Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Adam LaRoche retires

adam laroche
  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#21 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

I have colleagues with great kids, but I wouldn't want them underfoot 100% of the time. Not really sure what the correct response would be over this, but I can't imagine Williams asking for a little bit less if not for some reason that came up.

• nicksaviking, h2oface and notoriousgod71 like this

#22 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,340 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Speculation is that other players complained about the kid being around way too much.

Tough situation, but they have a point.
  • Carole Keller, nicksaviking, notoriousgod71 and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#23 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:58 PM

I would be less than thrilled if my coworkers brought their kids to work every day. Somebody would be asked to leave. 

• nicksaviking likes this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:00 PM

Is it just during the spring or all-season that this happens?  That wasn't clear to me.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,825 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

Is it just during the spring or all-season that this happens? That wasn't clear to me.

All season.

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

All season.

Yeah.....sorry Laroche, the team isn't in the wrong in that case.  

• nicksaviking likes this

#27 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this, but interesting.  I can honestly see this from both sides and certainly have to say good on LaRoche for sticking up for his son.  

http://www.foxsports...oing-on-031616

Nothing against Dave LaRoche or his son, but you can see how this would be a problem, can't you? The White Sox either have to have a double standard for who's allowed to hang around in the clubhouse (Okay to Dave's kid, No to 'Turtle' from Melky's posse) or else allow the same kind of access to anybody the other players want with them as well. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#28 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

[quote name="Teflon" post="448943" timestamp="1458166809"]

Nothing against Dave LaRoche or his son
  • USAFChief likes this

#29 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

Dude don't even get me started on dave laroche.

#30 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

Dude don't even get me started on dave laroche.

Sorry. I should have said David LaRoche or his son - or his son's son.

Edit - I forgot to ask if Ricky Nolasco's son hangs around the Twins clubhouse much.

Edited by Teflon, 16 March 2016 - 05:38 PM.

• gil4 likes this

#31 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:52 PM

Guys at work are talking about Morneau ... 

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,450 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

I would be less than thrilled if my coworkers brought their kids to work every day. Somebody would be asked to leave.

One of my coworkers attempted to hide the fact he was bringing his kid to work by sneaking him in the back door, and sticking him under his desk. Guy got away with it for about 2 weeks until his kid started walking around and eating people's snacks in the kitchen.. Needless to say there was a company wide meeting to inform people that kids should not be present in the office unless it's an emergency... something I thought was common sense.

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,450 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm with the White Sox 100% on this issue. Are there times when children are welcomed at the work place? Of course. If there's a work related event, family day, whatever. Your employer, however, is not a free daycare service. They are 100% in the right to try and put a stop to it.

#34 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:34 PM

Edit - I forgot to ask if Ricky Nolasco's son hangs around the Twins clubhouse much.[/quote]
Pretty sure most would agree ricky, himself hangs out too much around those parts, so...

#35 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,790 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this, but interesting.  I can honestly see this from both sides and certainly have to say good on LaRoche for sticking up for his son.  

http://www.foxsports...oing-on-031616

My guess is the son would have been much less of a problem if dad hadn't hit .207 last year. 

• jbissell likes this

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,373 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:27 AM

Ya, there is no way they can let 1 player bring his son to work every day. It's just not appropriate.

If he really quit because he wants to see his kids grow up, good for him. I remember just a month ago saying Mauer might want to do that, and people saying no one would ever give up millions to do that......

• Vanimal46 likes this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,450 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

Before we crown LaRoche as father of the year, let's also look at the other side of the coin here. 

Long ago, LaRoche prioritized bringing Drake with him over traditional schooling. He goes to class in winter. In Viera, he brings schoolwork with him and sees a private tutor at a Sylvan Learning Center. They live in a small Kansas town, and LaRoche arranged Drake’s education with the public school. LaRoche said Drake’s school is fine so long as Drake passes standardized tests.

We’re not big on school,” LaRoche said. “I told my wife, ‘He’s going to learn a lot more useful information in the clubhouse than he will in the classroom, as far as life lessons.’ ”

Source

Look, it's his kid, he can raise him how he wants. At the end of the day, he's pigeon-holing his kid on future advancement. Doesn't sound like he makes homework or schooling in general a high priority. Instead spending time in the clubhouse is a much higher priority. I don't know how that kid 1 - ever had a childhood and made friends his own age 2 - ever gets accepted into a college/technical school, whatever he chooses to do. 

The reality today is that a Bachelor's degree is the equivalent of a high school diploma in the past. If you don't have it, your job prospects are few are far between. 

#38 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

White Sox players were apparently going to boycott today's game in support of LaRoche... but manager Robin Ventura talked them out of it.

http://espn.go.com/m...rt-adam-laroche

#39 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

Regardless of the son issue, this is a big win for the Sox. Money saved, roster spot freed up, unproductive veteran - gone.

Sounds like the plan could be to move Abreu to 1B full time, Garcia into the DH spot where he can focus on hitting and not expose his defense.

http://www.fangraphs...in-the-pennant/

Its a little eery how closely the whole situation resembles the Mauer-Park-Arcia logjam for the Twins actually.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#40 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,275 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

Its a little eery how closely the whole situation resembles the Mauer-Park-Arcia logjam for the Twins actually.

So what I'm hearing is that we need a no side burns rule?

• Willihammer, spycake and Vanimal46 like this