Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ryan Pressly

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 06:43 PM

With all the angst and type spent on the bullpen, and our general views of its construction and it's failures at times, performance and said construction, it might be time to throw a little love Pressly's way.

Look, all things considered, a healthy Perkins, close to his old self for a year or two more, really helps this bullpen. The frustrated jury is still out on this matter. Hopefully, we will still get a positive verdict. I don't know if we still know what we have in Jepsen, and we should have traded for a second quality arm last year when we got him, but he was outstanding for us last year. After a couple bad outings this year, regression boo birds were already chirping. However, he's looked better lately. Again, like a lot of the pen in the early going, May hasn't shown very brightly. And should still be in the rotation, IMO, but he has the stuff and potential to be very good in the pen. And he showed last season, and during ST, what he can look like as a RP.

But while we gnash teeth over failures, and failure to act, and wait for other top RP prospects to arrive, we may have found a really nice arm in Pressly. And with Perkins out of action for now, everyone moves up a notch, and Pressly could be very important going forward.

While he was sheltered in 2013, he still finished 3-3 with a 3.87 ERA, 71 hits in 76.2 IP, just shy of a 2-1 SO/BB ratio, .251 BA against and 1.28 WHIP. Not bad first time around. Welcome to your first taste of The League.

His opportunities in 2014 were limited and not as successful: 28.1 IP, 30 hits, just shy again of a 2-1 ratio, .278 BA against and a 1.34 WHIP.

Bef ore his injury derailed his 2015, he was showing some life again. 27 hits in 27.2 IP, his customary just shy of 2-1 SO/BB ratio with 22/12, a .251 BA and rather mediocre 1.41 WHIP.

In SSS thus far, he's looking good in 2016. As I write, Im uncertain if I have the most up to the moment stats, but I believe we are looking at a win, no runs, 6 hits in 8.2 IP, 6 SO to 3 BB, a .188 BA against and 1.04 WHIP.

Has time and opportunity given us another, maybe somewhat unexpected, quality option in the bullpen?
  • glunn, nicksaviking and brvama like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:03 PM

Look, all things considered, a healthy Perkins, close to his old self for a year or two more, really helps this bullpen. The frustrated jury is still out on this matter.

The jury is not out on that one.Shoulder issues minus 5-7 mph; remember a guy named Santana? Put a fork in him.Perkins is done.

Pressly was one of the best RHRP options last season and it was expected that he will be good this season.

Still the Twins need a couple good arms or three.JT Chargois should be packing his bags

• ChiTownTwinsFan, glunn, Sconnie and 2 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

The jury is not out on that one.Shoulder issues minus 5-7 mph; remember a guy named Santana? Put a fork in him.Perkins is done.

Pressly was one of the best RHRP options last season and it was expected that he will be good this season.

Still the Twins need a couple good arms or three.JT Chargois should be packing his bags

I hear ya. I really do. And I have maintained that something happened to Perk just before, or at all star last season that we still don't know about. But I can't ignore his first half last season. While Perk remains a huge question mark at the moment, Im not sure we can write him off this soon.

And while his milb IP are short, I agree on Chargois. Despite his limited experience, I think he is on the fast track based on stuff and attitude. It's still early, but seems to have the proverbial "it" factor. And more and more, it looks like Fien has the "used to" factor.
  • glunn and Thrylos like this

--Lou Brown

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

And while his milb IP are short, I agree on Chargois. Despite his limited experience, I think he is on the fast track based on stuff and attitude. It's still early, but seems to have the proverbial "it" factor. And more and more, it looks like Fien has the "used to" factor.

Totally.

Chargois looks like a cold-blooded killer out there.Got the Mariano Rivera composure.

Fien who?He was never anything when BABIP approached MLB norms.

-----

#5 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,575 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm ready to hear announcers pronounce his name around the league.

• glunn and Sconnie like this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

I'm ready to hear announcers pronounce his name around the league.

Hearing Bert trying to do that, will be enough ;)

• ChiTownTwinsFan and glunn like this
-----

#7 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Win Twins!

• Twins Mods
  • 16,575 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hearing Bert trying to do that, will be enough ;)

Well, he was the one I was most thinking of ... but thought I'd spread it around.

• glunn, Thrylos and Halsey Hall like this

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

I wonder, would "Shaggy" dare choose the Scooby-Doo theme song as his walk in music?

Would be priceless!

--Lou Brown

#9 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:02 PM

Totally.

Chargois looks like a cold-blooded killer out there.Got the Mariano Rivera composure.

Fien who?He was never anything when BABIP approached MLB norms.

I think Fien was fine, as a steal, once upon a time. And I can't completly fault the Twins for taking a roll of the die one more time for depth and hope of a rebound. But results do matter, and sooner or later, there will come a time in which they have to make a move. And that time should be coming soon. And while I'm encouraged by what Graham is doing at Rochester, I don't know that he's as sweet of an option right now as Chargois. I think the time is coming very soon to buy a ticket on the Shaggy train and just bite the bullet.
  • glunn and Danchat like this

--Lou Brown

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 16 April 2016 - 08:12 PM

Pressly has been pretty good so far. He still needs to throw more strikes, but the fastball is a good pitch and the breaking ball is a nice out pitch. Today's performance wasn't stellar, but he got hitters to hit the ball to the deep part of the park and to the only plus outfielder on the field for the Twins.

I wasn't on board with tendering Fien for a middle relief role, but he's there for now.

• glunn and kab21 like this

#11 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

After a couple bad outings this year, regression boo birds were already chirping.

Excellent phrasing. 

#12 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

[quote name="DocBauer" post="464122" timestamp="1460858547"]

I think Fien was fine

Can't spell Fien without 'fine'!

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#13 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

I keep hoping to see a study of relief pitcher performances over years of service.  It seems to me that RP tend to fall off after having a big year (considering how often they throw which to me is more important that total innings) they tend to regress the year after they shine (except for the HOF type - Mariano).  I think Perkins has peaked and will be middle innings if anything, Jepsen is a fill in and Fien had his peak come and go whiich means he should go.  I am not sure how this translates to the young guys in the minors, but I do think we need to get them in and using their peak value in the majors.  

In this sense I think we are really wasting May and hopefully they will get him in the rotation and see if he is what we hope.  There are some teams (SD) that could use some of our current rotation vets and it would be good to move them and start building the minors up and getting the young arms in.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

yeah, I think there's something to the wear on an arm about warming up almost daily, throwing very high leverage, and then getting up and doing it again a day later.Not to mention all the times they warm up and don't pitch.

• glunn and Sconnie like this

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Relief pitcher statistics are inconsistent due to the small sample over a season. One season isn't enough to be confident that the numbers represent well the true talent. When the numbers change more often from season to season it is easy to jump to the conclusion that their skill level is inconsistent when it probably is just random.

As for Pressly, any assessment the Twins make at this point would have to come from the eye of their trained staff. There will be some information in the pitch level data related to velocity and movement reasonably soon that might indicate a change in skill level. Midseason a change in strike out, walk and ground ball rates might indicate a change in skill. It will take multiple seasons worth of data to be confident in some of the more often used statistics.

Watch the velocity, the movement, the effectiveness of each pitch. Has he improved a pitch? Has he changed his pitch mix? That will be the first hope in a change of skill level other than the eye of someone watching him in practice and in games.
  • glunn and ShouldaCouldaWoulda like this

#16 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 17 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

I hear ya. I really do. And I have maintained that something happened to Perk just before, or at all star last season that we still don't know about. But I can't ignore his first half last season. While Perk remains a huge question mark at the moment, Im not sure we can write him off this soon.

the Twins have enough bullpen filler right now that they can move on entirely from Perk. If he somehow does manage to come back strong for the second half of the season, the pen will be that much stronger as a result.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

I like Pressly and as he was the most consistent member of the pen last year when healthy, I thought it was crazy that he wasn't assumed a roster spot simply because he had an option.

I'm ready for Chargois and the other young arms too. I'm also hoping Graham turns out like Pressly, so far they're on the same path.

The league still puts a value on the "closer" title, so I really hope this club sees the light and if they ever find themselves with a surplus of bullpen arms (pipe dream I know) they continually deal the guy with silly closer label to get the best return.
  • glunn and Mike Sixel like this

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

I haven't been able to watch many games yet, with so many day games.
What's up with Pressly? Just SSS noise? Or something in his delivery or velocity to be worried about?

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,724 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

I didn't see today's performance, but Pressly has had plenty of velo. He looks super impressive for one hitter and then gets pounded. He was lousy at the end of ST and he's had three straight tough outings and counting.
  • USAFChief and glunn like this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 6,753 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

A little over a year later... Things haven't changed all that much, have they?