Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2016 MLB Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

One potential FA catcher off the market: Francisco Cervelli signed a 3/31 extension with Pittsburgh.

Yeah, that was on Sunday evening into Monday morning. I guess the Odor/Bautista thing just kept us all too busy to notice :P

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#42 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

19 year old uber-prospect Julio Urias is making his MLB debut tomorrow. He's pitched a grand total of 45 innings at AAA. I'm rooting for him to dominate.

#43 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:03 PM

Marlon Byrd popped for PEDs, likely out a year.

#44 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

The Phillies seem to get it. They call up 22 year old Zach Eflin, whom in his debut went 2.2 IP 9 H 8 ER 2 K's 3 BB's. After the game he was quoted saying "It still was a dream come true. I was out there in front of 50,000 people playing the game I love." He's scheduled to start on Sunday. 

If he was a member of the Minnesota Twins, he would be on a plane back to Rochester as we speak. 

• bluechipper, Hosken Bombo Disco and wsnydes like this

#45 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,747 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 15 June 2016 - 10:48 AM

If he was a member of the Minnesota Twins, he would be on a plane back to Rochester as we speak. 

You mean before the last out of the game was recorded. :)

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Vanimal46 like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#46 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

The Phillies seem to get it. They call up 22 year old Zach Eflin, whom in his debut went 2.2 IP 9 H 8 ER 2 K's 3 BB's. After the game he was quoted saying "It still was a dream come true. I was out there in front of 50,000 people playing the game I love." He's scheduled to start on Sunday. 

That all depends on why the guy is brought up. Eflin is replacing a rotation spot for multiple spots. Sometimes a guy is brought up just because he's on schedule in the minors, and he's sent down because they can get a different guy onto the schedule for the next time that rotation spot comes along. It's not always about performance, good or bad...

• SwainZag likes this

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:44 PM

That all depends on why the guy is brought up. Eflin is replacing a rotation spot for multiple spots. Sometimes a guy is brought up just because he's on schedule in the minors, and he's sent down because they can get a different guy onto the schedule for the next time that rotation spot comes along. It's not always about performance, good or bad...

True, these can be considerations, but they do not appear to have been considerations for recent Twins moves.  Meyer wasn't called up to start on any schedule.  Chargois obviously wasn't on any schedule.  Berrios was initially, but was dropped suddenly after 4 starts in favor of his mop-up reliever Pat Dean...

#48 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:55 PM

Washington Nationals prospect Lucas Giolito got the call today to make his MLB debut. The 21 year old is considered to be top prospect in baseball according to MLB.com. He'll be on the mound tomorrow.

#49 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Washington Nationals prospect Lucas Giolito got the call today to make his MLB debut. The 21 year old is considered to be top prospect in baseball according to MLB.com. He'll be on the mound tomorrow.

A 3.80 ERA in 47 innings at AA in 2015 and then a 3.17 ERA again at AA this year, with 4.3 BB/9. I'm not sure how this debut is going to go.

#50 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

Happy Bobby Bonilla day, everybody!
  • nicksaviking likes this

#51 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Home runs are getting out of control again which is causing me to pay less and less attention to anything MLB related this year.

#52 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Twins Mods
  • 2,321 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

Home runs are getting out of control again which is causing me to pay less and less attention to anything MLB related this year.

Wow I hadn't actually noticed that much, but American League teams are hitting 1.23 HR per game, which would be an all time AL record.  Teams are also striking out 7.84 times per game which would be an AL record as well.

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,009 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:04 AM

but we only get a lot of HRs because of steroids............is it almost time to put that to rest now?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#54 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

A little self-promotion - I just did a top 50 list of all prospects in baseball that came out over the weekend on Call To The Pen, the final of which is here.

The article I'm really mentioning has to do with baseball patriotism and the issues I had with a lot of things from this weekend that for some reason hit a tipping point last night with the whole eagle debacle at Dodger stadium. I wrote up an article here.

As always, I'd love the feedback.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,009 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

A little self-promotion - I just did a top 50 list of all prospects in baseball that came out over the weekend on Call To The Pen, the final of which is here.

The article I'm really mentioning has to do with baseball patriotism and the issues I had with a lot of things from this weekend that for some reason hit a tipping point last night with the whole eagle debacle at Dodger stadium. I wrote up an article here.

As always, I'd love the feedback.

Forced nationalism in sports has been part of how governments and sports work together to distract us for thousands of years, quite literally.

#56 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,508 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:35 AM

Pittsburgh Pirates promote 23 year old switch-hitting 1B Josh Bell, who will make his MLB debut tonight. He was having a monster season in AAA, hitting .324/.407/.535 with 13 homers, 19 doubles and four triples in 359 plate appearances.

#57 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,277 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

This is aggressive -- White Sox promote Carson Fulmer to pitch out of their bullpen:

http://www.mlbtrader...e&post-id=67110

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,009 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:41 AM

This is aggressive -- White Sox promote Carson Fulmer to pitch out of their bullpen:

http://www.mlbtrader...e&post-id=67110

Ya, wow. But, they've been pretty good/lucky with pitching lately, so I guess we'll trust them.....?

#59 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,543 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:24 AM

Ya, wow. But, they've been pretty good/lucky with pitching lately, so I guess we'll trust them.....?

Walks Will Haunt less in the bullpen? :)

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#60 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Kind of an interesting stat: The Marlins have 6 players with over 150 ABs batting over .300. Plus, they're about to get last year's batting champion back from suspension. They're a pretty fun team to watch, and despite the ownership, I'm rooting for them to make the playoffs this year