Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Minnesota Twins extend deal with Double-A affiliate New Britain

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

Through 2014 per the Pioneer Press.

The article states that contracts with Rochester, Beloit and Fort Myers are also up at the end of this year. Jim Rantz said an affiliation renewal with Fort Myers "seems to be a lock." He also predicted "[e]ight or nine teams, at least" moving in the Midwest League.

http://www.twincitie...ouble-affiliate

Edited by East Coast Twin, 19 July 2012 - 05:28 AM.

#2 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

I seem to recall something about the Twins-Fort Myers relationship being tied to a new spring training complex, like the one they just built for Boston. It sounded like they were making good progress on that in getting it approved.

#3 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

Sounds like the rumors NB was jumping ship were just that.

#4 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

if we get a new stadium , i hope that like boston they build it with the same dimentions as target field... so the hot kid in spring training isnt just hitting warning track outs in minnesota

#5 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

if we get a new stadium , i hope that like boston they build it with the same dimentions as target field... so the hot kid in spring training isnt just hitting warning track outs in minnesota

I did some more websurfing to see if I could track that down again. Turns out it's not a new stadium, but they are going upgrade Hammond Field. Fort Myers has agreed to put in $30M, but the Twins are asking for upgrade totalling around $45M, including dorms for players so they don't have to put people up in area hotels. They'll probaby meet somewhere in the middle.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

The biggest thing that the Twins want from teh county in Ft. Myers is some dormitories so that the players in minor league camp, in extended spring, with the Miracle, etc., can stay there instead of a hotel. Gotta admit, I'm a little surprised the Twins re-upped with New Britain.

#7 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

It would be nice if the Triple AAA affiliate was closer to the parent club here in Minnesota.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

It would be nice if the Triple AAA affiliate was closer to the parent club here in Minnesota.

can never have Clete Thomas or Rene Rivera close enough

#9 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

The dream would also be having the Low A squad in St. Paul, perhaps share a stadium with the Saints if the new one gets built.
Papers...business papers.

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

The dream would also be having the Low A squad in St. Paul, perhaps share a stadium with the Saints if the new one gets built.

If anything, it makes sense for the AAA team to be close to the MLB team not a single A team. About half the MLB teams seem to have that arrangement.

Almost shocked to hear about renewing with New Britain. All indications were pointing to the Twins moving their A and AA teams (not Fort Myers, that is A+ ;) ) to the Southern and South Atlantic Leagues. I will be shocked if they stay in Beloit and esp. Rochester.

Seth, as far as the dorm in Fort Myers' go:
About a month or so ago a county commission voted for improvements to the Twins' training complex, which would go hand in hand with a 30-year lease. So I think that the dorms will be taken care of (and the Twins will be there for a while...) There is a lot of empty space south of the complex (I mean south of the county softball fields that are not part of the complex) so dorms can be had near. Also there is space across the street (not sure who are the owners, though...)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

The story mentions major league baseball not wanting a minor league team so close to a major league city. What would the main reason for leaving Beloit and the Midwest league be? A closer proximity to Ft. Myers or is would it be money related. It would appear the Twins have limited options for their Triple AAA club. Best scenario would probably be switching with the Pirates. The Twins get the Indianapolis Indians and Pirates the Rochester Red Wings. The team that's really screwed are the Blue Jays. All the way in Las Vegas, NV.

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

What's wrong with keeping Rochester? From what I've heard they have a good working relationship. The biggest tension the past couple of years has been the quality of players available to Rochester (because the farm system sucks), but this year they are above .500 and are actually within shouting distance of a playoff spot. I don't see any real value from having a farm club in close proximity to the parent organization - plane fares from Rochester aren't going to be that much more than from Indianapolis.

#13 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

The teams talked about wanting the Triple AAA club closer to the Twin Cities. I could care less where the minor league affiliates are located.

#14 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I was at the Kernels game in Cedar Rapids last night. So was Angels GM Jerry Dipoto. Seems he heard through the grapevine that the Kernels were considering declaring themselves open to a new affiliation. Dipoto's organization has done very little relationship building with the people who run CR since he took the Angels job, so his visit may be too little too late. More than one source has told me the Twins have reached out through back channels to indicate they're interested in a discussion if CR does go in to the pool. Not that distance is a primary concern for your Class A team, but CR is the closest existing MWL location to the Twin Cities. It would be a good fit for both organizations. I'm hearing 12 of the 16 MWL teams have expiring agreements this offseason, so Rantz's estimate of 8-9 MWL affiliation changes sounds about right.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

What's wrong with keeping Rochester? From what I've heard they have a good working relationship. The biggest tension the past couple of years has been the quality of players available to Rochester (because the farm system sucks), but this year they are above .500 and are actually within shouting distance of a playoff spot.

Rochester executives, press and fans have been openly hostile towards the Twins. That team is one of the few MiLB teams whose fans are not fans of the MLB team. Even in New Britain, which is pretty much the same fanbase + Red Sox, fans like the Twins. There is a Twins' fanbase in those parts of CT. Not in Rochester. Plus what they did with the Yankees this season (like selling Yankees' MLB merch through the Rochester Red Wings' website - I do understand doing it in the park- and cancelling Red Wings' games to accommodate the Yankees) is pretty inexcusable any way you put it. Plus the park has seen better days and so has the City (that got really affected by what happened to Kodak). In my book the Twins cannot leave there fast enough...

I don't see any real value from having a farm club in close proximity to the parent organization - plane fares from Rochester aren't going to be that much more than from Indianapolis.

I mean close proximity. Car ride away, like my local Phillies and the Braves do and several other clubs. 2 hrs from call to AAA to the ballpark is a major deal and the difference in playing with a 24 or 25 man roster for an extra game.
-----

#16 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not that distance is a primary concern for your Class A team, but CR is the closest existing MWL location to the Twin Cities. It would be a good fit for both organizations.

It would be nice. Thanks for the info.

#17 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I mean close proximity. Car ride away, like my local Phillies and the Braves do and several other clubs. 2 hrs from call to AAA to the ballpark is a major deal and the difference in playing with a 24 or 25 man roster for an extra game.

I like the idea too, but the roster thing is fairly minor - the odds of both the MLB team and the AAA team being home at the same time are about 1 in 4. Most roster moves give guys enough time to get on a plane and make the next game, and the Twins usually wait around for a week before making a move anyway.

My preference would have been for them to dump (or be dumped by) Rochester last year and grab OKC for AAA, but I prefer a 2 hour drive for me rather than for the players being recalled.

#18 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I expect that no matter what the team, the twins will try to stay in the IL, staying away from the PCL bandboxes.

#19 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:38 PM

That would be very helpful for most clubs. Still, if the Twins wait several days (weeks) before putting someone on the DL it doesn't make much difference.:D

#20 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Rochester executives, press and fans have been openly hostile towards the Twins. That team is one of the few MiLB teams whose fans are not fans of the MLB team. Even in New Britain, which is pretty much the same fanbase + Red Sox, fans like the Twins. There is a Twins' fanbase in those parts of CT. Not in Rochester. Plus what they did with the Yankees this season (like selling Yankees' MLB merch through the Rochester Red Wings' website - I do understand doing it in the park- and cancelling Red Wings' games to accommodate the Yankees) is pretty inexcusable any way you put it. Plus the park has seen better days and so has the City (that got really affected by what happened to Kodak). In my book the Twins cannot leave there fast enough...

Where do they end up if they leave Rochester?

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

What I heard (about a couple months ago or so) is that they were targeting teams in the IL South area.

Take that with a grain of salt, because I heard that AA and A will be at the Southern and South Atlantic Leagues (so everything is close to Fort Myers, which will serve more like a MiLB/player development hub), and they stayed with NB.
-----

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ideally in Las Vegas -- easy to get to and lots of other outstanding attractions, including living art galleries.

#23 jwestbrock

jwestbrock

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

From what I've found, the AAA teams without expiring Player Development Contracts (current ML team in parenthesis) are Buffalo (NYM), Pawtucket (BOS), and Rochester (MIN) in the IL and Albuquerque (LAD), Fresno (SFG), Iowa (CHC), Las Vegas (TOR), Memphis (STL), Nashville (MIL), New Orleans (MIA), Oklahoma (HOU) in the PCL. From what I can gather Toronto wants Buffalo, and that would make sense for both sides. Pawtucket and Boston aren't separating. I would guess the Mets will get Rochester if they want it and Buffalo signs up with Toronto. That leaves the Twins moving to the PCL. I doubt Albuquerque, Fresno, Iowa, and Memphis will change affiliations. That would leave Nashville, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Oklahoma to play musical chairs with the Twins, Brewers, Marlins, and Astros. From what I've gathered Las Vegas is everybody's last choice, so that may be where the Twins end up unless one of the other three find something that the Twins offer more appealing.

#24 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:41 PM

The Twins have a better fanbase than the Marlins. Not sure if it's enough for New Orleans to pick up the Twins.

#25 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

It would be fun to have the team in Las Vegas.

#26 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

http://www.oursports...ses/?id=4450419

[TABLE="class: undermast, width: 980"]
[TR]
[TD="class: main_content, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]

New Britain, CT- The Double-A New Britain Rock Cats

Baseball

Club (Eastern League) and the Minnesota Twins have extended their Player Development Contract (PDC) for another two years. This long lasting relationship will keep the Rock Cats and Twins together through 2014, their 20th season. The Rock Cats have been developing players for the

Minnesota Twins

since 1995, the fifth longest continuous working relationship with a major league affiliate in the Eastern League."The Twins are an outstanding partner and a true pleasure to work with. They consistently provide talented players, and individuals of great character who believe in serving our community," Rock Cats President John Willi said.
Since the affiliate began, the Rock Cats have produced two American League Most Valuable Players (Justin Morneau 2006 &

Joe Mauer

2009), a three-time A.L. batting champion (Mauer), a single season A.L. home run and RBI leader (David Ortiz), two ALCS MVP's (Ortiz) and RHP

Matt Garza

along with twelve Major League All-Stars over an eighteen year period. In addition, 148 players have gone from the Rock Cats to the Major Leagues, including two from the 2012 club.
"The Twins are pleased to extend our agreement with the Rock Cats through 2014. We enjoyed our past relationships with owners Joe Buzas and Bill Dowling and very much look forward to working with the new ownership group led by Josh Solomon. It's greatly appreciated how supportive the fans have been over the past eighteen years throughout Connecticut and the surrounding communities," Twins' Senior Director of Minor League Operations, Jim Rantz said.
"The Minnesota Twins are a first class organization and one our franchise is proud to be associated with. Rock Cats fans can continue to look forward to seeing the best of baseball's young talent," Rock Cats owner Josh Solomon said.
Currently, 17 players on the Minnesota Twins 25 man active Major League Roster have played for the Rock Cats. The Twins were named Organization of the Year in 2002 and 2004 by Baseball America and Joe Mauer was named Minor League Player of the Year with the Rock Cats in 2003 (Baseball America). The Rock Cats were named Co-Champions in the Eastern League in 2001 and chosen Double-A Team of the Year by Baseball America.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932

#27 jtrinaldi

jtrinaldi

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

The only thing that is un realistic about bring a team to St.Paul is that the closest drive for them would be 4.5 hours to cedar rapids. Most drives in the MWL divisions are close to 3 hours. Also, It would take a while for the MILB to declare a city unsuitable for minor league baseball. Beloit is getting renovations after next year (even then it will still be the worst stadium in the MWL), and Burlington is a good stadium. It takes around 4 years to move a team to a new location and get rid of a previous one.
Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
http://www.facebook....256164664420932