Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2016 MLB Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

there is a pretty cool article on Fangraphs, where a hitter describes what he was thinking in his 4 ABs......it is also pretty revealing about the difference between pitchers a team knows well, and ones it does not.

http://www.fangraphs...-vs-cincinnati/

Interesting reading.

“I’d have taken a breaking ball had he thrown one."

Sometimes I wonder if certain of our Twins hitters even recognize a pitch to this degree, once it's on its way

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelette.

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Oh, and this, which is what Mike alluded to:

A righty was in; I think his name was Cotham. We didn’t really even know who he was, to be honest.

Some prize bulletin board material there.

Maybe even a Kangaroo Court hearing in the Reds locker room will come from this. "Caleb Cotham, you are hereby fined $25 for the end of season party, for this offense. Never heard of you? That's on you, Rookie." :)

I walked my last time up. It was against Webb. I’m not sure of his first name. Actually, I think was against Wood.

"Blake Wood, you are hereby fined $100. You're not even a rookie."

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,409 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 April 2016 - 12:29 PM

And one more:

"I ended up grounding out to short on a little cutter. I’m pretty sure that was on the 1-0 pitch.”

By the time he is 70 and giving a talk to some Cub Scout den meeting about his career, he will be CERTAIN that it was 3-0 and he got the green light and hit a homer.

#24 Drew

Drew

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

By the time he is 70 and giving a talk to some Cub Scout den meeting about his career, he will be CERTAIN that it was 3-0 and he got the green light and hit a homer.

Reminds me of the conference championship game in 9th grade (okay, first playoff game) . I made a diving catch in CF (okay, it was just a flyball to the gap but I did have to range SEVERAL feet to my right) and I went 4-5 with 3 RBI in a 2 run game (okay, I think it was really 2-4 with 2 seeing eye singles and 1 RBI and I think we won by 4?).

On top of all of that I was very, very good looking. 

• SwainZag, bluechipper, spycake and 1 other like this

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,111 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

Braves...Twins...

Has anybody heard from Biggentleben lately?  I'm worried about him. :)

• Mike Sixel and WLFINN like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

I get to cover the minor leagues. They're fun. The Braves have one of the deepest minor league systems in the game, so I have pleasant things to watch at least.

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel and WLFINN like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#27 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

So, here's something impressive to think about...

Steph Curry made 400 3-point baskets in the regular season this year. This broke his own record that he set the previous season of less than 300. It was an increase in 141% of the previous record.

For a baseball comparison, someone breaking the single season home run record would hit 103 home runs in a season. Someone would steal 194 bases. A closer would need to save 87 games. A starter would have to strike out 18.9 batters per 9 innings. Those would all be 141% improvements on the current records. Crazy to consider.

Edited by biggentleben, 15 April 2016 - 11:46 AM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,111 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:56 PM

So, here's something impressive to think about...

Steph Curry made 400 3-point baskets in the regular season this year. This broke his own record that he set the previous season of less than 300. It was an increase in 141% of the previous record.

For a baseball comparison, someone breaking the single season home run record would hit 103 home runs in a season. Someone would steal 194 bases. A closer would need to save 87 games. A starter would have to strike out 18.9 batters per 9 innings. Those would all be 141% improvements on the current records. Crazy to consider.

A team would have to strike out at nearly the rate the Twins have so far this year...

I kid, I kid.

I think.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:35 PM

Much rejoicing in Mudville as the Braves have won a game...

#30 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

Chris Colabello got suspended 80 games for a positive PED test. This is a huge surprise.

Ken Rosenthal and others have posted Colabello's statement on Twitter, with Chris saying he has no idea how this happened.

Edited by bluechipper, 22 April 2016 - 02:47 PM.

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,176 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Reason #7482 why I love Jose Fernandez... He just seems like a fun personality and plays the game the right way... 

• SwainZag and bluechipper like this

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,713 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

Even with losing one of the best young hitters in baseball.....the Cubs are pretty good. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#33 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

Dee Gordon suspended 80 games for steroids... What???

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,713 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

Dee Gordon suspended 80 games for steroids... What???

Most PEDs are not about strength, they are about trying to help your body recover from the constant beating it takes.

• bluechipper and Vanimal46 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,176 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Kung Foo Panda's season is over. He will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the rest of the 2016 campaign. He finished the year 0-6 with 4 K's. He still has 3 years left on his albatross contract. 

• HitInAPinch likes this

#36 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,204 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

Kung Foo Panda's season is over. He will undergo shoulder surgery and miss the rest of the 2016 campaign. He finished the year 0-6 with 4 K's. He still has 3 years left on his albatross contract. 

was really surprised the Bosox signed him.Horrible contract for a guy that's horribly out of shape??

It's not my fault !

#37 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Also saw Devin Mesoraco has a torn labrum. He just may never make it as an elite catcher. He had one shining season...

#38 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

The White Sox just got way better. Today, they DFA'd the worst starter in the MLB, John Danks.

#39 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

It was coming down to the wire, but Fredi Gonzalez narrowly beat out Brad Ausmus for the honor of the first manager fired, losing his job with the Braves today. Ausmus is coming soon, I'm sure.

#40 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,745 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

One potential FA catcher off the market: Francisco Cervelli signed a 3/31 extension with Pittsburgh.