Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

The Return of Kennys Vargas

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Kennys Vargas was playing great for Elizabethton last summer when suddenly he was suspended 50 games for testing positive for a PED (a weight-loss supplement). Because a player has to serve the suspension with the team he was playing with when the suspension came down, Vargas had to wait until 30+days into the short-season Elizabethton season. Today, his suspension came to an end and he was moved to Beloit. In his first at bat, he hit a solo home run. In his second at bat, he hit a two-run homer. When it comes to pure power, it could be argued that beyond Miguel Sano, no one has as much power and power potential as Vargas.

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Well, that's what those weight loss supplements are for!

#3 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I may be in the minority here but I haven't heard of him. What position does he play, how old is he, and was he a draft pick?

#4 jlovren

jlovren

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Now let's hope that he can develop some patience at the plate and get the strikeout ratio down.

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just keep him away from Derek Rodriguez....dont want him around anyone with connections to the 'bad stuff'. Nice debut tho

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,727 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I may be in the minority here but I haven't heard of him. What position does he play, how old is he, and was he a draft pick?

First base, 21-ish, no.

#7 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

First base, 21-ish, no.

google.com or baseballreference.com would have both been acceptable answers as well

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

22 on Aug 1, first base & nondrafted FA out of Puerto Rico.

#9 Jason

Jason

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Hopefully he doesn't turn into Rene Leverett.

#10 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

First base, 21-ish, no.

Thanks, appreciate it.

#11 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

google.com or baseballreference.com would have both been acceptable answers as well

Thanks, I figured google but hadn't heard of baseballreference.

#12 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

22 on Aug 1, first base & nondrafted FA out of Puerto Rico.

Thanks again. wish I would have waited to read all before responding :D.

#13 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hopefully he doesn't turn into Rene Leverett.

This is why you dont really know about a player till he gets to A ball

#14 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hit another home run today (Monday) - 3 now in two games.

#15 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Call him up!!!!!!!!!!

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Call him up!!!!!!!!!!

or test him again!!!
Idiot now has to put up with people thinking that bout him the rest of his career.

#17 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

or test him again!!!
Idiot now has to put up with people thinking that bout him the rest of his career.

Its sad but its true. If Vargas happens to turn into a big time major leaguer, you will have people accusing him of cheating because he once tested positive for a banned substance when he was playing rookie ball. Those same people won't even bother to look at what exactly he tested positive for.

#18 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Kennys Vargas was playing great for Elizabethton last summer when suddenly he was suspended 50 games for testing positive for a PED (a weight-loss supplement). Because a player has to serve the suspension with the team he was playing with when the suspension came down, Vargas had to wait until 30+days into the short-season Elizabethton season.

Today, his suspension came to an end and he was moved to Beloit.

In his first at bat, he hit a solo home run. In his second at bat, he hit a two-run homer.

When it comes to pure power, it could be argued that beyond Miguel Sano, no one has as much power and power potential as Vargas.

A weight Loss Supplement! Does anyone know the name?
I'm getting sick of drinking Slim-Fast.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:24 AM

A weight Loss Supplement! Does anyone know the name?
I'm getting sick of drinking Slim-Fast.

Phentermine.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Me thinks he needs to pass his "supplement" around to the rest of the team. :)

#21 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Anybody think that MN could skip Kennys over Ft Myers next yr??
.305/.415/.627 10HRs over first 32gms in BEL is better than Sano's first 32......yes I know the age diffence is 3 yrs but this is GREAT production.
There is no one in Ft Myers now (AA next yr) that really looks to be a 1B for future so a spot is open.
If MN wants to move Sano/Harrison soon to 1B, they (Kennys & whoever moves) would block each other....so would they try & get him a level higher up.
At least, think if he's comes out of block fast in Ft Myers (hitting there is always a big if tho)....would he get a faster than usual promotion.
Several of you guys saw him in BEL live, what's his glove like?? Is he a legit fielder or a future DH type??

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

His glove - Looks like a great DH!!

They won't have him skip Ft. Myers.. the knock on him (according to his manager and hitting coach) is that he can crush curveballs and average fastballs but he can't catch a good fsatball.

Also note that Vargas's numbers right now are about what Sano's were through as many plate appearances at the beginning of the year.

Vargas is a legit prospect, possibly even borderline Top 10, but definitely not a need or reason to rush.

#23 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

They won't have him skip Ft. Myers.. the knock on him (according to his manager and hitting coach) is that he can crush curveballs and average fastballs but he can't catch a good fsatball.

Also note that Vargas's numbers right now are about what Sano's were through as many plate appearances at the beginning of the year.

Vargas is a legit prospect, possibly even borderline Top 10, but definitely not a need or reason to rush.

what I figured.....poors man David Ortiz (David Arias as this age??) type of prosect??
His numbers are equal to Sano's thru first 32gms .....we were all salivating on him, think Kennys gets forgotten.
Vargas 118Abs .305/.415/.627 10HRs 29rbi
Miguel 115Abs .304/.424/.652 10hr 32rbi ....it was exactly 32 gms before Sano hit the skids for 2months
Sano went 12/75 (.160BAve 3HR 9rbi) the rest of May over the next 21gms (followed by a poor June) to kill any chance of a promotion ....Vargas doesnt have that time to compare...DAMN

Both homered today for BEL

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 26 August 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

I like Vargas and his potential, but not sure he is a borderline top 10 guy for me. I'd have to place him in the 14-18 range currently since he brings zero defensive value. If a guy is to exceed as a "true DH" he absolutely needs to continue to mash all the way up the chain.