Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

The stock market

• Please log in to reply
1115 replies to this topic

#1101 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 26,041 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:11 PM

Stock market soaring on the news of Biden's win. Reaches all-time high. The last nine months have convinced me that I will never understand the market. 

News regarding a couple of vaccines might have more to do with today's jump. Very hard to separate signal from noise, let alone signal from other signal.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Build tunnels. Nobody burns their tunnels behind them.

#1102 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 12:17 PM

Not that I'd ever tell anyone what to do, but I'll type a name here for a random reason.

Fiverr.....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#1103 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 02:13 PM

Not that I'd ever tell anyone what to do, but I'll type a name here for a random reason.

Fiverr.....

I've had pfizer in my IRA for a few years now, mostly b/c of the dividend reinvestment (I love dividends). It hasn't been a great stock, really, but it's a decent enough longterm stock that I'm not worried about it either. (Just a random note, but my wife has held Coke in her IRA for a five years now and man, does that dividend reinvestment work).

I'm way over exposed to big banks (WFC, USB) which hurt a bit although the little I have in tech (MSFT, ROKU) this year offset that. We now have a pretty big cash pile - roughly 20% of our holdings - so we will probably make a few big buys in a while. I'm sure one will be a conservative index fund but I'm not sure about the other. We don't own Apple or Amazon, for instance, but danged if I can figure out if this is a good jump in point. A week ago, I was ready to jump in on MC but I waited too long. 

#1104 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 11:46 AM

I've had pfizer in my IRA for a few years now, mostly b/c of the dividend reinvestment (I love dividends). It hasn't been a great stock, really, but it's a decent enough longterm stock that I'm not worried about it either. (Just a random note, but my wife has held Coke in her IRA for a five years now and man, does that dividend reinvestment work).

I'm way over exposed to big banks (WFC, USB) which hurt a bit although the little I have in tech (MSFT, ROKU) this year offset that. We now have a pretty big cash pile - roughly 20% of our holdings - so we will probably make a few big buys in a while. I'm sure one will be a conservative index fund but I'm not sure about the other. We don't own Apple or Amazon, for instance, but danged if I can figure out if this is a good jump in point. A week ago, I was ready to jump in on MC but I waited too long. 

not pfizer.....fiverr, which continues to plummet.....

#1105 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 10 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

not pfizer.....fiverr, which continues to plummet.....

Oh, I thought you were going with a phonetic thing.:)

• Mike Sixel likes this

#1106 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

Twelve percent today... Hope you bought it

#1107 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

Twelve percent today... Hope you bought it

I did. Thank you. Bought a little bit of SNAP as well.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#1108 danunti

danunti

• 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:12 AM

I've been on the Fiverr train for a while along with SQ. Any other favorites you'd like to share?

#1109 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:36 AM

I like:

Okta

New Relic

Shopify

Activision Blizzard

Amazon

Apple

Square

Slack

Zoom (still like them)

Pinterest

I pretty much like anything that helps with the cloud / internet, remote work, etc. I am TECH HEAVY,

#1110 danunti

danunti

• 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:50 AM

I'm also pretty tech heavy (probably a little more than I'm comfortable with). Of the ones you mentioned, I also have:

Activision

Apple

Square

Slack

Pinterest

I really wish I'd gotten in on Shopify when you all were talking about it on this board last year.

I've been dipping my toe into some hospitality names thinking that they'll rebound after the vaccine.Could be a good buy low time.

#1111 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:12 AM

Long term I love travel related stocks. At some point, we'll all travel again, regardless of a vaccine or not. Those stocks, the survivors, will go up for sure.

#1112 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:03 PM

Long term I love travel related stocks. At some point, we'll all travel again, regardless of a vaccine or not. Those stocks, the survivors, will go up for sure.

Yeah, I was just eyeing up Delta and Boeing as potential candidates for me to jump back into the market.

Another stock to keep an eye on is Intel. They're going to get ****ing clobbered for the next 12-24 months by Apple and AMD but Intel has unrivaled manufacturing might and engineering prowess. Expect their stock to take a drubbing and then come back strong.

#1113 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:15 PM

Yeah, I was just eyeing up Delta and Boeing as potential candidates for me to jump back into the market.

Another stock to keep an eye on is Intel. They're going to get ****ing clobbered for the next 12-24 months by Apple and AMD but Intel has unrivaled manufacturing might and engineering prowess. Expect their stock to take a drubbing and then come back strong.

Largest employer in OR.....they better do well!

#1114 Dodecahedron

Dodecahedron

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 64 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:47 AM

Watch Novocure, they are close to releasing their cornerstone product.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#1115 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:07 AM

Watch Novocure, they are close to releasing their cornerstone product.

Talked me into some....thanks.

#1116 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:00 PM

https://www.investor...als/?src=A00220

Likes NVCR and OKTA, one of Mike's picks. I passed on AMD a while back and still regret it.