Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Adam LaRoche retires

adam laroche
  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#201 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Speaking of the Nationals- I wonder if Dusty Baker has any young kids (or grandchildren) he wants to use on the field again.

#202 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

It seems like the apology needs to be from Sale to Williams. Called him a liar and said he should be fired.

If he's a man he will

#203 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

Perhaps.  But as we said, management and LaRoche seem to publicly behaving just fine.  The public drama has mostly been led by Sale.  I doubt there was much that management or LaRoche could do to contain him.

Exactly. From what I'd heard, LaRoche attempted to come to a negotiation point with the White Sox after his announcement and the information as to why he made the announcement became public. He wanted to keep it from becoming a drawn out thing. When he felt that wasn't going to be possible, he turned in his papers and turned it over to his union to handle further grievances.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#204 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

Speaking of the Nationals- I wonder if Dusty Baker has any young kids (or grandchildren) he wants to use on the field again.

Interestingly, Baker referenced his own son when discussing this issue with Peter Gammons. Gammons referenced an article in a tweet, but I can't grab the tweet at work.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#205 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

That analogy doesn't work. Corner office would mean a corner locker for a MLB player.........

......And the pretty much accepted fact that it wasn't a formal written guarantee of access pretty much backs up the idea that all parties knew it wasn't immutable and could be open for revision under certain conditions.

As an aside --- the corner locker is a horrible locker, not like the best room on the floor with all the windows! It is where there are far too many people too close and jammed in the corner....... with no clothes on.....butts (and other things) to close to my face.........and with no 180 degree gorgeous views.:confused:

From LaRoche's statement, and him not trying to fight it, he seems happy with his decision to me. I think it is others that are making it a way bigger deal than it is to him. From his expressed understanding in his statement, it almost seems like he is relieved that he could give himself a reason to quit and stop the embarrassment and pain and suffering, and this gave him one.

Edited by h2oface, 21 March 2016 - 08:03 PM.