Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: He's Ba-ack!

ron gardenhire
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

I really don't get how this is a bad move. I mean, doesn't it happen all the time with other jobs where a boss is fired, then rehired because no one else wanted him (the SD front office job, I think we all would agree, counts as no one else wanted him). No well-run organization or company does this.

2014 = time to move on. 2016 = time to get reacquainted.

The previous posts noting his lack of, say, ability/willingness/concern to connect with younger players during his manager years are spot on reasons why this makes no sense from a value-added standpoint. It's just TR bringing back a guy he likes.

I'm wondering where are all the folks who assured us if in the unlikely event that Gardy was fired, being so universally respected around the League... he'd be hired by somebody else in a New York minute.

So now with this development it seems readily apparent, the only club in a 30 team organization that is MLB- that has any interest, is the one that fired him.

Edited by jokin, 18 April 2016 - 05:52 PM.

• Thrylos and jimmer like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#22 COtwin

COtwin

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:18 PM

As long as he is never around the guys when we play the Yankees.

• REPETE and sane16 like this

#23 sane16

sane16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

"Sorry sane, but Gardy is much better at giving out nicknames. Just a few changes I know he'd make:
4. Santany -> I'd have to think Gardy would come up with Ervie all by himself."

Or he could ask Gilda Radnor for help, and come up with:
Danny Roseanne RoseannadannaSantanadanna

#24 sane16

sane16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

"Sorry sane, but Gardy is much better at giving out nicknames. Just a few changes I know he'd make:
4. Santany -> I'd have to think Gardy would come up with Ervie all by himself."

Or he could ask Gilda Radnor for help, and come up with:
Danny Roseanne RoseannadannaSantanadanna

or for short..
Danny Santanadanna Roseannadanna

#25 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

Just what this organization needs...some now blood. /s

The country club mentality this franchise has had since the early 90s is one of the main reasons why they're never successful, IMO.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

As a Scout, he thought Danny Santana was going to be great. Scouting is part of his job now......

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,799 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

Kind of hard to continue the discussion here.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:32 PM

your therapy will go much easier if you just accept the fact that in a few years Gardy will be the new GM

#29 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:36 PM

WOW! Matter of days before the recommendation from Gardy to move all 1st year players back to AAA for more seasoning. After all he had no patience with rookies when he managed. So much for new blood in the systems thinking.

#30 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

Nice right up, Seth. Happy to have him back.

#31 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 10:55 PM

Sorry, no excitement.  29 other teams were not interested in him as a manager so we bring him back.  TR is happy because he has accomplished two things:

• He brought back a former Twin
  • He is building a screen from those crazy cybermetric guys and all their numbers and crazy ideas.

#32 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:39 AM

I don't think this will hurt the club beyond what they're paying him and the predictable negative fan reaction.

I hope that if I ever get fired, and nobody wants to hire me, that my former employer will hook me up with a golden parachute.
  • Seth Stohs, USAFChief and rghrbek like this

#33 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:16 AM

Welcome back to one of the best Skips the Twins have had.
  • Seth Stohs and PopRiveter like this

#34 Lefty

Lefty

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:36 AM

TK didn't like young players either and that hasn't stopped Molitor from throwing them in there over the last year.  This won't hurt the Twins.

#35 Lefty

Lefty

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:39 AM

As a Scout, he thought Danny Santana was going to be great. Scouting is part of his job now.....

If I remember right, Danny had a great year when Gardy was the skipper.

• nokomismod and DocBauer like this

#36 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

Ron Gardenhire has probably forgotten more about baseball than I have ever learned. He is a good baseball coach and a fun guy to work with. He's probably even more fun when he's not the guy in charge. I'm sure the minor league affiliates will appreciate having another experienced guy to help them develop players. That is one of the things the Twins do best - develop players - and now they're adding more resources to that area

• nokomismod likes this

#37 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

"It was clear at the time that it would be just a matter of time before Gardenhire rejoined the organization. He took 2015 off, and he was in the running for the manager jobs in Washington and San Diego. When San Diego offered him a job in their front office, and he declined, it was inevitable that it was just a matter of time before he would rejoin the Twins."

Seth I'm not sure I agree with this. In the press conference, Gardy was pretty firm in the idea that he would manage again. Gardy is a little too polarizing for this to be a great ambassadorial move. This only makes sense to me if Gardy approached the Twins first because he believes it will help him get another manager gig someday soon--there would be nothing wrong with that.
  • Thrylos likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#38 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

I'm wondering where are all the folks who assured us if in the unlikely event that Gardy was fired, being so universally respected around the League... he'd be hired by somebody else in a New York minute.So now with this development it seems readily apparent, the only club in a 30 team organization that is MLB- that has any interest, is the one that fired him.

Well, your preparatory clauses need to be reworked.... :)

I thought it was more likely than not that Gardy would have to be terminated than he would leave of his own volition, and I wouldn't assume he is universally respected (to say nothing of being so universally respected) but I did and do believe he will manage again. Because he said he would. I believe he was a signature away from being the Detroit manager and that whole fiasco. I believe he would be appealing to certain clubs and be successful. However, yes it raises questions at least to me if this is just a golden parachute gig, not that he'd be bad for us to have out in the field for a while. We shall see.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#39 PopRiveter

PopRiveter

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Re: "Gardenhire hates young players"

This is so opposite of everything I observed while watching him as manager. One of the most common themes I remember from his tenure was his anxiousness to get young talent up and his seeming frustration that his GM wouldn't graduate the talent fast enough.  I recall him being vocally impatient to put Matt Garza, Alexi Casilla, Danny Valencia, Luke Hughes, Ben Revere, Danny Santana and Trevor Plouffe to work at the major league level. That's off the top of my head.

His success came on the backs of young talent. I always felt he was a bit impatient and overeager to send guys out there to sink or swim and that Smith and Ryan were the overprotective parent and it created a good counterbalance.

Do people get this idea because he was willing to criticize certain young players in the press? i.e. Cuddyer, Plouffe, Dozier

To me, he "picked on" guys who he knew could lead. This seemed like a way he raised the bar for players who he thought could rise to the challenge and become better. It worked with those three. All became more complete players on his guard. 

Never heard him "pick on" the goofier guys much (like Ford, Gomez) as it wasn't likely to have a positive impact.

• DocBauer likes this

#40 REPETE

REPETE

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

Re: "Gardenhire hates young players"

This is so opposite of everything I observed while watching him as manager. One of the most common themes I remember from his tenure was his anxiousness to get young talent up and his seeming frustration that his GM wouldn't graduate the talent fast enough.  I recall him being vocally impatient to put Matt Garza, Alexi Casilla, Danny Valencia, Luke Hughes, Ben Revere, Danny Santana and Trevor Plouffe to work at the major league level. That's off the top of my head.

His success came on the backs of young talent. I always felt he was a bit impatient and overeager to send guys out there to sink or swim and that Smith and Ryan were the overprotective parent and it created a good counterbalance.

Do people get this idea because he was willing to criticize certain young players in the press? i.e. Cuddyer, Plouffe, Dozier

To me, he "picked on" guys who he knew could lead. This seemed like a way he raised the bar for players who he thought could rise to the challenge and become better. It worked with those three. All became more complete players on his guard. 

Never heard him "pick on" the goofier guys much (like Ford, Gomez) as it wasn't likely to have a positive impact.

From my observations of Gardy (full disclosure, I did NOT like him at all), he was fine with young players, as long as they "played the game the right way", and if he "liked how they went about their business",  He liked the Rocky type players, "ham and eggers".  He could appeal to them, as that's what he was.  

Where Gardy fell short was dealing with the cocky, young, "showboat" type players.  Go-Go was the perfect example (although the argument could/should be made he should have been in AAA), but he completely mishandled Hicks, too.  He had Hicks wound up in knots.  

I think he'll be fine as a roving instructor, as long as they don't keep him on one guy too long.  Id have hated to see him roving in the minors when Sano got into all the hoopla over a bat flip. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ron gardenhire