I have read a number of comments that he has poor plate discipline or is overly aggressive. Do the stats support this as well?
Does he swing at too many pitches?
1. His o-Swing% (swings at pitches outside of strike zone) is very average. 29.6% compared to league average of 29.7%.
2. His z-Swing% (swings at pitches inside the strike zone) is pretty low. 51.6% compared to league average of 63.9%.
3. Overall, his Swing% is 39.9%. League average is 45.2%.
Then why doesn't he draw walks? Because he hits the ball and puts it in play.
1. His o-Contact% (makes contact with pitches swung at outside the strike zone) is 82.4%. The league average is 68.1%.
2. His z-Contact% (makes contact with pitches swung at inside the strike zone) is 98.4% (!). The league average is 87.4%.
3. His overall Contact% is 92.1%. The league average is 80.5%.
4. His foul-ball strike percentage is 19% while the league average is 27%.
5. His ball-in-play percentage is 39% while the league average is 30%.
So, he doesn't draw walks because he makes contact at a high rate and puts the ball in play at a high rate when he does make contact. He literally is too good at putting the ball in play!
Can he draw more walks. Maybe. How about this?
1. Improve o-Swing. As a low power hitter, he needs to be more selective than the average player. Plouffe 28.3%, Mauer 24.7%, Carroll 23.4 (18.4% for career), Span 21.9% and Willingham 20.5% all have better percentages than Revere.
2. Work at fouling off borderline pitches rather than put them in play. This will lengthen the at-bat improving the opportunity to get four balls.