Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fangraphs (and other national publications) on the Twins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2758 replies to this topic

#2161 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

The other two are The Yankees and, I believe, The Rangers.

Pfft. What can the Yankees offer, that the Twins can't?

• snepp, Oldgoat_MN and GP830 like this

#2162 GP830

GP830

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 468 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Pfft. What can the Yankees offer, that the Twins can't?

Lol. 

But seriously, if the Twins are in fact in the top 3-- the Rangers don't appear to be nearly as appealing as the Twins or the Yankees. 

If the Yankees are involved (which of course they are), then they stand to be the favorite-- but the Twins could represent a nice fallback option for Otani due to the fresh competitive window, and uncertainly in the rotation and at DH. He could get legit at-bats and pitch every 5th day here. 

#2163 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,323 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:08 AM

I don't think money matters all that much. If it did, he'd stay in Japan for another year or two.
  • Twins33, Oldgoat_MN, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#2164 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

I can't help salivating at a potential pairing of Darvish and Ohtani.I don't know how much the Twins should make of it, but I think that having a veteran Japanese player might be attractive to Ohtani should be a factor in singing Darvish...

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#2165 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 10,212 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:53 PM

I can't help salivating at a potential pairing of Darvish and Ohtani.I don't know how much the Twins should make of it, but I think that having a veteran Japanese player might be attractive to Ohtani should be a factor in singing Darvish...

I'm intrigued by a singing Darvish too, as long as we aren't talking Christmas songs :-)

Edited by jimmer, 09 November 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan, Oldgoat_MN, Teddy and 1 other like this

#2166 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,730 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:00 PM

Olney at some point suggested that Otani might enjoy a rebuilding situation vs. the Yankees, and he mentioned the Twins specifically, thus all this talk.

• USNMCPO and nytwinsfan like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2167 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:15 PM

Olney at some point suggested that Otani might enjoy a rebuilding situation vs. the Yankees, and he mentioned the Twins specifically, thus all this talk.

On a random ESPN segment? Or a Insider article?

#2168 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,730 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

On a random ESPN segment? Or a Insider article?

Edit.Was a column.Here. From there:

There have been rumors that he would prefer to be part of a rebuilding effort rather than joining an established power, but nobody really knows if that means he’d pick, say, the Twins over the Dodgers.

Edited by Thrylos, 09 November 2017 - 06:26 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2169 dbminn

dbminn

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

MLBTradeRumors just released their Twins "Offseason Outlook". 

Highlight:

It’s an odd feeling to write sentences such as: “The Twins should have money to spend this offseason, and it’d be curious if they didn’t do so in a much more aggressive manner than in recent years.” But, that genuinely seems to be the case for the Twins, whose young core, pristine payroll outlook in 2020 and beyond and presence in a division rife with rebuilding clubs gives them an opportunity to reestablish their presence as an annual contender.

• diehardtwinsfan, 70charger and USNMCPO like this

#2170 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,564 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

It seems like that rumor has some legs to it. I've seen it pop up on more than one national outlet. That would be interesting, as we might actually be the front runner to get him in that case, especially if he's allowed to DH.

#2171 SDTwinsFan

SDTwinsFan

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

I would love to get excited about Otani signing with the Twins, but I can’t imagine that would ever be his top choice. The Twins are a different organization, but they have also brought in 2 previous players from Japan and Korea and failed to get anything out of them. I realize that Otani is in a completely different world as far as talent, but you would have to wonder if perhaps the Twins didn’t help out enough with the transition? I can’t begin to guess how difficult it could be, and the Twins have failed twice.

Again, I hope this wouldn’t be a talking point in negotiations, but it would make me nervous if I was Otani.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#2172 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

I'm mildly optimistic about this Otani deal for some reason. The best part is in my mind, Otani and Darvish are a package deal. This, rather than nibbling around the edges, would be the kind of move that could vault the Twins into the top echelon.

What do the rest of the tea leaves say? Does the new pitching coach have Japan connections? Didn't the Twins replace the longtime Asia/Australia scouting director?

Mild. Mild optimism. That's all I have.
  • nytwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#2173 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

I would love to get excited about Otani signing with the Twins, but I can’t imagine that would ever be his top choice. The Twins are a different organization, but they have also brought in 2 previous players from Japan and Korea and failed to get anything out of them. I realize that Otani is in a completely different world as far as talent, but you would have to wonder if perhaps the Twins didn’t help out enough with the transition? I can’t begin to guess how difficult it could be, and the Twins have failed twice.

Again, I hope this wouldn’t be a talking point in negotiations, but it would make me nervous if I was Otani.

I had the same thought, but the fact that it is an entirely new front office could make a difference. 

#2174 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,752 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:30 PM

Dave Cameron posted his Top 50 Free Agents list with his contract predictions. Along with crowd sourced median, and average contract terms.

https://www.fangraph...50-free-agents/
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#2175 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

Dave Cameron posted his Top 50 Free Agents list with his contract predictions. Along with crowd sourced median, and average contract terms.

https://www.fangraph...50-free-agents/

Chatwood at 3/30 would be a deal I'd get behind.

• Twins33 likes this

#2176 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Let's say the Twins do sign Otani.Would he spend time in Chattanooga or Rochester first before deputing?He's only 22/23 years old.  

Edited by laloesch, 14 November 2017 - 12:20 PM.

• Platoon likes this

#2177 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Let's say the Twins do sign Otani.Would he spend time in Chattanooga or Rochester first before deputing?He's only 22/23 years old.  

Oh, I have a feeling that he wouldn't sign with the Twins if he thought there was a chance of spending time in the minors.

• gunnarthor likes this

#2178 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

https://www.fangraph...elow-the-radar/

I love it, Fangraphs asked ten GMs to name a player and a member of the baseball personnel who flew under the radar. To summarize Falvey's answer regarding the player- You kidding me? Only a schmuck would tell you who he thought was an under-valued asset.

• Twins33 likes this

#2179 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

https://www.fangraph...elow-the-radar/

I love it, Fangraphs asked ten GMs to name a player and a member of the baseball personnel who flew under the radar. To summarize Falvey's answer regarding the player- You kidding me? Only a schmuck would tell you who he thought was an under-valued asset.

That was Levine.

• Thrylos likes this

#2180 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:51 AM

Just saw a chat from Longenhagen the other day - https://www.fangraph...lease-trackman/

In it he says the only prospects the last few years that were better than Otani were Buxton, Lindor, Seager (Trout and Harper excluded).