Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Nick Blackburn Promoted to Twins

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

We knew Matt Capps was going on the DL. Now we know the other half of the transaction. RHP Nick Blackburn, who pitched well and ate innings in his two AAA starts since his demotion, will return to the Twins. Most likely Blackburn would replace Brian Duensing in the starting rotation with Duensing returning to the bullpen. With Deduno's rough start tonight, it will be interesting to see if he remains in the rotation, maybe goes to the bullpen of if they would DFA him (can't imagine anyone would claim him so he should be able to go back to Rochester). Jeff Manship started in Rochester and pitched well again giving up two runs in six innings.

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well that didn't take long.

#3 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

Let the shuffling of chairs commence.

#4 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Yo-yo time for all these guys....I don't think either is all that good, so it doesn't matter much to me at this point, as long as Duensing moves back to the pen. There are only so many pitches in an arm....imo.
Lighten up Francis....

#6 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

move made 100% due to contractual reasons......will the Bill Smtih ere ever cease to haunt

#7 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

What did he fix to pitch the way he did is my question? I want Hendriks up.

#8 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Remember when Blackburn pitched game 163? That was awesome.

#9 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

I have no problem with bringing Blackburn back up. He was sent down to work on getting his sinker down in the zone, he had good success in AAA, and now bring him up to see if it translates.

#10 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

Let the shuffling of chairs commence.

The ships already sunk. This is just people barely alive trying to get on the cap sized lifeboat.

#11 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

Blacky has to pitch at some point.

#12 glennhl

glennhl

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Seth, you are right, Manship is throwing it very well right now in AAA. It's not very often you see a pitcher get 4 strikeouts in one inning!

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

The rotation should probably be for the next few weeks: Francisco Liriano Scott Diamond P.J. Walters Nick Blackburn Jeff Manship/Cole DeVries

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I want to point out that this Capps nonsense is pretty atrocious. The guy was hurting last year and yet the signed him again and lost picks and yada, yada, yada. That is atrocious general management and clearly atrocious medical work.

#15 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

The rotation should probably be for the next few weeks:

Francisco Liriano
Scott Diamond
P.J. Walters
Nick Blackburn
Jeff Manship/Cole DeVries

I think the Manship has already sailed. He couldn't even handle long relief. Why should he get starts? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring back that shipwreck. I'm glad Blackburn has been added again and it's the best move for now.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

I think the Manship has already sailed. He couldn't even handle long relief. Why should he get starts? There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to bring back that shipwreck. I'm glad Blackburn has been added again and it's the best move for now.

Manship is now fully starting again at Rochester. I think he is exactly like Swarzak for the most part. Sam Deduno and Cole DeVries (though CD is comparable) are not as good as Manship. That's all.

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

I want to point out that this Capps nonsense is pretty atrocious. The guy was hurting last year and yet the signed him again and lost picks and yada, yada, yada. That is atrocious general management and clearly atrocious medical work.

How dare you question the Twins' outstanding medical staff. They took the most scientific approach that they could think of.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

How dare you question the Twins' outstanding medical staff. They took the most scientific approach that they could think of.

Haha. Some terrible science. The empirical cases against the medical staff seems pretty conclusive!

#19 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

Decries, Defungal, Blackbum, Man****, Swarzattack, are all the same pitcher, 88-91 and hit your spots. None of them will ever be big league capable starter IMO!!

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Decries, Defungal, Blackbum, Man****, Swarzattack, are all the same pitcher, 88-91 and hit your spots. None of them will ever be big league capable starter IMO!!

By midseason 2013 (at the earliest), I hope none of them are starting (unless Blackburn returns to pre 2010 form).

#21 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

I wish nothing but bad things apon Nick ****ing Blackburn.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

At this point, I honestly don't care. Nick Blackburn, Cole De Vries, Sam Deduno, it's all the same.

#23 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

At this point, I honestly don't care. Nick Blackburn, Cole De Vries, Sam Deduno, it's all the same.

At this point it should be Liam, why keep trotting out Blackburns worthless ass when you have someone who's MLB and deserves a chance to sink or swim in the majors.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

At this point it should be Liam, why keep trotting out Blackburns worthless ass when you have someone who's MLB and deserves a chance to sink or swim in the majors.

I think it's becoming more obvious that there is something very specific the Twins want Hendriks to work on in the minors. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here... for awhile. But he needs to be up here well before the end of the season, especially if he continues making International League hitters look foolish every fifth day.

#25 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I think it's becoming more obvious that there is something very specific the Twins want Hendriks to work on in the minors. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here... for awhile. But he needs to be up here well before the end of the season, especially if he continues making International League hitters look foolish every fifth day.

When it comes to the Twins and pitching, the last thing they deserve is the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by DPJ, 18 July 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:44 AM

When it comes to the Twins and pitching, the last thing they deserve is the benefit of the doubt.

We don't have all the information. Maybe Hendriks simply lacks confidence. Maybe he's tipping pitches. It could be any number of things; we just don't know.

And when I don't know, I tend to defer to those who do.

If Hendriks is still dominating IL hitters on September 1st, then I'll start to doubt the organization. There is still plenty of season left and if he's a better pitcher for sitting in Rochester for a few weeks, so be it.

#27 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

I really don't understand why Blackburn has become public enemy number 1. When healty the guy has proven to be a decent #5. The best thing that can happen with him is that he can return to form so the Twins don't have to trot in another Marquis, Ortiz or Hernadez to fill in the back end of the rotation next year, and rather they can focus on acquiring a front line starter or two.

#28 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

I really don't understand why Blackburn has become public enemy number 1.
When healty the guy has proven to be a decent #5. The best thing that can happen with him is that he can return to form so the Twins don't have to trot in another Marquis, Ortiz or Hernadez to fill in the back end of the rotation next year, and rather they can focus on acquiring a front line starter or two.

There's very little difference between Marquis, Ortiz, Hernandez, and Blackburn.

#29 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Great news now we can make a real playoff run. That little pitching problem is fixed.

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

There's very little difference between Marquis, Ortiz, Hernandez, and Blackburn.

The point is we already owe Blackburn the money, so I'd much rather him be the #5 starter then going out and spending another 3-5 million on a Ortiz/Hernandez/Marquis type guy.

If he could give us a 4.50 ERA and 170 IP I'd be thrilled.