Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

The stock market

• Please log in to reply
1115 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

Ouch. Lots of pain.  Our portfolio has lost about 17% of its value in the last month or so.  That really sucks.

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

Yes, but, if you don't need the money in the next year or two, it doesn't really matter. Indeed, this is a great time to buy*. That said, I do need some of the money to help my kids pay off student loans.....so ya, this has hurt a bit. Really, most people should just ignore the market until they are much, much, older, and just keep putting money in.

*that is not financial advice, that is an opinion. I repeat, that is NOT financial advice.

• SQUIRREL likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

No kidding... Being in my mid 20's my portfolio is high risk/very aggressive and about 85% stocks... It hasn't been a fun month to say the least.... down 22% since the end of 2015 to be exact. 

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Yes, but, if you don't need the money in the next year or two, it doesn't really matter. Indeed, this is a great time to buy*. That said, I do need some of the money to help my kids pay off student loans.....so ya, this has hurt a bit. Really, most people should just ignore the market until they are much, much, older, and just keep putting money in.

*that is not financial advice, that is an opinion. I repeat, that is NOT financial advice.

That's how I'm viewing it... Try to contribute a portion of my salary/commission checks to the portfolio each month to keep building it, and live off of the rest of the funds I earn. 

The only big purchase I'm planning for is to buy my first house in 2017/2018... hopefully the aggressive approach pays off to put at least 20% down in the future.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hell, I'm 51 and I'm in an aggressive mix. 

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Sadly, I'm a nonprofit attorney.  A few years ago Congress passed a loan forgiveness program that would forgive your loans after you've worked at a nonprofit for 10 years and were paying off the debt while working.  Last summer I learned that I was paying it off but under the wrong plan so all my years didn't qualify.  (That was a really bad day).  I had actually been paying MORE than I would have under the qualifying plan but it didn't matter.  So my wife and I started planning how we'd pay off this 100k and decided to make a big payment out of our savings in March 2016 (after we had owned a certain stock for a year to get lower taxes).  And now the our portfolio is tanking just as we're getting ready to actually use it.  As I said, 'ow'.

But I agree it is actually a good time to buy low on some things.  Oil will eventually go back up.  And some of the financial giants are a good price, too.**

**that is not financial advice, that is an opinion. I repeat, that is NOT financial advice.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

I'm getting killed. I've lost over 20% of my market value in the past 6-8 weeks. I've aggressively invested in individual stocks over the past few years. Had 70% gains overall, now down to about 35% gains.

Oh well. All my stocks are long-term investments with the exception of Apple, which is in freefall for no good reason. But they pay a decent, if underwhelming, dividend so I'm not sure whether I'll sell next time they appear to peak or hold on to them indefinitely.

But man, Netflix has been killllllllling it for me. Invested in them 13 months ago.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Ouch. I imagine my mom, who relies on a small portfolio, is a bit down this week.......I should call her.

And, that scenario sucks. And, thanks for being in the non-profit world, we need more help out there.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

If I was to invest in a stock right now, it'd be Apple. The market's valuation of them is nonsensical and their P/E is absurdly low.

It'd be a good idea to get into them before their quarterly report in a week or so.

• glunn, gunnarthor and Vanimal46 like this

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

not advice:

Activision

Disney

Netflix

Amazon

I am in on all of those.....

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

If I was to invest in a stock right now, it'd be Apple. The market's valuation of them is nonsensical and their P/E is absurdly low.

I have it both in my self directed 401K and personal account....if that means anything to anyone.....not advice, btw. 

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:28 AM

not advice:

Activision

Disney

Netflix

Amazon

I am in on all of those.....

High fives, Mike. I'm in on Disney, Netflix, and Amazon. Amazon and Netflix in particular.

Patience is really the key with the market, IMO. I sat on a stagnant Amazon around $300 per share for over a year and then the damned thing doubled in 8-10 months.

• glunn, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 1 other like this

#13 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

When I retire, I wil have Military retirement (already have). Federal employee retirement
(Working towards) and if social security is still around, that too. I dabble with a 401k (it will do whatever it does) and I will have a quality nest egg in savings when I retire. I don't want to just count on one thing. I want multiple sources of income.

Edited by jimmer, 20 January 2016 - 10:43 AM.

• glunn likes this

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,858 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Apple and Google have been a fun ride the last couple of years. I'm waiting for a day when Apple reaches $700 a share again like it was in September 2013... 

#15 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

I read A Random Walk Down Wall St. about a year ago and that has guided my retirement investing since. All passive, mostly foreign, no individual stocks. My returns are down as bad or worse than anyone's but its a good read nonetheless if anyone out without a finance degree is thinking about socking away some money for a while.

Edited by Willihammer, 20 January 2016 - 10:44 AM.

• nicksaviking likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,204 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

When I retire, I wil have Military retirement (already have). Federal employee retirement
(Working towards) and if social security is still around, that too. I dabble with a 401k (it will do whatever it does) and I will have a quality nest egg in savings when I retire. I don't want to just count on one thing. I want multiple sources of income.

Yeah, obviously as many different plans is better.  I have a small 401k right now with a full match from my employer.  My wife will get a state pension.  We have some IRAs as well.  We also set up some 529 plans for our kids college funds which will (hopefully) pay a large portion of that down the road.  We got lucky and paid off our mortgage early so we're managing to put away a pretty good amount each month.  

If not for those damn school loans (at 7.5% interest) ...

#17 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,556 posts
  • LocationFrostbite Falls, MN

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hell, I'm 51 and I'm in an aggressive mix. 

I'm 54 and my mix isn't aggressive ... but it's not a conservative mix, either.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Yeah, obviously as many different plans is better.  I have a small 401k right now with a full match from my employer.  My wife will get a state pension.  We have some IRAs as well.  We also set up some 529 plans for our kids college funds which will (hopefully) pay a large portion of that down the road.  We got lucky and paid off our mortgage early so we're managing to put away a pretty good amount each month.  

If you missed it (this program started at the beginning of the year I think), might be work checking out: http://www.selfrefi.state.mn.us/

4.5% refi rates.

• gunnarthor likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

I read A Random Walk Down Wall St. about a year ago and that has guided my retirement investing since. All passive, mostly foreign, no individual stocks. My returns are down as bad or worse than anyone's but its a good read nonetheless if anyone out without a finance degree is thinking about socking away some money for a while.

An all time classic book. Truly.

#20 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Not a fan of the 529.......it isn't very liquid. That said, it isn't an awful idea.

If I was young again, and had young kids, I'd be buying rental properties, and gifting them 10K a year of the value. Then, when they need the money, they can either use the rent, or sell the places. But, that ship has largely sailed for me.....though maybe not.....

*not advice, just what I'd do.....

Edited by Mike Sixel, 20 January 2016 - 11:27 AM.

• glunn likes this