Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Trade Target Team Profile: Washington Nationals

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ngton-Nationals

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Carroll and Capps for Wort?

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

Parker, your write-up for Bernadina was stellar. Succinct, accurate, and totally honest.

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

this makes me glad Bill Smith was fired.

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

With the innings limit on Strasburg it is very possible they will need another starting pitcher, I wonder if they would be interested in Liriano. One player I wouldn't mind targeting would be Alex Meyer, maybe an outright swap of Liriano for Meyer would get it done? I also wouldn't mind them going after Lombardozzi eventually as well, once Rendon is ready he will be out of a position, and though I'm not sure he is a great starter, he would be a nice stop gap on the Twins at 2B (or SS if Dozier can't hack it)

#6 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

Parker, Roger Bernadina was a throw in. The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi. I was happy the trade was not made at the time but not because the Twins could of gotten more for Span. I was unhappy because I wanted to see Revere playing everyday in CF where he is most valuable.

#7 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

A closer, a late-relief pitcher, a big and strong 3rd basemen, a journeyman outfielder? Yes, that is what the twins need. I hope very much that none of these things happen. These types of moves would make me very sad for our future.

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

A closer, a late-relief pitcher, a big and strong 3rd basemen, a journeyman outfielder? Yes, that is what the twins need. I hope very much that none of these things happen. These types of moves would make me very sad for our future.

I would take Skole in a heart beat, the guy has some pretty awesome power and his bat could even potentially play at first base, and just because Plouffe has had a nice half at third base we shouldn't all of a sudden limit our options there. Besides, Skole is prob at least 1.5 years away at this point anyways.

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi. I was happy the trade was not made at the time but not because the Twins could of gotten more for Span.

would have

could have

Sorry, but that drives me ****ing nuts.

#10 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I would take Skole in a heart beat, the guy has some pretty awesome power and his bat could even potentially play at first base, and just because Plouffe has had a nice half at third base we shouldn't all of a sudden limit our options there. Besides, Skole is prob at least 1.5 years away at this point anyways.

I must admit that I know nothing about Skole. These days I am suffering from starting-pitching tunnel vision so it hurts my logical thought. If Skole has solid future value then to get that for players who will not be part of the twins future is good. If nothing else it would increase our trade position for pitching down the road.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I must admit that I know nothing about Skole. These days I am suffering from starting-pitching tunnel vision so it hurts my logical thought. If Skole has solid future value then to get that for players who will not be part of the twins future is good. If nothing else it would increase our trade position for pitching down the road.

Much like the draft, in a trade you really should take the best prospect available. Give me a high upside bat over a #4/#5 potential starter any day.

#12 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Much like the draft, in a trade you really should take the best prospect available. Give me a high upside bat over a #4/#5 potential starter any day.

That seems like kind of a broad brushstroke. At what point will you address need?

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I agree to a point, but to be fair, at one point you have to consider organizational need. Otherwise you end up with a rotation that is fronted by Nick Blackburn and a bunch of AAA guys.

#14 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

One player I wouldn't mind targeting would be Alex Meyer, maybe an outright swap of Liriano for Meyer would get it done?

Meyer is one of their better prospect right now but, unfortunately, after being drafted in 2011, he was not signed until August - which means he cannot be outright traded this trade deadline. He would need to be a Player To Be Named Later.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

I agree to a point, but to be fair, at one point you have to consider organizational need. Otherwise you end up with a rotation that is fronted by Nick Blackburn and a bunch of AAA guys.

Yeah at some point, but when its a high upside guy like Matt Skole vs a non upside pitcher you go with Matt Skole 10 times out of 10. I'm really not interested in trading for any pitcher that doesn't have at least a #2 starter upside. We have plenty of guys who can man the #4/#5 and probably even the #3 spots moving forward in Gibson, Diamond and one of Hendriks/Walters/Blackburn/etc

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

I think the Twins will get Lombardozzi at some point in the next 12.5 months. He's actually a pretty good stopgap, who could make Casilla and Carroll obselete. The point, though, is pitching. They would have to get Lombardozzi in addition to an arm.

#17 jdogg4949

jdogg4949

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yes let's trade Span for a guy who's ceiling is utility player (read Lombardozzi )...

#18 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Roger Bernadina was a throw in. The Nationals would of given us Drew Storen as the main trade piece for Denard Span. The Twins were trying to get them to throw in Lombardozzi.

Even as a throw in, Bernadina was a throw away - but the Twins were asking for Bernadina at first (as the reports go) and then shifted to Lombardozzi later on.

#19 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Skole interests me as we are lacking in prospects at 3B and even better if he could transition to 1B. I know we have Harrison and Sano, but you can never have enough corner, power bats in the system. I would also prefer a high end pitcher or a nice middle infielder, but Skole would be a decent consolation prize.

#20 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yes let's trade Span for a guy who's ceiling is utility player (read Lombardozzi )...

Nobody is saying that... people are saying Lombardozzi would be a nice 2nd or 3rd piece of a trade with the Twins. Sorta like when we traded Milton and got back Silva and Punto.

Lombardozzi FWIW would have some value on this team, it would allow the Twins to trade away Caroll and DFA Casilla (saving a total of 3-4 mil or so between the two) and he would be an instant upgrade at 2B.

Also I'm not sure why his ceiling is a utility player?
He had a .780 OPS in the minors including an .842 OPS in AA. No reason why he couldn't easily post a .740-.760 OPS (if not higher down the road) at 2nd base, which would make him a pretty viable option for a few years.

#21 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Brian Goodwin or bust!

#22 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I would take Desmond.

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'd still be interested in Robbie Ray, although he's not pitching as well in high A this year. He got roughed up early, but since the middle of May he's been pitching pretty well. Sammy Solis is TJ'ing it currently but he'd still interest me as a PTBNL. Perhaps the Nationals have given up on Matt Purke, he has a hard time staying healthy and currently has shoulder tendonitis, though when healthy he has obvious ace upside. I'd welcome any of these guys as a piece of a Span trade. Solis and Purke have injury concerns, but I think they'd still be worth a look.

#24 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Perhaps the Nationals have given up on Matt Purke, he has a hard time staying healthy and currently has shoulder tendonitis, though when healthy he has obvious ace upside.

He's another guy who signed post-August last year and would not be available in a trade or has to be a PTBNL.

#25 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Purke is damaged good, last time he threw it was reported her was mid-80's and his control has deserted him. His shoulder is mush at this point.

#26 kirbyelway

kirbyelway

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

I remember Ian Desmonds name being thrown around last year. He would look nice at SS right now!!!

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Here is a name that I suspect will be talked about between the Twins and the Nats: LHP Dan Rosenbaum. He plays close to me (Harrisburg) and had a chance to see him a couple of time last season and this season as well and he is a guy who is in the Twins' mold. Not a hard thrower, 89-92, plus control, throws strikes and has a great change up. He can be in the mix for the Twins' rotation for 2013. Another interesting, from a trivial point at least, tidbit is that his manager at Harrisburg is Matt LeCroy. Just another name to add to the list. The Twins need MLB-ready starting pitching :) (I Know I Sound Like a Broken Record)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98