Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins vs. Athletics, 07/13/2012, 7:10pm

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-13-2012-7-10pm

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

Twins:
Span CF

Revere RF
Mauer DH
Willingham LF
Morneau 1B
Plouffe 3B
Dozier SS
Butera C
Carroll 2B
(Liriano P)

A's:
Crisp CF
Weeks 2B
Reddick RF
Cespedes DH
Carter 1B
Gomes LF
Norris C
Inge 3B
Hicks SS
(Griffin P)

#3 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Where the hell do the A's continue to find these arms? I know Oakland can Petco a pitcher, but they keep trading arms only fill them with no name talent that gets the job done.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:15 PM

Where the hell do the A's continue to find these arms?

I know Oakland can Petco a pitcher, but they keep trading arms only fill them with no name talent that gets the job done.

Yep. Billy ****in' Beane. That's all I can say about it.

Luckily for the rest of the division, he can't find bats to go with those arms.

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,401 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

I hope when Liriano is traded they trade Butera with him!

#6 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

The All Star game was so taxing for Joe he couldn't man up and catch a game after 4 days off. We need to quit calling him a catcher when he only does the job part time. Nothing like paying 23 mil for a slap hitting DH who forces us to play freaking Butera 50 games per year!

#7 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

The All Star game was so taxing for Joe he couldn't man up and catch a game after 4 days off. We need to quit calling him a catcher when he only does the job part time. Nothing like paying 23 mil for a slap hitting DH who forces us to play freaking Butera 50 games per year!

Have you been watching ANY Twins games lately when Liriano is pitching? It has always been Butera catching, because he seems to be able to get through to Liriano on the mound where nobody else has been able to.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

It has always been Butera catching, because he seems to be able to get through to Liriano on the mound where nobody else has been able to.

Except for that time Liriano had his best season ever with Joe Mauer behind the plate in 2010.

But whether or not Joe should be catching Liriano, it's certainly not his decision. Gardy is the one to blame for that.

#9 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Have you been watching ANY Twins games lately when Liriano is pitching? It has always been Butera catching, because he seems to be able to get through to Liriano on the mound where nobody else has been able to.

If Joe can't get thru to pitchers what value does he have besides a DH/1B? Seriously quit calling this guy a catcher.

#10 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

If Joe can't get thru to pitchers what value does he have besides a DH/1B? Seriously quit calling this guy a catcher.

If not a Catcher, what would you suggest we call him? He has 145 of his 283 AB's while catching. If you are curious, he has 88 while DHing and another 50 while playing first base.

#11 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

If not a Catcher, what would you suggest we call him? He has 145 of his 283 AB's while catching. If you are curious, he has 88 while DHing and another 50 while playing first base.

He is a high value utility guy who catches 3 days a week. A rich man's Skip Schumacher with less speed but better vs LHP.

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

A rich man's Skip Schumacher with less speed but better vs LHP.

Calling Joe Mauer a rich man's Skip Schumacher is like calling Craig Biggio a rich man's Nick Punto.

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

While I am beginning to despise having Butera catch Liriano every time, I have mixed opinions about Mauer. IMHO, how much Mauer catches is a much tougher call. If Mauer is behind the plate too much, he misses games because he gets beat up, If Mauer catches too little, his value at a premium defensive position is not maximized. Gardenhire has used Mauer about 50% of the time as a catcher, I guess I'd like to see him there a bit more. The nonsense of Butera being Liriano's catcher should stop, but in a lost season, it bothers me a bit less.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm a little skeptical of this game starting on time.

#15 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Why does is ****ing matter how much Mauer catches this year? He isn't blocking anyone. He isn't taking AB's from Jim Thome. Get off it. Let him build his legs up. Next year this team will be better, and the after a playoff caliber team. Let Mauer spend his time behind the plate then, when there ARE bats that need to be in the lineup. Who ****ing cares right now.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Why does is ****ing matter how much Mauer catches this year? He isn't blocking anyone. He isn't taking AB's from Jim Thome. Get off it. Let him build his legs up. Next year this team will be better, and the after a playoff caliber team. Let Mauer spend his time behind the plate then, when there ARE bats that need to be in the lineup. Who ****ing cares right now.

What he said.

#17 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm a little skeptical of this game starting on time.

I cannot take much more of this damn All Star break. They need to play tonight even if they have to wear SCUBA gear.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

I'm so ready for baseball.

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

The weather is starting to clear. They might just make it on time.

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Those last two games in Texas were blacked out here, so it has been a LONG time since I watched a game. I got so desperate that I had to watch the Yankees and Red Sox and the stinking AAA all star game.

#21 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

Rubbin son, is racin'.

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Rubbin son, is racin'.

Can someone translate this from Smurfish into English?

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

I think it's a little...optomistic...to hope Mauer is going to catch MORE as he ages.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

At this point we need to do everything possible to make Liriano look like a good trade candidate, so yes as crappy as it is to have Butera in the lineup it is a nesecary evil at this point. Right or wrong it seems to be working for Fragile Frankie. These next 3 starts will make or break what we can get back for Liriano.

#25 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

I think it's a little...optomistic...to hope Mauer is going to catch MORE as he ages.

Mauer isn't being held back from catching because he is banged up, he isn't catching because he doesn't have to.

#26 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Mauer isn't being held back from catching because he is banged up, he isn't catching because he doesn't have to.

That makes sense to me. Why wear him down when the season is already lost.

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I guess that's possible. It's also possible--more likely I'd say--this work load is all he can handle and still be able to stay on the field most days.

#28 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

anyone keeping an eye on the minors? Pat Dean has 6 no-hit innings for Ft. Myers currently.

#29 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

If Tim McCarver ia good enough for Steve Carlton, Butera is good enough for Liriano. Goofy lefties anyways!

#30 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Not sure who Liriano thinks he is