Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Trade Target Team Profile: The Pittsburgh Pirates

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...tsburgh-Pirates

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

I really like Heredia. He would be extremely difficult to get even with Denard Span involved.

#3 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

I would want Taillon, McPherson or Heredia as part of the deal. We don't get one of those, then we're not getting enough and we should keep Span.

#4 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

I would want Taillon, McPherson or Heredia as part of the deal. We don't get one of those, then we're not getting enough and we should keep Span.

My thought, THey could REALLY use Willingham, not so much Span with McCutchen and Starling Marte/ Pressley already on the roster.

Willingham, Liriano, and Casilla to Pittsburgh
for

Robbie Grossman, *Jameson Taillon or Luis Heredia, Kyle McPherson, Evan Meek, and Allen Hanson, or Jarek Cunningham

(i don't think they want to move Cole, Marte, Sanchez, Appel, and probably Hanson)

---Span to the Nats for LHP Danny Rosenbaum and INF Steven Lombardozzi

----
2013 Twins

1. Revere -CF
2. Lombardozzi -2B
3. Mauer -C
4. Torii Hunter -RF
5. Morneau -1B
6. Plouffe -3B
7. Doumit -DH
8. Grossman -LF
9. Dozier - SS
Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#5 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

2013 Twins
4. Torii Hunter -RF <-------------------- WTF???

Sorry, on what planet does Torii Hunter return to a Twins uniform with Revere, Benson, Hicks, Arcia and various other cheap, young, talented players coming up or already on the roster? The only reason Hunter would even consider such a move would be if the Twins were just one player from making a serious run at the World Series.

Wrong planet, wrong dimension. Please adjust your television set.

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

God. Trading away a key component at the top of the lineup for an unknown MLB contributor is just ridiculous. As are the subsequent jabberings about Hunter and Lombardozzi. Lombardozzi batting second! Everyone wanting to trade Span is ignoring the hole that creates in the lineup. Full stop. It is not the case that trading him merely means adding a starting pitcher. It means adding a potential starting pitcher and creating a hole in the lineup. The Twins should spend $25 million on two starting pitchers. And forget the rest of this trading away the best players BS.

#7 Klochner

Klochner

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

They converted Allie to a third-baseman. The word on him in leading up to the draft was light tower power with likely contact issues.

#8 CK

CK

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:19 AM

I just want to see a move that improves the team, even if it's only initially... Even for one second. TRY. I'm not saying give away pieces, but I'd like to see them roll the dice with good-looking prospects. Even young "B Prospects"

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Sorry, on what planet does Torii Hunter return to a Twins uniform with Revere, Benson, Hicks, Arcia and various other cheap, young, talented players coming up or already on the roster? The only reason Hunter would even consider such a move would be if the Twins were just one player from making a serious run at the World Series.

Wrong planet, wrong dimension. Please adjust your television set.

Actually, it makes all the sense in the world. Trade Span, move Revere to center. Willingham stays in left. The Twins no longer have a viable right fielder.

Hunter is 36 years old this season. He'll be looking at one last contract to close out his career and he's no more than a middling corner outfielder at this point. He's popular with the Minnesota fans. He has stated an openness to returning to the Twins.

Arcia, Hicks, and Benson will not be ready before mid-2013 at the earliest (Hicks) and 2014 is a more realistic possibility (Arcia, Benson). Hunter slots in perfectly as a 2013 stop-gap and possibly a platoon role in 2014 if the Twins need to give him a two year deal.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,723 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

God. Trading away a key component at the top of the lineup for an unknown MLB contributor is just ridiculous. As are the subsequent jabberings about Hunter and Lombardozzi. Lombardozzi batting second!

Everyone wanting to trade Span is ignoring the hole that creates in the lineup. Full stop. It is not the case that trading him merely means adding a starting pitcher. It means adding a potential starting pitcher and creating a hole in the lineup.

The Twins should spend $25 million on two starting pitchers. And forget the rest of this trading away the best players BS.

A few reasons why trading Span is a good idea:

1. The Twins have a middle-of-the-pack offense. Losing Span won't make the offense spiral into obscurity.

2. The Twins have the worst starting rotation in baseball. It's all about net gain in a trade. They lose a little on offense but gain a ton in pitching because their staff is so bad right now.

3. Finding a corner outfielder that can play is one of the easiest things to do in free agency. Look at the demand for Josh Willingham; the guy was an obvious choice and for $7m a year, is a steal. The Twins will probably be able to pick up a guy like Hunter for a 2/$12m type deal and he'll put up similar offensive numbers to Span in the short term. For that kind of money, you get Jason Marquis if you're looking for a starter.

4. Finding a starting pitcher that can pitch is the hardest thing to do in free agency. Every team wants starters and every team overbids for them in FA.

5. Going into 2013, the Twins would be close to payroll neutral sans Span and plus Hunter. But now, they're one starting pitcher closer to contending. They still have close to the same money to go pick up another starter on the free agency market. Suddenly, their rotation isn't awful anymore.

A smart team trades from a strength to improve a weakness, particularly if that weakness is nearly impossible to find on the free agent market for a reasonable price.

#11 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

Span becomes more and more of an option as long as Pedro Alvarez keeps raking. If Alvarez keeps hitting, I would look for the Pirates to pursue options that have more long term value rather than short term fixes. Putting a legit lead off hitter with team control for the next few years in front of McCutchen and Alvarez will be a more attractive option for the team as it will almost have to give up pitching prospects to gain a player.

#12 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Span becomes more and more of an option as long as Pedro Alvarez keeps raking. If Alvarez keeps hitting, I would look for the Pirates to pursue options that have more long term value rather than short term fixes. Putting a legit lead off hitter with team control for the next few years in front of McCutchen and Alvarez will be a more attractive option for the team as it will almost have to give up pitching prospects to gain a player.

It's a good point. Alvarez had become their Trevor Plouffe. It's truly a no-brainer that they need to fix their leadoff situation.

#13 tobynotjason

tobynotjason

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

From the perspective of a Pirates fan, this is bordering on ignorant. FYI. Span as a semi-long-term corner? Um... Starling Marte, Robbie Grossman, and oh by the way Alex Presley except for April and May this season. If you've watched the day in, day out you wouldn't have much if any leadoff angst. Sutton's a hot-hand fill-in. Presley raked in his AAA concussion rehab tonight. Willingham has been discussed at length for months on Pirates' boards. Liriano gets an occasional mention. I don't think I've ever heard Span's name even mentioned save as "well, the Twins are probably trying to deal him, but he's not a fit."

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I live in Indy and got to watch their AAA facility play yesterday. Marte and Presley looked pretty good (Presley was apparently called up yesterday and made his debut in AAA yesterday). I have a tough time believing they will want any type of OF help. Marte is having a decent enough season where I'd think they can just call him up if they want additional help offensively, so I don't get the need for Span...

#15 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

The Pirates are going after Justin Upton and will not give up Cole or Taillon for him but I guess they are will to part with Marte.

#16 tobynotjason

tobynotjason

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

diehard, Presley's rehabbing. He's their starting LF and lead off man with Tabata down.

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ah.... He looked like he was ready.

#18 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

From the perspective of a Pirates fan, this is bordering on ignorant. FYI. Span as a semi-long-term corner? Um... Starling Marte, Robbie Grossman, and oh by the way Alex Presley except for April and May this season. If you've watched the day in, day out you wouldn't have much if any leadoff angst. Sutton's a hot-hand fill-in. Presley raked in his AAA concussion rehab tonight. Willingham has been discussed at length for months on Pirates' boards. Liriano gets an occasional mention. I don't think I've ever heard Span's name even mentioned save as "well, the Twins are probably trying to deal him, but he's not a fit."

From the perspective of a baseball fan, your post comes off as ignorant. No one on this board will say that Span is in the same league as a player like Upton, but neither would the Pirates have to give up as valuable of prospects as they would have to for Upton. Facts are their are very few power bats available for trade at this point in time. So, if you can't upgrade your offense by power, it would make sense to upgrade it with speed and make sure their is someone on base when Neil Walker or Andrew McCutchen goes yard. You can tout your own prospects all you want, you know them better than I do, but none of them are a proven and premier lead off hitter in the major leagues. Combine that with Span being a solid defensive player and having a team controlled contract for the next few years, and maybe he is more than just an option who is a bad fit. Honestly he is probably a better fit for a team trying to win a division than a prospect coming back from a concussion (Presley), a converted infielder (Sutton), a demoted player (Tabata), or a top 100 prospect who has not sniffed the majors yet (Marte).

As a pure baseball fan, I can tell you your outfield would be much better for a stretch run with Span, McCutchen, and Jones/Tabata/Marte/Presley/Sutton than with MCCutchen and two question marks. You have pitching, you need hitting, and Span won't cost one of your untouchables. How can you find anything wrong with that option to upgrade your team's offense?