Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2016 MLB Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Kind of an interesting stat: The Marlins have 6 players with over 150 ABs batting over .300. Plus, they're about to get last year's batting champion back from suspension. They're a pretty fun team to watch, and despite the ownership, I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs this year 

And Ichiro is the only part-timer among that group of 6, with 188 PA.  The other 5 all have at least 273 PA.

Wow, the Marlins are tied for the 2nd wildcard in the NL.  I do hate Loria, but it's more about the Montreal thing.  For all their cheapness and tear-downs, I actually think the Marlins take a pretty interesting approach to roster construction, and it is fun to see them relevant.

• bluechipper likes this

#62 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

Yulieski Gurriel finally signs, $47.5 mil with the Astros.  Should be interesting!

http://www.mlbtrader...ki-gurriel.html

#63 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,623 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

Yulieski Gurriel finally signs, $47.5 mil with the Astros.  Should be interesting!

Wow, I don't see the fit on that team at all, and the contract terms are very steep for a 32 year old guy who's never played in the MLB...  

#64 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,623 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

I'd rather take that sort of risk with his younger brother? cousin? Lourdes Gurriel.

#65 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Wow, I don't see the fit on that team at all, and the contract terms are very steep for a 32 year old guy who's never played in the MLB...  

It's a gamble, to be sure.  I really haven't followed Gurriel at all, but he dominated Cuba last year, and he even had a very good season in Japan in 2014 if one is concerned about how he will adjust.

Even if 3B isn't a problem, the Astros can absolutely fit him in as soon as he is ready -- they've gotten nothing from 1B or DH this year.  (They could probably stand to bench Gomez too, if they could shift someone like Valbuena to an outfield corner.)

#66 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

WTH?

They have a great SS, great 2B, and Bregmann? So many other ways to spend that money!

If they make Bregmann available, TR should be on the phone right now.

edit:

ok, maybe DH......

Edited by Mike Sixel, 15 July 2016 - 03:15 PM.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#67 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

To put it into perspective: the Twins just spent $24 mil for 4 years (or $30 mil for 5 years) of Park.  And he's 30, offers no defensive flexibility (1B/DH only), had probably a bigger red flag at the plate with his K rate, and had never played outside of Korea.

Compared to that, getting Gourriel for 5 years, $47 mil doesn't look that crazy.  He just turned 32, but he's also played elsewhere in the infield, doesn't have a big red flag in his Cuban stats (love the K and BB rates), and has already successfully adjusted to a foreign league once (in Japan).

It's a risk, to be sure, but it's maybe not that crazy.  I think I like Gourriel at this price more than the Tomas and Castillo deals.  Could still go bust like Olivera, although it is a bit cheaper than Olivera's deal (and maybe Gourriel can stick defensively better than him, I have no idea).

• Mike Sixel likes this

#68 spycake

spycake

• 16,552 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

So many other ways to spend that money!

Are there?  What's the upcoming FA class look like?  Who else can they buy in-season to upgrade their 2016 chances?

#69 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,623 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

Perhaps he, or Bregmann transitions to the OF after this season? The Astros have some decisions to make on Rasmus and Car-Go this offseason. 

#70 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

The White Sox have done this with Sale and with Rodon in the past. I guess they think they know what they're doing...

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#71 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Are there?  What's the upcoming FA class look like?  Who else can they buy in-season to upgrade their 2016 chances?

Trade for an expensive pitcher, like Greinke*? No idea....and in retrospect, I could be wrong.......

But, if Houston wants to deal Bregmann, I'd be calling him and making offers.

*have given the list of SP no thought

#72 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,623 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

It's never a good thing for the sport when the best pitcher in the World suffers a set back on their injury. That unfortunately happened for Clayton Kershaw, who's now on the DL indefinitely after a recent set back with his back injury. 

Get well soon, Kershaw! 

http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html

• jimmer likes this

#73 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:14 AM

It's never a good thing for the sport when the best pitcher in the World suffers a set back on their injury. That unfortunately happened for Clayton Kershaw, who's now on the DL indefinitely after a recent set back with his back injury. 

Get well soon, Kershaw! 

http://www.latimes.c...snap-story.html

Oh, I thought Sale was the best pitcher in the world.That's what Hawk said :-)

Just kidding.Kershaw is the best and hawk is a maroon.

#74 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

Justin Morneau has gotten into 5 games so far with the Sox. He's hitting .231 in 15 AB's.

#75 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Justin Morneau has gotten into 5 games so far with the Sox. He's hitting .231 in 15 AB's.

so, about twice as good as who he replaces :)

good luck!

• bluechipper likes this

#76 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:02 PM

Alex Bregman debuts for the Astros tonight.
Not clear what position he'll be at.
http://m.mlb.com/new...t-alex-bregman/

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#77 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,281 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:22 PM

Alex Bregman debuts for the Astros tonight.
Not clear what position he'll be at.
http://m.mlb.com/new...t-alex-bregman/

must be nice to be in the playoff hunt, and still have room for your young players to come up....much better than being a Twin......where they can't find room for Berrios or Chargois or Hildenberger (sp?)

Edited by Mike Sixel, 25 July 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#78 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,623 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Lots of players on the move today. The Marlins acquired Andrew Cashner, Colin Rea, and Tayron Guerrero from the Padres for Jarred Cosart. Carter Capps, and 2 minor leaguers. One prize addition for the Padres is Marlins 2015 1st round draft pick 1B Josh Naylor.

http://espn.go.com/m...an-diego-padres

#79 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,426 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

Super curious to see the package the Brewers get for Lucroy after all the talk we have had on here over the last 2ish years.  Rosenthal reporting from a source that he is headed to the Indians......we shall see.

#80 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Braves and Padres deal is very intriguing to me.

So with Olivera moving on from the Braves, there have been three guys suspended by the league under the domestic violence policy. None have played another game in the majors for their owning team at the time of the incident. Perhaps MLB is actually tough on domestic violence, contrary to what Keith Law's Twitter would have you believe.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!