Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Ricky Implies He Won't Go Quietly to the Pen

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,243 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

If that's too much for some posters, maybe we could go with 'Ryan's track record with free agent pitchers has put him in a poor position to be objective about the potential advantages of signing free agent pitchers'.

Maybe we should first make a list of all the free agent pitchers that Ryan has signed, so all of us can be objective on the subject...

FWIW, the first pitcher he brought in was Rich Roberson on a waiver claim

the second was Vince Horseman as a minor league free agent signing...

The first major league free agent he signed was 3 years into the job in 1997: then 36 year old Bob Tewksbury. (I am ignoring the Rick Aguillera tap dance)

Second one. Same season.32 year old Greg Swindell.

I can go on and on, but.... 

• LaBombo and ewen21 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#142 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:14 PM

One....again...I liked Nolasco initially. The team was floundering and needed help. He wasn't my first choice, that was Kazmir, but I thought it was a solid move at the time.

It just hasn't worked out. It happens. To loosely paraphrase Bull Durham: "baseball is filled with bad moves (trades)". I absolutely hate May in the pen, though I get it, he helps a bunch for now, and the rotation has depth...but...COME ON. But I get it. But at a certain point in this situation, doesn't the money aspect have to be ignored?

I mean, the Twins have paid for 2 seasons of injury and poor/lousy performance. And no matter what, they are on the hook for 2 more seasoms, whether Nolasco is jnjured, or stinks, or performs well in whatever capacity. Right? And I get that you'd like to receive something positive to show for your investment, but unless Nolasco really, really cranks it up in big time fashion, is he really going to be better than and out perform Duffey, Milone and Berrios, (possibly May) at this point? All guys that weren't here when he was initially signed.

Forget cost, again, it's sunk, if you really think he makes the club better by being part of the pen over a second lefty, or a youngster like Pressly or Graham or whoever, then keep him and do it. You are the Twins...you are signing the checks...it's your sunk money...it's your team that you are supposed to be taking care of, and putting the best one on the field to compete. You tell him to pitch, in whatever capacity you want, or go home. Too much for a reliever? Yep. Too much on the hook to just dump him? Yep. But it's been this way for two years now already! Sooner or later, this just has to about what's best for the team on the field, and money has to be left out of it.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#143 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,793 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:21 AM

The reasoning behind signing Pelfrey was "it's his second year off Tommy John"

I'd like to know his reasoning behind signing this guy.  If there was any at all

Worst pitching in the league might have had something to do with it.... and lest we forget, Nolasco wasn't exactly a bad option the year we signed him.I'm not liking Nolasco right now, but I think we tend to get a bit revisionist in our history here.It wasn't a good signing based on the results, but it was one of the better FA options out there.There's a reason he got twice as much as Hughes did. 

This also gets into one of my big beefs with the idea that we just need to go out and sign a guy.When you commit 48 million to a player over 4 years, said player doesn't get cut if he doesn't perform.That's a reality with baseball that I think fans tend to forget.

• SQUIRREL, Riverbrian and Major League Ready like this

#144 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,154 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

Maybe we should first make a list of all the free agent pitchers that Ryan has signed, so all of us can be objective on the subject...

FWIW, the first pitcher he brought in was Rich Roberson on a waiver claim
the second was Vince Horseman as a minor league free agent signing...

The first major league free agent he signed was 3 years into the job in 1997: then 36 year old Bob Tewksbury. (I am ignoring the Rick Aguillera tap dance)

Second one. Same season.32 year old Greg Swindell.

I can go on and on, but....

Hmmm,so far slightly underwhelming, but I just got up and I have all day. Let me know when you get to the good parts,I don't want to miss anything! :)
  • Riverbrian likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#145 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 503 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

Let him pitch.  Just keep the leash nice and short...

#146 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,894 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

Let him pitch.  Just keep the leash nice and short...

Only if he earns it.  If he's terrible in ST as a starter or reliever off with his head.

#147 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,066 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

Worst pitching in the league might have had something to do with it.... and lest we forget, Nolasco wasn't exactly a bad option the year we signed him.I'm not liking Nolasco right now, but I think we tend to get a bit revisionist in our history here.  

Nope, you can't say that if you are talking to me.  You don't know what I thought of the deal right away.  I hated it.  I hate signing veteran FA stop gap pitchers as a policy.  Ryan does this almost obsessively and it is no way to go, imo

• DrNeau likes this

#148 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,066 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:23 PM

Didn't Phil Mackey do a rundown of Ryan's FA starting pitcher signings last spring?

It's an atrocity.  What's worse is the starting pitching this team has raised on Ryan's watch.  Name me one starting pitcher that has done anything (that came through our system) since Garza was called up in September of '06.  Go look around the league and get back to me.

Ryan's record in this area is brutal.  

• DrNeau likes this