Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ryan Pressly

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 jun

jun

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

I think Pressly might be the first to get demoted with Tonkin not far behind. 

• LA VIkes Fan likes this

#22 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Pressly could be suffering the effects of being overworked in the first half of last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he lands on the DL.

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:31 PM

Pressly could be suffering the effects of being overworked in the first half of last year. It wouldn't surprise me if he lands on the DL.

i wonder that as well, that he's hurt from last year and still not quite over it.

On the other hand, It might be that he's just young and need to develop consistency

Edited by Sconnie, 20 April 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

i wonder that as well, that he's hurt from last year and still not quite over it.
On the other hand, It might be that he's just young and need to develop consistency

Pressly is 28. He's got 4 full seasons under his belt at the MLB level.

#25 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

I think Pressly might be the first to get demoted with Tonkin not far behind. 

His head is a mess, but he as nothing else to prove at AAA.What else do we always say when someone is struggling?

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,436 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

If he is, it's not showing up in velocity.

I think at this point you chalk it up to a couple badly located pitches that got hit hard. He gets a lot of rope, IMO. More than Tonkin for sure.
  • stringer bell, Sconnie, rghrbek and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#27 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Pressly is 28. He's got 4 full seasons under his belt at the MLB level.

ok, so not so young, still inconsistent.

2014 and 2015 were not full seasons in the bigs

#28 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:44 PM

If he is, it's not showing up in velocity.

I think at this point you chalk it up to a couple badly located pitches that got hit hard. He gets a lot of rope, IMO. More than Tonkin for sure.

You absolutely chalk it up to a couple bad pitches. And really, three games? We're going to extrapolate from that to an injury, or to fatigue from last year. Come on now.

Look, I know losing sucks. But let's be serious.

• Sconnie likes this

#29 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

It's more than a couple bad pitches. Pressly has allowed 5 extra base hits in his last 3 outings.

#30 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

It's more than a couple bad pitches. Pressly has allowed 5 extra base hits in his last 3 outings.

"His last 3 outings."

Start listening to yourself.

#31 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,622 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:11 PM

Dellin Betances gave up a home run in three consecutive appearances last April.

My point? Don't really have one, he was just the first reliever I pulled up a game log for.

• USAFChief, Hosken Bombo Disco and howieramone2 like this

#32 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:21 PM

Dellin Betances gave up a home run in three consecutive appearances last April.

My point? Don't really have one, he was just the first reliever I pulled up a game log for.

The Yankees should definitely put him on waivers.

What's that? The Twins have the first waiver claim? Hmmm. Interesting.

• snepp and Sconnie like this

#33 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:35 AM

You don't need to focus on the last 3 games to be concerned about Pressly. His whole career body of work, when taking into account leverage and peripherals too, is suggesting average-ish bullpen arm rather than shutdown stopper, which is a role many had him pegged for on this team (including Molitor?).

#34 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:12 PM

You don't need to focus on the last 3 games to be concerned about Pressly. His whole career body of work, when taking into account leverage and peripherals too, is suggesting average-ish bullpen arm rather than shutdown stopper, which is a role many had him pegged for on this team (including Molitor?).

I agree. I just think that coming to a reasonable conclusion based on clearly spurious evidence tends to undermine said reasonable conclusion. That's the real problem I've got. Let's stop freaking out game to game. Surely there are better ways to analyze?

#35 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Pressley looks more and more like an average to above average middle innings bullpen arm rather than a late inning shut down guy. Nothing wrong with that, it just changes how he's used and changes what we're looking for  Hopefully Chargois can be the late inning shut down guy. Tonkin looks like a "can't understand why he isn't better" guy that may need to go to another organization or another country to experience any high level of success.  

• birdwatcher and blindeke like this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

"His last 3 outings."

Start listening to yourself.

A "couple bad pitches" doesn't lead to FIVE extra base hits. Trevor May last year was cruising along and then all of a sudden had two or three horrid outings. Then he lands on the DL. 3 consecutive poor outings is something to take notice of. Finding out if his arm is okay. That might be something someone should ask.

#37 a-wan

a-wan

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

His real issues are he doesn't use a sinker and change up enough.

But seriously his BB/9 is down and his HR/9 is like 5 times what it was last year, so SSS.

#38 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,752 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

Pressley looks more and more like an average to above average middle innings bullpen arm rather than a late inning shut down guy. Nothing wrong with that, it just changes how he's used and changes what we're looking for  Hopefully Chargois can be the late inning shut down guy. Tonkin looks like a "can't understand why he isn't better" guy that may need to go to another organization or another country to experience any high level of success.  

I agree. it seems everyone in the pen is stretched a level in their current role. There are some acceptable pieces to round out a pen, but they clearly lack the elite guys at the backend.

• spycake and Sconnie like this
Papers...business papers.

#39 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,632 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

But seriously his BB/9 is down and his HR/9 is like 5 times what it was last year, so SSS.

Wouldn't the SSS warning likewise apply to his BB/9 being down?

Again, it's not so much this year's sample.  Last year, over the full season, he had a rather pedestrian 3.70 ERA / 3.74 FIP, and his career-high K/9 rate (8.0) was still below league reliever average (8.7).  I guess I am concerned that we've seen nothing so far in 2017 to suggest last season was an aberration or a stepping stone to better performance.

We obviously don't have to cut him or demote him today, but I think these are valid parts of an ongoing conversation about our team and its players.

• Riverbrian likes this

#40 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,166 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

I don't mind Pressly but he has only established himself as basically pretty dang close to average. 

If anybody projects him as a set up guy. They either lack better options in the pen or the skill to evaluate. 

• stringer bell likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate