Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2758 replies to this topic

#2301 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Bill G
1:06 Thanks as always for the top prospect lists.Max Kepler and Nomar Mazara.Is there still upside or what we see is what we get.Thanks!

Keith Law
1:06 Still upside on both. I'm in.

twins fan
1:17 Could you give us some thoughts on Brusdar Graterol and Akill Badoo?

Keith Law
1:17 In the Twins report next week. I believe both are in their top ten (I haven't written the AL Central yet).

John
1:21 How close was Stephen Gonsalves to making the top 100?
Keith Law
1:21 Not close.

Twinzies
1:26 Given the recent Kohl Stewart football rumors, I thought now would be a good time to ask what happened to him? I know he had injuries, but he didn't seem to perform well when healthy. I've also heard about makeup/attitude issues from Twins beat writers and also wanted to know if you can expand on those makeup/attitude issues.

Keith Law
1:26 Stuff backed up, arm isn't as quick as it was in HS. He denied the rumors, BTW. Never, ever heard a bad word about his makeup.

Paul
2:13 Has your opinion on whether Royce Lewis can stay at shortstop changed or is it just the Twins who are optimistic about it?

Keith Law
2:14 Twins are optimistic. I try to reset judgments on players when they get into pro ball because they get help from new coaches and of course the entire game is different - wood bats, play every day, faster pace, etc.

• gunnarthor, dbminn, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#2302 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

https://www.fangraph...just-base-hits/

#2303 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,975 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Fangraphs related. Eno Sarris is moving on. Rough winter for them with Dave Cameron and Eno no longer on staff.

https://www.fangraph...ks-for-reading/

#2304 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Fangraphs related. Eno Sarris is moving on. Rough winter for them with Dave Cameron and Eno no longer on staff.

https://www.fangraph...ks-for-reading/

I've been tweeting with Eno since he announced he was sad last night......he's been very nice in recommending beer and stuff to me and my wife. He did say "for now".....so we'll see what happens. But, huge loss. If they lose Sullivan or Szym....not sure I'll go as often.

• dbminn and jimmer like this

#2305 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

I've been tweeting with Eno since he announced he was sad last night......he's been very nice in recommending beer and stuff to me and my wife. He did say "for now".....so we'll see what happens. But, huge loss. If they lose Sullivan or Szym....not sure I'll go as often.

Wow, the talent is dropping like flies over theere.Losing Dave C. stinks big time and losing Eno is bad too.

#2306 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,975 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

Wow, the talent is dropping like flies over theere.Losing Dave C. stinks big time and losing Eno is bad too.

Yeah, I'm not sure who my go to read will be on that site anymore. I've read both of them religiously over the last 3+ years. Eno embraced the weird in his chats which I loved, and generally wrote about interesting topics. Dave Cameron I felt had his finger on the pulse of what's going on in baseball as a whole. I respect his opinion and learned a lot from him over the years.
  • jimmer likes this

#2307 70charger

70charger

• 4,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Fangraphs chat with Kiley McDaniel yesterday: https://www.fangraph...l-chat-1-31-18/

A little skeptical of Rooker; Graterol definitely picking up steam.

James: How bullish is Kiley on Brent Rooker‘s bat?

Kiley McDaniel: Kiley was a little skeptical of it when Rooker was an amateur, but his debut was better than Kiley was expecting. Kiley thinks it’s still fringy bat, plus power, questionable defensive value but it’s something worth watching, not just some stiff 4A power guy 

Derek Falvey: I’m planning on going to spring training this year and watch some backfield games. Which Twins prospect should I watch?

Kiley McDaniel: I feel like I should be asking you this. But I would recommend BRUSDAR.

May be of interest given our relative lack of system catching. Also a shout-out to Mauer.

Kang: How’s about 2018 draft class? I think Will Banfield will be next Mauer and Posey.

Kiley McDaniel: I think you are wrong, but you are free to feel that way. Probably best HS catcher though. Joey Bart at GT and Banfield are only catchers in the top 60 for us right now, but still massaging that list. TONS of good college catching in 2019: Langliers at Baylor, Rutchman at Oregon State, Debo at NC State some other solid guys behind them.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#2308 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:01 PM

Distracted employee
12:59 If you had to wager on one player who is going to sign a 1 year contract this off-season and prove their worth of a long-term contract for next off-season (say, for a 3+ year deal in 2019), who would you pick?
Travis Sawchik
12:59 Can I count Pineda's 2019?

• milldaddy35 likes this

#2309 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

This isn't about the Twins, but is really interesting.....

HE Average Sports Fan
12:12 With the changes in pitcher usage, is a guy with 4-5 starter profile less valuable than a back end of the bullpen profile?

Kiley McDaniel
12:13 Yes and we tried to reflect the changing value of these guys and guys that lift/don't lift the ball in the list. Mike Fiers might give you 150 good innings in the regular season, but he isn't making the postseason roster and McCullers' is going to go out there and throw a ton. Teams want more McCullers so we feel like we should rank according to that preference. Teams also seem more inclined to draft high effort high school arms with finessee issues to this end, so it's seeping into the lower levels of baseball. It's probably not just a trend.

• gunnarthor, beckmt and Vanimal46 like this

#2310 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

Hep
3:12 Twins rotation is

Steve Adams
3:12 Not great!
3:13 Ha, realistically -- it's probably Ervin, Berrios, Gibson, Mejia and whoever they sign/acquire -- be it Darvish/Cobb/Lynn or someone like Odorizzi
3:14 Mejia isn't a lock, but I'd characterize him as likelier than other internal options like Slegers, Duffey, Enns or prospects like Gonsalves/Romero

Tommy Titan
3:24 Could the Twins pursue Zack Greinke? That would be an obvious match.

Steve Adams
3:25 I think there's a match there, sure, but they probably don't want to take the whole contract. If they could package what's left of the Hughes deal in there or just get the D-backs to eat a fair portion of the contract annually in exchange for some decent prospect capital, you could make the argument that they're better suited to go that route than pay Darvish for 6 years.

Buddy
3:31 Still saying Darvish to the Cubs. What say you?
Steve Adams
3:31 I've been stubbornly saying Twins for most of the offseason; no real reason to deviate at this point.

https://www.jotcast....-6-18-2983.html

Edited by Mike Sixel, 06 February 2018 - 02:45 PM.

• GP830 likes this

#2311 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,833 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:27 PM

Twins
4:22 The Twins have to take advantage this year. 3/5 AL Central teams rebuilding. Why haven't they been more aggressive?

Steve Adams
4:23 They're arguably the team that has been most prominently linked to the market's top free agent (Darvish)
They've signed Addison Reed and two other veteran relievers.
I wouldn't call them passive.

• howieramone2 likes this

#2312 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

Fangraph's prospect guy Eric Longenhagen did his top 100 prospects.

Three Twins

Lewis at 38

Gordon at 77

Kirilloff at 99.

Atlanta has five guys higher than Lewis, six in the top 50, 10 of the top 100.

Edited by jimmer, 06 February 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#2313 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,235 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

Fangraph's prospect guy Eric Longenhagen did his top 100 prospects.

Three Twins

Lewis at 38

Gordon at 77

Kirilloff at 99.

Atlanta has five guys higher than Lewis, six in the top 50, 10 of the top 100.

Good thing Atlanta isn't in the AL Central. That's an amazing pipeline!

The AL CENTRAL as a group has four prospects with a higher FV than Lewis, who's a FV 55 as a first year prospect. One grade higher are the Cuban IFA Robert (FV60), Kopech (FV60) and Cleveland's exciting catching prospect Mejia (FV60). It looks like the White Sox fans might get their first whiff of Jimenez (FV65) this season, and he's up there in the same category as Buxton and Sano were at the same stage of their development. He'll be fun to watch.

Lewis, barring a snag in his development, has a chance to get graded as FV 60 or even FV 65 after this season.

Every other prospect mentioned by FG received one grade lower than Lewis at FV 50. The list includes 4 Tigers, 4 more Sox, 4 Twins, 3 Indians, and a Royal.

• Oldgoat_MN, Dance with Disco Dan and howieramone2 like this

#2314 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:43 AM

Dave Schoenfeld on ESPN wrote an article about team offensive breakthrough candidates for 2018. I think we are all mostly aware of the bulk of what he says. The interesting part comes at the end.

———————
Of the 10 Twins hitters with the most playing time, only three were 30 or older and five were in their age-25 season or younger. The most promising second-half breakout belonged to Byron Buxton, who hit .300/.347/.546. With his defense, he’s an MVP candidate if he can hit like that for an entire season.

Eddie Rosario and Jorge Polanco had big power surges, with Rosario slugging .558 and Polanco slugging .511. Rosario popped 17 home runs in 70 games in the second half. Veteran Brian Dozier has had monster second halves two seasons in a row and ranked sixth in the majors with 21 second-half home runs.

Byron Buxton's offensive surge keyed the Twins' second-half charge to a wild card, but he still chases too many pitches.
That all sounds good, but here are some red flags. As a team, the Twins essentially had the same strikeout rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio in both halves. Their BABIP increased from .302 to .310, but most of their offensive gains came via simply hitting more home runs. As good as Buxton and Rosario were, they still have low walk rates and Buxton struck out five times for every walk in the second half. I'd like to see both of them clean up their chase rate before completely buying into their second-half numbers. The Twins also feasted of some bad pitching from the Tigers, White Sox and Royals. But, hey, those three teams are still in the AL Central.

While their offseason focus has understandably been on pitching -- maybe they’ll still end up with Yu Darvish, especially now with the news that Ervin Santana may be out until May -- runs are runs, and imagine J.D. Martinez in the middle of this lineup.

If the Twins can't get Darvish, they should be willing to give that money to Martinez. He'd be a huge impact bat and could split his playing time between the outfield and DH, putting Max Kepler or Robbie Grossman into a bench role that improves the team's depth while also hedging against some regression from some of the other hitters.
  • nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#2315 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

While their offseason focus has understandably been on pitching -- maybe they’ll still end up with Yu Darvish, especially now with the news that Ervin Santana may be out until May -- runs are runs, and imagine J.D. Martinez in the middle of this lineup.

If the Twins can't get Darvish, they should be willing to give that money to Martinez. He'd be a huge impact bat and could split his playing time between the outfield and DH, putting Max Kepler or Robbie Grossman into a bench role that improves the team's depth while also hedging against some regression from some of the other hitters.

That's interesting...

#2316 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

From MLBTradeRumors....

Boston has reportedly offered Martinez a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $125MM, and to this point there hasn’t been much in the way of serious competition that has been widely reported.

I think I could maybe get on board for that, if Darvish falls through.

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking, GP830 and 1 other like this

#2317 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:30 AM

From MLBTradeRumors....

Boston has reportedly offered Martinez a five-year deal in the neighborhood of $125MM, and to this point there hasn’t been much in the way of serious competition that has been widely reported.

Martinez and Archer looks pretty good right about now...

• Twins33 and nicksaviking like this

#2318 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,931 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

Personally, I'd be very mildly disappointed to see the Twins pick up Martinez.

Not because he's a bad player, simply because the Twins don't really need him and the opportunity cost of acquiring him is quite large.

Martinez will replace a mostly competent player in the field, negating some of the value he brings to the team. On the other hand, Darvish will be replacing a completely incompetent player, bolstering his value to the team.

• Thrylos, beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#2319 Twins33

Twins33

• 517 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

From MLBTradeRumors....

Agreed. Darvish is the only big money FA pitcher out there. He'd be number one in the rotation. Even though they need SP, if they can't get Darvish it wouldn't be a bad thing to go after the big money hitter.

The Sox offer seems perfectly reasonable to me though and not a lowball. I don't think I'd want the Twins to go higher than 5/140 for JD, but he's definitely a guy I wanted the Twins to go after when the offseason started.

#2320 Twins33

Twins33

• 517 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Personally, I'd be very mildly disappointed to see the Twins pick up Martinez.

Not because he's a bad player, simply because the Twins don't really need him and the opportunity cost of acquiring him is quite large.

Martinez will replace a mostly competent player in the field, negating some of the value he brings to the team. On the other hand, Darvish will be replacing a completely incompetent player, bolstering his value to the team.

I wouldn't want them to do it unless Darvish is out of the picture. If they miss on Darvish then I'm all for it.

I'd put Martinez in Grossman's role. Part time OF, primary DH. Not sure he'd accept that though. Mauer, Sano and Vargas would still need some DH time too, but Martinez would be a big upgrade over Grossman.
  • GP830 likes this