Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Adam LaRoche retires

adam laroche
  • Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Adam LaRoche is walking away from baseball after a 12 year career. The 36 year old was due to make $13 million this season with the Chicago White Sox, and has made over $70 million in his career. 

Here's the link of the story. 

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:10 PM

Interesting. Some money saved for the Sox. Thankfully for us he didn't retire earlier in the winter or the Sox could have better re-allocated that money and filled his roster spot (like Park).

#3 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Gotta say I'm always impressed when a player feels they cannot help the team anymore and has the integrity to walk away from millions of dollars.

Props

• USAFChief, Blake, Teflon and 7 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#4 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

Loved LaRoche throughout his career. One of the true ADD exemptions.

Maybe we now know where Morneau ends up...

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

Great call on Morneau. I'm going to be torn seeing him in a White Sox uniform if that's the case but he deserves to play somewhere this season.

#6 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Here is an ESPN article suggesting just such a signing.

http://espn.go.com/b...-justin-morneau

I'm a Morneau fan and even if he were to play for the dreaded White Sox - and do well - I would greatly enjoy it.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 15 March 2016 - 09:03 PM.

• Eris and Vanimal46 like this

#7 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

Darn, the White Sox just got a lot better.

LaRoche does seem like a good guy though. Hopefully the personal issue isn't anything serious. I can't really imagine walking away from $13M just because of back problems.

#8 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

Darn, the White Sox just got a lot better.

LaRoche does seem like a good guy though. Hopefully the personal issue isn't anything serious. I can't really imagine walking away from $13M just because of back problems.

Yeah....... color me skeptical, PED suspension coming down and he agrees to do this to save face? Some other scandal? Unrelated baseball injury? etc?

Just color me skeptical.....

• Kwak likes this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#9 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:48 PM

Gotta say I'm always impressed when a player feels they cannot help the team anymore and has the integrity to walk away from millions of dollars.

Props

Or when a player is more or less forced/blackmailed/does it to get rid of a potential scandal/suspension.

Not saying that is the case here...but there is a reason why it has only happened once recently in Meche. (Nishi doesn't count)

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#10 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:09 PM

Or when a player is more or less forced/blackmailed/does it to get rid of a potential scandal/suspension.

Not saying that is the case here...but there is a reason why it has only happened once recently in Meche. (Nishi doesn't count)

Ryan Dempster?

Heck, Chipper's agent fielded calls after his goodbye season attempting to convince him to play one more year.

Mark Buehrle hasn't officially retired yet, but he basically denied every call his way this offseason, and he's not an ace, but he'd certainly outperform half of the league's #4 guys and save bullpen innings.

Radke could have had surgery and tried to return and chose instead to retire.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#11 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:36 PM

Ryan Dempster?

Heck, Chipper's agent fielded calls after his goodbye season attempting to convince him to play one more year.

Mark Buehrle hasn't officially retired yet, but he basically denied every call his way this offseason, and he's not an ace, but he'd certainly outperform half of the league's #4 guys and save bullpen innings.

Radke could have had surgery and tried to return and chose instead to retire.

There is a HUGE difference, those guys aren't already signed to a high paying guaranteed deal the upcoming season. He literally left $13 million on the table. That's weird. That's like 20% of his entire net worth/career earnings. Again, that's weird, something is up/fishy.

It's not like broken down Radke or Chipper was going to get any sort of big payday (and it's not like it was already guaranteed to begin with to boot)

#12 KGB

KGB

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

Michael Cuddyer retired this year with another $10+ million guaranteed.Like Oldgoat said above, you got admire the integrity to walk away from millions of dollars.

• Oldgoat_MN and h2oface like this

#13 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,800 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

There is a HUGE difference, those guys aren't already signed to a high paying guaranteed deal the upcoming season. He literally left $13 million on the table. That's weird. That's like 20% of his entire net worth/career earnings. Again, that's weird, something is up/fishy.

It's not like broken down Radke or Chipper was going to get any sort of big payday (and it's not like it was already guaranteed to begin with to boot)

Dempster left $13.25M on the table when he sat out voluntarily before retiring: http://www.mlbtrader...-to-retire.html

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,220 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:31 AM

Cuddyer walked away from about $10 mil this winter (after buyout).

#15 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Cuddyer walked away from about $10 mil this winter (after buyout).

But how many millions has he already banked?? How many million do you need to feed your family? There comes a time when you need to enjoy life. Good for him!!

• Circus Boy likes this

#16 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:41 AM

I would bet there was a buyout.

#17 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:14 AM

I can understand the cynicism some (one person?) has shown, but I don't agree.  I am just now past that same age.  I had a seasonal job that took me away from family--pretty conflicted time for me.  I've finally let that job and lifestyle and self-identity behind, with "nothing" to show for it besides great memories and friends; certainly not millions of dollars in the bank.

We toss these dollar figures around so much they lose all meaning.  I could live out my life on Laroche's salary from last year alone.  And if I am looking in my child's eyes, how can I tell them $13 million dollars is more important than being home with them?  Especially if the situation is leading to marital problems that might lead to a divorce.

I have a lot of respect for Laroche, Cuddyer, as well as Sabbathia, for what he did.  Cuddyer said it beautifully in his Player's Tribune piece, something like "I've had a chance to follow my dreams, now it is time to support my children as they begin to chase theirs."

• Mike Sixel and IndyTwinsFan like this

#18 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

But how many millions has he already banked?? How many million do you need to feed your family? There comes a time when you need to enjoy life. Good for him!!

I've personally socked away enough to feed my family lunch. At McDonald's. Fish sandwiches all around.

• USAFChief and Blake like this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,690 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

I've personally socked away enough to feed my family lunch. At McDonald's. Fish sandwiches all around.

At that price, you could double your quantity of food by getting 2 McDoubles! 

• Circus Boy likes this

#20 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this, but interesting.  I can honestly see this from both sides and certainly have to say good on LaRoche for sticking up for his son.  

http://www.foxsports...oing-on-031616

• h2oface likes this