Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Adam LaRoche retires

adam laroche
  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#61 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Now I'm dreaming about Chris Sale demanding a trade out of the division.

Or how about: Nolasco for Sale? Both seem like change of scenery-type guys now.

Um, isn't that what I said?

• nicksaviking likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#62 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

Hey, not sure anyone has thought about this, but how about Sale for Nolasco?

• Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#63 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

This couldn't have been a written clause in LaRoche's contract or Kenny Williams wouldn't have/couldn't have handled it in this manner. I think it was a verbal agreement gone awry, misunderstood, or larger in scope than thought.

• spycake likes this

#64 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,725 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

There seems to be an echo in here. :)
  • SQUIRREL and Vanimal46 like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#65 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

This couldn't have been a written clause in LaRoche's contract or Kenny Williams wouldn't have/couldn't have handled it in this manner. I think it was a verbal agreement gone awry, misunderstood, or larger in scope than thought.

He could have. LaRoche made the choice to retire rather than fight back. He would have had grounds to fight back if it's written,and he may not have realized that.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#66 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,351 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

There seems to be an echo in here. :)

The acoustics in here are incredible!

HELLO-hello-ello-llo-lo-o

• SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel and Craig Arko like this

#67 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,725 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

The acoustics in here are incredible!
HELLO-hello-ello-llo-lo-o

Almost like Notre Dame Cathedral.
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#68 dgwills

dgwills

• 605 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

Rumor has it that the White Sox are going to be removing the cotton candy maker as well. Sale likely to demand a trade. 

What a bunch of clowns.

#69 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,471 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:58 PM

Rumor has it that the White Sox are going to be removing the cotton candy maker as well. Sale likely to demand a trade. 

What a bunch of clowns.

Clown move, bro.

Please don't choke me!

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#70 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,168 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

"Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, that problem never developed. I'm not going to speak about my son Drake's behavior, his manners, and the quality of person that he is, because everyone knows that I am biased. All of the statements from my teammates, past and present, should say enough. Those comments from all of the people who have interacted with Drake are a testimony to how he carries himself."...

Excerpt of statement by Adam LaRoche. Seems like a stand up guy. It also sounds like Kenny Williams pulled a bush-league move and went back on a prior agreement.

The rest here: http://m.mlb.com/new...makes-statement

Edited by Blake, 18 March 2016 - 02:32 PM.

• Han Joelo likes this

#71 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,525 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

"Though I clearly indicated to both teams the importance of having my son with me, I also made clear that if there was ever a moment when a teammate, coach or manager was made to feel uncomfortable, then I would immediately address it. I realize that this is their office and their career, and it would not be fair to the team if anybody in the clubhouse was unhappy with the situation. Fortunately, that problem never developed. I'm not going to speak about my son Drake's behavior, his manners, and the quality of person that he is, because everyone knows that I am biased. All of the statements from my teammates, past and present, should say enough. Those comments from all of the people who have interacted with Drake are a testimony to how he carries himself."...

Excerpt of statement by Adam LaRoche. Seems like a stand up guy. It also sounds like Kenny Williams pulled a bush-league move and went back on a prior agreement.

The rest here: http://m.mlb.com/new...makes-statement

But ... wouldn't it seem that that's what Kenny Williams was doing? Addressing a concern by asking LaRoche to have him be around less? LaRoche took the stance 'all or nothing' and quit. And good for him if that's what he needs to do for his family. I don't think the Sox did anything wrong here. And I don't think Adam LaRoche did either. If there was an agreement, I think it was a handshake agreement or it would have been handled differently. If it were in his contract in writing, I think you'd have to go through the player's agent at the very least.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#72 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,168 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

But ... wouldn't it seem that that's what Kenny Williams was doing? Addressing a concern by asking LaRoche to have him be around less? LaRoche took the stance 'all or nothing' and quit. And good for him if that's what he needs to do for his family. I don't think the Sox did anything wrong here. And I don't think Adam LaRoche did either. If there was an agreement, I think it was a handshake agreement or it would have been handled differently. If it were in his contract in writing, I think you'd have to go through the player's agent at the very least.

Did you read the rest of the statement at the link? According to LaRoche, it went from "Don't bring your kid around as much"  to "don't bring him around at all."

Here is what I'm referring to; "With all of this in mind, we move toward the current situation which arose after White Sox VP Ken Williams recently advised me to significantly scale back the time that my son spent in the clubhouse. Later, I was told not to bring him to the ballpark at all. Obviously, I expressed my displeasure toward this decision to alter the agreement we had reached before I signed with the White Sox."

Again, before signing with the Sox, LaRoche did his due diligence. Then Williams changed the terms of the original agreement, twice.

LaRoche's teammates are standing by him and being rather vocal about the situation. That, in and of itself, doesn't speak well of the way Kenny Williams handled things.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that Adam is upset too much. Rather, it sounds like LaRoche realizes it's time to move on.

Edited by Blake, 18 March 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#73 Dman

Dman

• 1,881 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

While I understand the Sox management dilemma of having a kid there everyday it looks like there may be greater blow back if they go back on their word so to speak.  The players seem firmly behind LaRoche on this issue.  You lose the trust of your players and I sense many trades in the White Sox future.

IMO if there was an agreement, even a verbal agreement they need to honor that.  Call it a one time deal.  Say you will never do it again but honor the agreement you made or pay the price.  If they lose the clubhouse they will lose the season as well.

#74 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,023 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

The players seem firmly behind LaRoche on this issue. 

Not buying that one bit. I think Williams is the sacrificial lamb in this situation. I bet everyone got tired of having a child around all the time, and no one wanted to hurt feelings. 

Also, from what I read, Sale blew up over this, but that seems to be way more about Williams and Sale's opinion that he's out of touch with the players. This just gave him a reason to start yelling and throwing things around. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#75 spycake

spycake

• 17,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

The rest here: http://m.mlb.com/new...makes-statement

What LaRoche doesn't seem to understand is, if someone has a problem with the situation, it's not up to him to talk to that person and tell him how great his son is as a way to "address" it. Can you imagine if you had a problem with a coworker's special work arrangements, and you went to your boss, and he made sit in a room and tell your coworker face to face? I'm sure LaRoche, Sale, and his athlete buddies think that's how "real men" should deal with it, but that's not how you resolve issues in the workplace in real life.

Given that, it wouldn't surprise me if LaRoche didn't grasp some of the nuance of their verbal agreement about the situation either.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#76 spycake

spycake

• 17,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

LaRoche's teammates are standing by him and being rather vocal about the situation. That, in and of itself, doesn't speak well of the way Kenny Williams handled things.

The players seem firmly behind LaRoche on this issue.

Nope. LaRoche's buddies Sale and Eaton are vocally behind him, but that's about it. Note how most of the team has stayed silent. They didn't necessarily want LaRoche to retire over it, but I suspect most don't really give a hoot about preserving his special privileges. The MLBPA will look into it on LaRoche's behalf of course, although if it's not part of the written contract there is not much that can be done.

Edited by spycake, 18 March 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#77 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

I have colleagues with great kids, but I wouldn't want them underfoot 100% of the time. Not really sure what the correct response would be over this, but I can't imagine Williams asking for a little bit less if not for some reason that came up.

That's exactly what I thought when I read about this. But if he was assured that it was OK when he signed, even if just verbal, then I think you can change the rules but La Roche is grandfathered. If you are not good for your word, you are dirt, anyway. I think it is weird to want the kid around all the time to begin with. I have heard of "helicopter parents" but this is a first for a "helicopter kid". And at 14, it might be a good time to dial it back a bit anyway. Let the kid be a kid.

Edited by h2oface, 18 March 2016 - 06:40 PM.

#78 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

Let the kid be a kid.

But a professional baseball locker room is SUCH a better teacher of what the real world is about!  

• big dog likes this

#79 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,558 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:00 PM

I steal all my best ideas.
  • USAFChief likes this

#80 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,287 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

I predict Sale is traded to KC for Duensing by morning.

• USAFChief, David HK and spinowner like this