Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Votto's and Bautista's injuries' effect on Twins trade market

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chaderic20

chaderic20

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Just curious what people think. Do the recent injuries to Votto (torn cartilage in knee - out 4 weeks) and Bautista (unknown wrist injury, but he appeared to be in significant pain) have any effect on the Twins trade market? Does it make the Reds more desperate for another power bat like Willingham? Are they maybe now even interested in Morneau? Same for the Jays, with Bautista possibly out for a while does that make them more willing/desperate to make a move?

Edited by chaderic20, 17 July 2012 - 09:34 AM.
Typo

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

I think the fact that Greinke has been awful and that Hamels might be re-signed by Philadelphia has more of an impact. Liriano might go from second tier to best pitcher available in a week.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,095 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Agreed with RPG, with Greinke being held out for precautionary sake, that is a big deal. 15 strikeouts don't hurt either. I think Toronto should not be buyers this year, not if Bautista is out long. I think the Reds should be buyers (and Pitts). Pittsburgh might be even more likely to deal now, as they might feel they can take advantage of the next three weeks. Too bad they couldn't sign Appel, making Tallion possibly available.....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,672 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Obviously, all of these things help the Twins. I think Votto's injury is the biggest event for us, since Reds are in 'win-now' mode. Span, to me, seems like a better fit for the Reds, they have crappy play from CF and no good lead off hitter.

#5 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

Injuries have very little effect at all, they have others to pick up the slack for a month.

#6 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

If Willingham or Span were a rental player it would make sense, but neither team is going to over-react to a 4-6 week injury by trading assets for a guy who will they will be on the hook for 3 years. (Though it is still possible they would want Willingham or Span, I just don't think the injurys will make the least bit of difference)

#7 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

If Toronto was gonna panic and make an injury trade they would have done so for a pitcher as they're pitching nobodies right now (that are still somehow better then the Twins pitchers) I could see Span wit hthe Reds, but even with his contact issues Stubbs still offers alot with the glove & baserunning.

Edited by DPJ, 17 July 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,186 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

If Willingham or Span were a rental player it would make sense, but neither team is going to over-react to a 4-6 week injury by trading assets for a guy who will they will be on the hook for 3 years.

(Though it is still possible they would want Willingham or Span, I just don't think the injurys will make the least bit of difference)

I think it has an impact, only a small one. If the Reds want Span, it's because they want a center fielder for the next 2-3 years, not because they're terrified after Votto's injury.

#9 BrentMpls

BrentMpls

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Little effect if any would be my guess. I think the new 1 game playoff has a much greater impact if the Twins end up making some moves.