Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2015-2016 Offseason Thread

• Please log in to reply
340 replies to this topic

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

you had 0 future Aces. now you have 1

You can believe that. You're wrong, but you can believe that. I'll politely direct you to my top 100 Brave prospects post in this forum. I've spent hundreds of hours reviewing Braves prospects. I'd personally put the guys with upside of a #1 starter at 6 in the system before the deal, and honestly, while Newcomb would rate higher on my own list due to his proximity to the majors, he's still not the most talented lefty in the system. Kolby Allard with a full season could easily leapfrog Newcomb.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#22 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:51 PM

You can believe that. You're wrong, but you can believe that. I'll politely direct you to my top 100 Brave prospects post in this forum. I've spent hundreds of hours reviewing Braves prospects. I'd personally put the guys with upside of a #1 starter at 6 in the system before the deal, and honestly, while Newcomb would rate higher on my own list due to his proximity to the majors, he's still not the most talented lefty in the system. Kolby Allard with a full season could easily leapfrog Newcomb.

hard to call Allard a future Ace when he played in RK ball....

#23 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:24 PM

I think Ben has a point. I'm not sure what the point was with all the disagreement.

my point was the braves system didn't have an ace, now they do..  

#24 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

How about Colby Rasmus becoming the first player to ever accept a qualifying offer. History!

• scottz and nytwinsfan like this

#25 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

How about Colby Rasmus becoming the first player to ever accept a qualifying offer. History!

Intriguing. Not terribly unsurprising, though. Outside of his playoff heroics, what were the reasons someone would consider paying Rasmus $15M even over 2 seasons?

Edited by biggentleben, 12 November 2015 - 10:33 PM.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#26 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

Back on point, to catch up:

The Padres traded Joaquin Benoit to the Mariners likely to close for the M's in exchange for two minor leaguers, neither of whom were in the midseason top 10 for the Mariners.

The Braves re-signed AJ Pierzynski.

Nothing else is confirmed quite yet.

#27 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

It was bound to happen. Some here suggested we offer Plouffe a qualifying offer. I have no doubt he'd follow the same path as Rasmus: stay where you like it for one huge pay day and then go get a multi-year deal later.

#28 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

This trade makes very little sense for Atlanta, I get you got some good players back, but Simmons seemed like a guy to build a team around.

As far as qualifying offers go: average players like Rasmus and Plouffe will take those, and honestly, it's a win for the ball club as well.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#29 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

This trade makes very little sense for Atlanta, I get you got some good players back, but Simmons seemed like a guy to build a team around.

...and an avatar.

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,471 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:59 AM

I like Newcomb and was all for the Twins drafting him.It sucks to lose a favorite player, but you might have a Jon Lester in return.

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,357 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

It was bound to happen. Some here suggested we offer Plouffe a qualifying offer. I have no doubt he'd follow the same path as Rasmus: stay where you like it for one huge pay day and then go get a multi-year deal later.

When would the Twins offer Plouffe a qualifying offer? In 2 years when he becomes a free agent? I must have missed something because they don't need to offer him a qualifying offer because he's not a free agent.

#32 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

I like Newcomb and was all for the Twins drafting him.It sucks to lose a favorite player, but you might have a Jon Lester in return.

Okay, but a Lester is a guy that there's 2-3 of in the league at any given time, and usually that's not even the best guy in the league (I'd put him at least 3rd among lefties on his best day and probably 5th behind Kershaw, Sale, Price, and Bumgarner).

Simmons is not just a generational talent. He's doing things on defense that people have never seen done. He's Ozzie Smith with a better arm right now. Yes, an injury could quickly change that and he'd suddenly be less valuable, but if we're going down that road, which is more likely, a catastrophic injury to a pitcher or a shortstop? Simmons is a guy that provided so much value with the glove that he could actually provide significant negative value with the bat and still be worthy of a starting role. He and Aybar were both -11.7 in the ORA, but Simmons provided 23.2 DRA while Aybar was -0.4 DRA. Aybar's an average shortstop, but the difference between Simmons and an average shortstop is akin to the difference between having Bryce Harper and Nick Markakis as your RF.

• messed up likes this

#33 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

Okay, but a Lester is a guy that there's 2-3 of in the league at any given time, and usually that's not even the best guy in the league (I'd put him at least 3rd among lefties on his best day and probably 5th behind Kershaw, Sale, Price, and Bumgarner).

Simmons is not just a generational talent. He's doing things on defense that people have never seen done. He's Ozzie Smith with a better arm right now. Yes, an injury could quickly change that and he'd suddenly be less valuable, but if we're going down that road, which is more likely, a catastrophic injury to a pitcher or a shortstop? Simmons is a guy that provided so much value with the glove that he could actually provide significant negative value with the bat and still be worthy of a starting role. He and Aybar were both -11.7 in the ORA, but Simmons provided 23.2 DRA while Aybar was -0.4 DRA. Aybar's an average shortstop, but the difference between Simmons and an average shortstop is akin to the difference between having Bryce Harper and Nick Markakis as your RF.

Don't you think it's a good time to deal Simmons right now though? The Braves seem to have a good replacement for him and plus they get a top 25 type prospect.

It sounds like Julio Teheran may be next.

#34 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 14,964 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

When would the Twins offer Plouffe a qualifying offer? In 2 years when he becomes a free agent? I must have missed something because they don't need to offer him a qualifying offer because he's not a free agent.

Yes, in two years it was suggested the Twins do that rather than trade him.  

Rasmus establishes a line that should have been clearly seen coming: at some point even multi-year deals don't stack up to a 1 year 16M payout.  Especially for guys who stand to fetch less than half that per year on multi-year deals.

#35 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:15 AM

Don't you think it's a good time to deal Simmons right now though? The Braves seem to have a good replacement for him and plus they get a top 25 type prospect.

Albies isn't ready yet. Maybe not in 2017 either. He's 19 and hasn't even played at high-A yet. I think he would have been fast tracked there before his injury last year to end his year.

They have passable guys like Daniel Castro who wouldn't make a fool of themselves there over a full season, but the Braves rebuild that was sold to fans was that they would have a big run on young pitching taking their early lumps in the majors and then a rush of hitters ready to explode as those pitchers were ready to dominate the major league level. Having an other worldly defensive middle infield (Jace Peterson at second base is a candidate to move to shortstop now, and his glove work is exceptional as well for a guy in his first year at the keystone position) would help those young pitchers in their transition to the bigs for sure, especially with the "ground and pound" (ground balls and pound the zone) philosophy of the Braves pitching system.

• bluechipper likes this

#36 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

That part wouldn't be surprising, frankly. Miller can lead the rotation, and the Braves have seven guys ready for the rotation behind Teheran and Miller with Wisler, Banuelos, Minor (if he can come back), Weber, Jenkins, Foltynewicz, and Perez.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,715 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:52 AM

No, no way they can compete in 2017 without spending some major money.

The Astros and Cubs were terrible 2 years ago, and the Mets lost 88 games 2 years ago......

• nytwinsfan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,307 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

Ben,

I don't claim to know much about the Braves, so I'll defer to you who's spent the time and energy following this team. It appears they're trying to revert back to the 90's heyday where they build a stellar rotation, and just enough bats to compete. It also looks like they're going with the Astros route of dismantling the team and building a top-echelon farm system to start competing in 2017, more likely 2018. Is that the feeling you get?

Also, do you have any predictions of who else might be on the trade block? Freeman or any of the veteran OF's?

#39 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

The Astros and Cubs were terrible 2 years ago, and the Mets lost 88 games 2 years ago......

Somebody has to be able to hit, though.

#40 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Ben,

I don't claim to know much about the Braves, so I'll defer to you who's spent the time and energy following this team. It appears they're trying to revert back to the 90's heyday where they build a stellar rotation, and just enough bats to compete. It also looks like they're going with the Astros route of dismantling the team and building a top-echelon farm system to start competing in 2017, more likely 2018. Is that the feeling you get?

Also, do you have any predictions of who else might be on the trade block? Freeman or any of the veteran OF's?

I think if someone came to them for Markakis, Maybin, Bourn, and Swisher for much more than a song, those guys would be in a different uniform tomorrow. I would imagine one of Miller/Teheran will be kept. If someone was willing to gamble on Grilli being the 2015 version before injury, he'd be gone.

All that said, and the other rumor from Atlanta today is that David Price and Zack Greinke are on the radar. Just, wow.