And I don't think those stories would have been done otherwise, or if they had, not such a deep dive into it when there's word limit restrictions and all that.

You can bookmark specific writers, which wasn't the case when I subscribed in September or October so if you like Rosenthal you can bring up just all of his stuff if that's what you want. I have the Twins and Wild bookmarked, but I will definitely be adding ones for the writers I like too.

They often send out links on twitter which will give a 20-30% discount if you sign up using that link. I mostly see those from the writers tweets rather than the main twitter for the Athletic. I'm one of the cheapest people ever. I've never had a subscription to a paper. I don't pay for baseball America of anything like that, even though I do like their stuff. I don't go to movie theaters unless it's for $5. I don't think a burger and fries should be more expensive than $8-$10. I am cheap! And I recommend subscribing.

This is all good to know ... thanks!

From what I've seen (on Twitter, so take that for what it is) Sox fans seem to really like Dan Hayes and are sorry he's now writing for the Twins!

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#2365 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:34 PM

This is all good to know ... thanks!

From what I've seen (on Twitter, so take that for what it is) Sox fans seem to really like Dan Hayes and are sorry he's now writing for the Twins!

Yeah, I've seen a couple of those tweets as well. So hopefully it's just another good reason to have it/get it.

#2366 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

Chris, the owner of KATOH, has also left fangraphs? Sigh.

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#2367 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:09 PM

Let me guess, the Athletic. Fangraphs has taken a ton of blows to their staff... Sad, really.

#2368 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Let me guess, the Athletic. Fangraphs has taken a ton of blows to their staff... Sad, really.

I don't know yet, just saw it in a chat. I will really miss KATOH.

#2369 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

Depends on what you are looking for:

- it is not a place that will exclusively break news or have exclusive material from the Twins' ballpark, clubhouse or front office.Twitter and the PP and ST beats are the places you want to go for those (and are all on twitter.)

- if you are looking for analysis regarding what teams should do etc, it might be the place to go.At least in the off-season.Not sure that their game analysis during the season will look like.

I have been on the fence for a while.Not sure that it justifies the price.If Rosenthal was breaking news there exclusively, for example, it might change my mind.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2370 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:07 PM

Bummer. KATOH is fun, especially when it ranks 6-8 Twins guys in the top 40.
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and Oxtung like this

#2371 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Worse. A secret job that does not allow us to even pay to see his content.
  • Oxtung likes this

#2372 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Worse. A secret job that does not allow us to even pay to see his content.

Bummer for the fans.

#2373 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

ANSKY
12:54 What do you expect from Berrios this year for IP, K nd ERA, will he be the twins best pitcher?

Travis Sawchik
12:56 I'm a big Berrios guy. He'll be a 15% K-BB guy with a sub-4 ERA. He'll be the ace on a staff that will lack a true ace

https://www.jotcast....-chat-3024.html
  • Twins33, nicksaviking, nytwinsfan and 2 others like this

#2374 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

Mike sixel
2:53 Do the Twins not think Lynn or Cobb is good? Are they frugal? What is the plan while Buxton and Sano are here?

Dan Szymborski
2:53 I don't think Lynn is that good.
And Cobb has risks.
  • Twins33 and nicksaviking like this

#2375 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

Mike sixel
2:53 Do the Twins not think Lynn or Cobb is good? Are they frugal? What is the plan while Buxton and Sano are here?

Dan Szymborski
And Cobb has risks.

Dan S hit the nail on the head.

• Jham and Deduno Abides like this

#2376 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,447 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:11 PM

Mike sixel

Dan Szymborski
And Cobb has risks.

This is pretty much my take on it as well. Once Darvish passed, I had interest in Cobb but also a few concerns. I don't really care for Lynn at all.

• Twins33, beckmt, nytwinsfan and 1 other like this

#2377 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:37 PM

This is pretty much my take on it as well. Once Darvish passed, I had interest in Cobb but also a few concerns. I don't really care for Lynn at all.

Well, I'll give the FO some credit for the bullpen upgrades. And Pineda could end up being a sneaky good acquisition that'll help next year. But we're really going to need Berrios to take a step forward and Santana not to regress too much ...

• birdwatcher, nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this

#2378 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:52 PM

All fair, but so far, they've not really moved the needle at all in terms of starters.

#2379 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,905 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

All fair, but so far, they've not really moved the needle at all in terms of starters.

To be fair, moving the needle in February means squat compared to moving the needle in October. If they're right and they can fix these guys I guess then they get to be right all along.

Not that I think that's the case here at all. Even at their career peaks I wouldn't want Sanchez or Odorizzi leading a rotation into the post season.

• Thrylos likes this

#2380 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:32 PM

To be fair, moving the needle in February means squat compared to moving the needle in October. If they're right and they can fix these guys I guess then they get to be right all along.

Not that I think that's the case here at all. Even at their career peaks I wouldn't want Sanchez or Odorizzi leading a rotation into the post season.

Well, at his absolute peak, Sanchez was worth 6.3 bWAR (although his next best season was only 3.8). 5 out of his 6 postseason starts were very good for Detroit, as he helped them to WS and CS appearances. Of course, all of this was back in 2012-2013, when Johan Santana was still tossing no-hitters. :)

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 1 other like this