Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eddie Rosario: Best Player on the Twins?

rosario
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:12 AM

A couple seasons ago I declared Brian Dozier the best player on the Twins. Some people laughed, some scoffed, some asked the waiter for the bill. Today, I'm starting to see a shift in my personal power rankings. I'm seeing the emergence of a new boffo hero, Eddie Rosario. 

To me the two players have some definite similarities. Both are heady, opportunistic players that work their butts off to win. Both do everything with professional intensity. If there is one thing in Rosario's favor, it appears to be natural aptitude. Eddie appears to see the game better than most players. He notices when other players have little lapses of attention, and then he instantly takes advantage. He also appears to have fantastic hand-eye coordination. I saw him aim a hit today against Washington into the gap between the right and center fielders to score a couple RBI, missing a triple by a tenth of a second. Later, I saw him pull a ball for a triple, driving in more runs. 

Thing is, on the almost triple, Rosario saw the outfielder bobble the ball at the wall, and instantly bolted for third base. Not many ballplayers do that, other than guys like Bryce Harper. Rosario thinks like Harper, always looking for a way to apply pressure. It would not surprise me a bit to see Eddie Rosario play at an all-star level in this, his second year. 

• ThejacKmp, h2oface, dgwills and 1 other like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#2 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:05 AM

I think Rosario is going to be a solid mlb regular, ideally a 6-8 or 7-9 hitter, decent batting average, decent pop, decent speed, great arm, good glove, good range.I really like the quick hands at the plate and the well aimed cannon in the outfield. 

His big hurdle to overcome is discipline though..260-.280 can get pretty hollow with a lot of ks and no walks.  

The outfield is crowded and Kepler could force his way into the mix.Its going to get very interesting if everyone plays well.

• gunnarthor, h2oface and ShouldaCouldaWoulda like this
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#3 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:56 AM

Rosario has a lot of talent. If everything comes together he will be a top of the order hitter that we need. It always confounds me when I see posters that want to trade him.

• ThejacKmp likes this

#4 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:28 AM

When Kepler demonstrates he can hit in 3A he will force himself into the lineup. This just might be a lot quicker than the Twins expect. In addition to Kepler's hitting, Sano is quickly going to demonstrate just how much he doesn't belong in RF. As to Rosario, I too think he will be the breakout player of the year for our Twins. The twins are very likely going to be forced to make a decision between Mauer and Park.

#5 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:38 AM

Rosario has a lot of talent. If everything comes together he will be a top of the order hitter that we need. It always confounds me when I see posters that want to trade him.

I am not sure "wants to trade" is necessarily the right term. Especially the word "wants". Sometimes, as is the case now, you look at whether making a move allows you to fill a spot with a player with a lot higher upside. In six years this board will be raging with conversations about keeping what are now cheap rookies, and too soon will hopefully be expensive FA. No one will want to get rid of them, but since we can't/won't sign them, they will want to get something of value. To me trading Plouffe was not about wanting to get rid of Plouffe, it was about the team having a much better overall roster balance. I love Arica's potential and would hate for him to be traded. But he's a very bad fit for the slot he is in. As a regular somewhere he has a chance of excelling as a power hitter. But not in a couple bats a week rotation.
  • alarp33 and DaveW like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#6 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

I think Rosario is a really exciting player, especially on the bases.  Hopefully with maturity/experience he gets a little bit better at making choices, though.  He is always trying to take the extra base, but getting thrown out at third is a big penalty.  Love the way he puts pressure on the other team, though, and want him to keep the dial almost as high as it is now- maybe just a little bit more selective.

#7 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:08 AM

At the least, I think Rosario will be the most fun to watch!

It's not my fault !

#8 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,521 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

Rosario is fun to watch, and I think he'll have a good season.

As far as injuries go, if an outfielder was to go down soon, Mastro would get the call first before Kepler.

• DJSim22 and Platoon like this

he gone!

#9 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,225 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

I think the left-handed batters will be especially important given the right-handed dominant rotations of KC, Cleveland, and Detroit. The more Eddie shines, the better the Twins' fortunes.
  • Platoon likes this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,740 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

Eddie's got that "it" or "gamer" factor to him - I think he's going to be just fine.

I look forward to having him and Kepler in the OF sooner rather than later.

• DaveW, bluechipper and Platoon like this

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

Searching for similar 23 year old seasons (players with double, triples, home runs, few walks and lots of strike outs for their era)

I came up with Juan Samuel, Bobby Tolan, Jean Segura, Carl Crawford and Christian Guzman.
  • Oldgoat_MN and ShouldaCouldaWoulda like this

#12 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

Eddie is a got dang ball player.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#13 Rezzy

Rezzy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

Rosario is probably my favorite Twin right now. I'm not sure their is anyone on the team I would rather have at bat or in the field with the game on the line.

He has some flaws in his game for sure. The K's will need to drop and obp is going to have to rise if he plans to take the next step toward stardom.

But with the gold glove caliber defense and quick hands and bat control he has the makings of an elite ballplayer, no doubt about it!

#14 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

I am not sure "wants to trade" is necessarily the right term. Especially the word "wants". Sometimes, as is the case now, you look at whether making a move allows you to fill a spot with a player with a lot higher upside. In six years this board will be raging with conversations about keeping what are now cheap rookies, and too soon will hopefully be expensive FA. No one will want to get rid of them, but since we can't/won't sign them, they will want to get something of value. To me trading Plouffe was not about wanting to get rid of Plouffe, it was about the team having a much better overall roster balance. I love Arica's potential and would hate for him to be traded. But he's a very bad fit for the slot he is in. As a regular somewhere he has a chance of excelling as a power hitter. But not in a couple bats a week rotation.

I guess I should of said that posters would prefer to trade Rosario in lieu of other players on the roster. Trading Plouffe at this point is almost a no brainer if you can get a fair trade. I guess my point is I think Rosario has a lot of upside and is a player we need on this roster going forward. Arcia is a tough one, but I see your point. If he can't contribute of the bench they will have to move him.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

I think Rosario can settle into a pretty solid player - someone with a 105-110ish OPS+ but low on-base levels.  Strong defense and baserunning would make him a fairly consistent 2-3 WAR player.  I like him and glad we have him.  

• zchrz likes this

#16 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

Eddie is the man!

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#17 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

The area Eddie has to fix is OBP. I know everybody says this, but if he doesn't fix this part of his game he is really not a MLB level player. Might be a little early to anoint him a full time job.

He has had an OBP <.300 the last 2 years. He had a fine ST, but he only walked 2 times in 62 PA. Now I know you go to ST to hit, but Eddie has to take a walk when it's offered.

A guy can hit .267 and be a superstar (see Killebrew,Harmon).

Or he can be a replacement level player.

Gotta get on base.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#18 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:31 AM

'Eddie Rosario: Best Player on the Twins?'

No, but fun to watch.

Edited by jimmer, 03 April 2016 - 10:33 AM.

#19 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,862 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

When Kepler demonstrates he can hit in 3A he will force himself into the lineup. This just might be a lot quicker than the Twins expect. In addition to Kepler's hitting, Sano is quickly going to demonstrate just how much he doesn't belong in RF. As to Rosario, I too think he will be the breakout player of the year for our Twins. The twins are very likely going to be forced to make a decision between Mauer and Park.

One possible scenario is if Byung Ho Park can't adjust to the difference between MLB fastballs and MLB off-speed stuff, he might get sent down to AAA while Kepler comes up. Then Sano could go back to DH with Kepler in RF. I did see Park struggling with curve balls in Saturday's game, the first time he seemed a little overmatched. It's not just a matter of gearing up for hotter fastballs, it's whether you can learn to hold back long enough to hit slower pitches. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#20 AKTwins

AKTwins

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

One possible scenario is if Byung Ho Park can't adjust to the difference between MLB fastballs and MLB off-speed stuff, he might get sent down to AAA while Kepler comes up. Then Sano could go back to DH with Kepler in RF. I did see Park struggling with curve balls in Saturday's game, the first time he seemed a little overmatched. It's not just a matter of gearing up for hotter fastballs, it's whether you can learn to hold back long enough to hit slower pitches. 

So, so true.Park hit those home runs early because they were seeing if he could turn around a fastball.Well, we know he can, but I don't think he going to get a lot of fastballs.A lot of people talked about if he can handled the higher velocity stuff in the MLB, but its the sharper breaking stuff he will have to adjust to more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rosario