Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Trading Season Opens: Prepare For Disappointment

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Good article JC! If I were an opposing GM, I would start the conversation with Terry Ryan with, "You guys have the worst starting rotation in baseball. Why do you want to trade your best starting pitcher? What's wrong with him?". That being said I really hope we can get something good for Frankie. I trust Ryan to make a good deal.

#22 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Good article JC!
If I were an opposing GM, I would start the conversation with Terry Ryan with, "You guys have the worst starting rotation in baseball. Why do you want to trade your best starting pitcher? What's wrong with him?".

TR response: "We're just not confident that we can sign him to a long-term deal - we think he would be happier with a different organization." Problem solved.

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Just as a reminder -- and for a bit of amusement -- I'm bumping this thread. And yes, it appears that JC and others were right in thinking that Frankie should have been traded immediately after his 15K performance.

#24 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

And yes, it appears that JC and others were right in thinking that Frankie should have been traded immediately after his 15K performance.

Even during his good streak teams were still thinking of him as a reliever suggesting that his value was never very high.

#25 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, I'd have dealt him right after that 15K performance, but Oxtung is right, the "rumors" at the time didn't have much that indicated he was highly valued. Also, the legitimate rotation upgrades like Greinke were still on the market, so teams that were in on him (like Chicago, for instance) weren't ready to settle for Liriano. Ryan indicated other teams were still interested, but if what he got from Chicago was indicative of what others were offering, there wasn't anything being offered that Liriano fans would have felt was enough. I guess I would restate my quetsion from the article... if you were a GM, what would YOU offer for two months of Liriano? After Frankie's implosion in Chicago last week, I'm surprised Ryan got what he did.