Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

There is no God...

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

...at Midway Stadium in St. Paul this summer as the Twin Cities' scrappy little east side club is hosting an atheist night. It's clever and all but it is a bit sacrilegious to the one true deity, the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

#2 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

"A night of unbelievable fun" Well played...

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Fascinating, I was just looking up how to become ordained into the FSM church, so I could officiate some friends' wedding.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

Saints general manger Derek Sharrer said, "The one thing I can assure you is that it will be all in good fun. This isn't about mocking or ridiculing any one belief. This is about presenting the beliefs of this group of folks in a way that can be fun and entertaining." I'm sorry, but I have no faith that atheists can avoid ridiculing other people's beliefs. Can't wait to see what they do (besides naming them the Aints for one game...pathetically unoriginal.) I fear it will be about mocking and ridiculing everyone's beliefs.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#5 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm sorry, but I have no faith that atheists can avoid ridiculing other people's beliefs. Can't wait to see what they do (besides naming them the Aints for one game...pathetically unoriginal.) I fear it will be about mocking and ridiculing everyone's beliefs.

Hey, hold on a second. Everyone loves mythology. Right?

#6 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

I personally think this goes too far. If they're going to do this, then I'd like to see a Christian Night (where my Christian beliefs are actively promoted; not just church groups attending) and a Jewish Night and a Muslim Night and a Hindu Night.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I vote for a Pagan Night.

#8 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

[quote name='Bark's Lounge;33950]Hey' date=' hold on a second. Everyone loves mythology. Right?[/QUOTE']

Please elaborate.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

This thread makes me want to smoke some ganja and take some shrooms.... awesome... and thanks!:o

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,259 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

This thread makes me want to smoke some ganja and take some shrooms.... awesome... and thanks!:o

After today's game, I need to join you.

#11 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Please elaborate.

Hello Mr. Powerwrap. I am sure religion has had it's benefit for some and maybe they have executed it in way that is useful to mankind. The stories of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are just as I said - stories. Not much different than a Spiderman Comic Book, a Sweet Valley High Short Novel, or reading the Onion News. Mythology can be fun and it can also be a detriment. I have people in my family and people who are distantly close to me who promote the ideas of being saved, spreading the message, and all of the other junk I do not care to mention while being morally flawed and without charity. The ancient Greeks worship many Gods, of these we mostly use the term mythology. All of these grandiose stories are basically the same and Blind Faith is intellectual suicide. Of this I cannot subscribe....

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

-sigh- Can we talk about politics next?

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

-sigh- Can we talk about politics next?

Sure - you start it....

#14 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

After today's game, I need to join you.

Anytime... but tonights game has to be way more stomachable than last nights - July 13 (last night) was the true atrocity.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I vote for a Pagan Night.

The Mets traded him to the Giants last offseason.
And got to love his full name btw. Angel Pagan or Pagan Angel. But not a Drunken Angel

Edited by Thrylos, 14 July 2012 - 08:54 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

The Mets traded him to the Giants last offseason.
And got to love his full name btw. Angel Pagan or Pagan Angel. But not a Drunken Angel

Nice:)

#17 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm sorry, but I have no faith that atheists can avoid ridiculing other people's beliefs. Can't wait to see what they do (besides naming them the Aints for one game...pathetically unoriginal.) I fear it will be about mocking and ridiculing everyone's beliefs.

While I find the idea of organized atheism a little silly, you could probably stand to chill out.

I think our message here and our brand of entertainment has always been one that’s been inclusive,” Saints GM Derek Sharrer told FOX Sports North. “When we were approached by the Minnesota Atheists, we felt like it was within our nature to be inclusive and certainly work with them to provide them the opportunity to provide their message in the same way that we have worked with hundreds and hundreds of faith-based groups over our 20 years here in St. Paul.”

http://hardballtalk....t-the-ballpark/

#18 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

While I find the idea of organized atheism a little silly, you could probably stand to chill out.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do. I really can't see how they can celebrate the idea that there is no God and anyone that believes in one is stupid.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they do. I really can't see how they can celebrate the idea that there is no God and anyone that believes in one is stupid.

I don't think it is because they think it is better that there is no god, but rather that it is true that there is no god and whether that makes them happy or not is irrelevant.

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

No really, you need to lighten up. If you can't, then it's people with no sense of humor like yourself that I hope they do make fun of a little bit.

#21 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Oh the irony....

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

While I find the idea of organized atheism a little silly...

You're looking at this all wrong. Atheists are part of a minority group in this country and as such they have "support groups" just the same as homosexuals, African Americans, factory workers, truck drivers, etc... It might interest you to know that atheists are the least trusted large minority group. American citizens are more comfortable with a gay person, Muslim, African American, or woman becoming president than an atheist. As such there is discrimination that occurs. To be clear I'm not saying Atheists have faced anything on the level of slavery, the intolerable working conditions of the poor in the 19th and 20th centuries, the racial profiling of Arab Americans, ect... but there is discrimination just the same. If you look back at history in this country the most effective way to combat discrimination is through massing large numbers of people to create a national dialogue. So between support groups and tools to drive political / ideological change organized atheism make sense.

Here are a couple of polls showing how little atheists are thought of:
http://www.gallup.co...Candidates.aspx
http://www.gallup.co...epublicans.aspx

#23 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

You're looking at this all wrong. Atheists are part of a minority group in this country and as such they have "support groups" just the same as homosexuals, African Americans, factory workers, truck drivers, etc..

Whoa. You are saying a minority group can be based on beliefs, activities, and vocations. I reject that. If you hold to that idea, then people that want to return to the gold standard are 'minorities.' So are moms that oppose breast feeding. Same thing with lifeguards. People that participate in knitting bees, etc. Ridiculous.

#24 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Whoa. You are saying a minority group can be based on beliefs, activities, and vocations. I reject that. If you hold to that idea, then people that want to return to the gold standard are 'minorities.' So are moms that oppose breast feeding. Same thing with lifeguards. People that participate in knitting bees, etc. Ridiculous.

Seems like this is a bad place to have this discussion, but of course minority groups can be based on beliefs. Religious groups (or in this case, non-religious groups) are minorities if they're not the biggest group.

#25 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

Seems like this is a bad place to have this discussion, but of course minority groups can be based on beliefs. Religious groups (or in this case, non-religious groups) are minorities if they're not the biggest group.

Don't think so. In your scenario a person could go from a minority to a majority person merely by changing their mind.

#26 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

Don't think so. In your scenario a person could go from a minority to a majority person merely by changing their mind.

That is very correct. An American atheist could, by converting to Christianity, join a majority group.

#27 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Oh, boy. Okay. http://www.thefreedi...ry.com/minority

mi·nor·i·ty
n. pl.
mi·nor·i·ties
a.
The smaller in number of two groups forming a whole.
b. A group or party having fewer than a controlling number of votes.
a.
A racial, religious, political, national, or other group thought to be different from the larger group of which it is part.
b. A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.
c. A member of one of these groups.
3. Law The state or period of being under legal age: still in her minority.

[French minorité, from Medieval Latin minPosted ImageritPosted Images, from Latin minor, smaller; see minor.]

But really, why are we having this discussion here? The Saints can do what they damn well please. If it pisses off religious believers, than those believers can simply not go to the game. Or they can kick it up a notch and actively boycott, or even organize a protest. But whining on twinsdaily.com is almost certainly the least effective way to go about airing your complaints, and can lead one into a display of ignorance, e.g., demonstrating that one doesn't know how to use a dictionary to determine the meaning of a given word.

#28 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

But really, why are we having this discussion here?

I saw a brick wall and couldn't help myself from slamming my head into it repeatedly.

#29 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Oh, boy. Okay. http://www.thefreedi...ry.com/minority
But really, why are we having this discussion here? The Saints can do what they damn well please. If it pisses off religious believers, than those believers can simply not go to the game. Or they can kick it up a notch and actively boycott, or even organize a protest.

Or go there en masse and proselytize.

But whining on twinsdaily.com is almost certainly the least effective way to go about airing your complaints, and can lead one into a display of ignorance, e.g., demonstrating that one doesn't know how to use a dictionary to determine the meaning of a given word.

Going by the broad, dictionary based definition of 'minority', you realize that everyone is in some kind of a minority and could claim minority status.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

then I'd like to see a Christian Night (where my Christian beliefs are actively promoted; not just church groups attending)

I believe that's called "All Day, Every Day" in America.

Let the Atheists have their fun. It's not hurting anyone. Good for the Saints for catering to a relatively small but ever-growing segment of modern society that is unnecessarily ridiculed because they, of all the dastardly things, don't believe in God.