Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cord-Cutters are Winning? ESPN is losing?!

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

I cut the cord on cable almost 4 years ago, with no intention of ever going back to buy a traditional cable subscription. The fact is there are so many alternatives in the market like over-the-air TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, etc. that I don't know why I would ever go back to cable. I'm waiting for a time when it all becomes a-la-carte at a reasonable price, and maybe we're getting closer to that time. 

Nothing makes me more happy than to read that ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers over the last 2 years; among the highest in the industry, and the most costly. If BIG Cable giants like ESPN are starting to feel the heat, then I am hoping others are too. 

• glunn and mikecgrimes like this

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

ESPN is second on my list for places I want to suffer - a distant second behind Comcast.

I hope those *@%@#$ get really screwed.

• glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

I remember ESPN being at the top of their game in the 90's, and Baseball Tonight was my favorite show to watch as a kid. If the Vikings or Twins are on, I will watch that, but the quality in their other programming has declined so sharply that it's lost all of my interest.

It's a pick your poison proposition for all internet/cable providers. Internet is internet to me, and once the promotional rate is over, I'm switching to another provider instantly.  

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

When baseball tonight fell off in quality that was the end of my watching ESPN.  I only watch it now if there is a rare game i want to see.  

I want Comcast to suffer because, for many of us, we don't have an alternative for cable or internet and those *@$%&@ sure make us pay for that.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

So I just read an article that ESPN is planning to expand on e-sports (competitive video game league) as a way to get subscribers back... Good luck with that ESPN. 

#6 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

ESPN was incredibly slow (and in many ways still hasn't) to jump into the subscription based systems online, and it's killed them. They tie their WatchESPN app to cable subscription and they still don't have a stand-alone subscriber-based system. I'd love to be able to watch live sports now and then, but I'm not paying for cable just to get it. Now they're at least partnered with Sling TV, but still you cannot get into things like ESPN Classic or ESPN U or anything like that.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#7 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

I think ESPN is worth it to watch all of their live college games.
  • DaveW likes this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

I think ESPN is worth it to watch all of their live college games.

To each his own.. ESPN is still very profitable today because of purchasing the rights to the power conferences' basketball and football games in college, MLB and Monday Night Football.

For me personally, I don't care to watch basketball, and the network treats my favorite winter sport hockey like it does not exist.

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

To each his own.. ESPN is still very profitable today because of purchasing the rights to the power conferences' basketball and football games in college, MLB and Monday Night Football.

For me personally, I don't care to watch basketball, and the network treats my favorite winter sport hockey like it does not exist.

Which is too bad because ESPN used to have some of the best hockey analysts and coverage you could find, even when they didn't have live games.

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Which is too bad because ESPN used to have some of the best hockey analysts and coverage you could find, even when they didn't have live games.

And arguably the best theme song of all sports... 

Sad, really... Now all they have is Barry Melrose who's brought in to talk about the Penguins or Blackhawks game for 15 seconds. 

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:03 AM

Meh, they had some good play by play guys, Emrick (not my cup of tea), Kelly and Hughson. Never cared for most of their analysts, Clement was smart and knew his stuff and JD could be ok, but the rest were pretty dull.

ESPN hockey broadcasts never kept my interest much.

#12 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:04 AM

And arguably the best theme song of all sports...

Sad, really... Now all they have is Barry Melrose who's brought in to talk about the Penguins or Blackhawks game for 15 seconds.

HNIC will always have the best theme song, if only because of longevity.

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,440 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:06 AM

Meh, they had some good play by play guys, Emrick (not my cup of tea), Kelly and Hughson. Never cared for most of their analysts, Clement was smart and knew his stuff and JD could be ok, but the rest were pretty dull. Espo was a self aggrandising idiot.

ESPN hockey broadcasts never kept my interest much.

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,293 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

So, Robert Flores has now announced he's leaving ESPN. They've lost both of their Football Today podcast hosts in less than a month. They keep trying to play it off, but they're losing the good people they have and hemorrhaging money. It's going to be a hard fall without some action fast.

#15 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Banned
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

I cut the cord on cable almost 4 years ago, with no intention of ever going back to buy a traditional cable subscription. The fact is there are so many alternatives in the market like over-the-air TV, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Sling TV, etc. that I don't know why I would ever go back to cable. I'm waiting for a time when it all becomes a-la-carte at a reasonable price, and maybe we're getting closer to that time. 

Nothing makes me more happy than to read that ESPN has lost 7 million subscribers over the last 2 years; among the highest in the industry, and the most costly. If BIG Cable giants like ESPN are starting to feel the heat, then I am hoping others are too. 

It would be so easy if I was a Twins fan out of state.Just about every penny of my cable bill is because of the Twins OK more like 45% Twins 45% College hockey 10% everything else.I can go long periods without watching Netflix because I binge everything I love so quickly but the fact it's always there as an option still makes it worth it

#16 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,594 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

I plan on cutting the cord this year. Might wait until baseball is over, we'll see. I'm coming up on my year with direct tv, so prices are going to jump in a few months. if there was no black out on mlb tv, I never would have signed back up with direct tv. It's only a matter of time until that is lifted. The days of big cable are behind us.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,301 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

I don't have cable, haven't for years.

With everyone offering streaming now, or very soon, you can choose your channels now, and see almost anything (other than sports). Even Netflix is likely to lose my business soon, as Amazon and (soon) BBC America will have me covered.

Netflix's one advantage at this point is its ability to recommend quirky comedies that I otherwise would never find. And that's a big advantage.

btw, does HBO Now have the worst app ever? On the Roku, I saw no way to say "show me this series"....it never figured out I was watching GoT or Sonic Hiways, ever.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

btw, does HBO Now have the worst app ever? On the Roku, I saw no way to say "show me this series"....it never figured out I was watching GoT or Sonic Hiways, ever.

Yes they do have the worst app ever. I did the 2 week free trial period to see if it's worth $15/month, and experienced several problems. One, it did not work on all devices. Had the hardest time getting it to load properly on the Roku. I also had problems with the app crashing during the middle of a show. 

I like the idea HBO has to go rouge from the cable subscription, but their app needs a remodel before I spend $15/month on it. 

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,301 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Ya, I just cancelled HBO. will bring it back when GoT's season is over this year, to watch that.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• 12,629 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

Kevin Draper of Deadspin wrote another article this morning about ESPN continuing to lose subscribers. The number is now 10 million lost subscribers over the last 3 years. All cable networks are starting to feel the heat from cord-cutters.