Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Making A Murderer (Netflix)

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#261 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:21 AM

Anyone watch the second season yet? Thanks to plenty of writing that needed to be done, I plowed through the season over the course of a weekend as I worked, which probably means i missed plenty, but the outcome still makes little sense.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#262 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,721 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:29 AM

Not sure why they thought a second season was necessary. Have there been any developments on this case since the 1st season?

Edited by Vanimal46, 22 October 2018 - 08:29 AM.

#263 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Plenty. Dassey had a ton, many of which are outlined here in this thread, but the full sad follow up is included. With Avery, new evidence, questions on previous evidence, even in-fighting with the Avery family as another one of them could be implicated.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#264 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,505 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

I watched it this weekend while getting a good start on the prospect handbook. So, it's possible I missed some too. But, it was good. I know one thing. If I ever end up in a bad situation where I think I'm wrongly accused, I want Steven Avery's lawyer.

As much work as she did for Steven Avery, she barely got any response on it.

Much of the story was on the kid and his ever-changing situation over those two years. 

I feel bad for Steven's parents. And, I probably feel bad for the kid''s mom too, though that got interesting in the latter episodes too.

• biggentleben likes this

#265 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:51 PM

I wonder if Brendan Dassey has a shot at a pardon with a Democratic Governor now?

#266 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,505 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:59 PM

I wonder if Brendan Dassey has a shot at a pardon with a Democratic Governor now?

Hmmmm... but I doubt it. The facts (including those that aren't mentioned in the documentary) are still there. 

#267 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

Hmmmm... but I doubt it. The facts (including those that aren't mentioned in the documentary) are still there.

Are you talking about Dassey or Avery? I'm talking about Dassey. There is no evidence whatsoever connecting Dassey to the murder except his laughable confession.

Avery deserves a new trial, IMO, but there is certainly at least some evidence against him.

#268 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,505 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:05 AM

Are you talking about Dassey or Avery? I'm talking about Dassey. There is no evidence whatsoever connecting Dassey to the murder except his laughable confession.

Avery deserves a new trial, IMO, but there is certainly at least some evidence against him.

The only question I have is how much of the reality we are seeing. The Netflix show is showing one side... 

#269 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:33 AM

The only question I have is how much of the reality we are seeing. The Netflix show is showing one side...

I have read every available piece of information I can find on this case, including 22,000 pages of court transcripts, and many viewpoints from both sides.

My conclusion is that when it comes to Steven Avery, you are correct. I believe there is enough mishandling of the investigation, suspicious behavior by the cops and prosecutors, and failure from his defense, that Avery deserves a new trial. But yes, there is more that we aren't seeing on MaM that isn't good for Avery. He'll never be considered for a pardon, he'll need to get a new trial.

Not Dassey though. Not one shred of evidence that corroborates the State's version of events, aside from his confession. There are a few rumors, theories, second hand statements, etc., but nothing that I'd classify as evidence. Someone claimed he came home that night with blood on his jeans. But no bloody jeans were recovered, so without that evidence we have no idea what was on his jeans, if anything.

I find it simply beyond plausible that someone as slow as Dassey committed everything that the State's version of events would have required, without leaving one shred of physical evidence behind.

It's an outright shame that he's spent a day in jail, let alone 12 years.
  • PseudoSABR and biggentleben like this