Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Ten Second-Half Storylines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Half-Storylines

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

11) Health

Do the Twins enter the offseason confident in the health of Mauer, Morneau and Span? Last offseason these were big question marks and may have been a factor in how they developed the roster. This winter's planning will be easier if the concussions, wrist and leg problems are a year behind them. To a lesser extent, Doumit is also managing his way through a rare healthy season.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

Great list, Nick!! EAch of these is great! Excellent work!

#4 BD57

BD57

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

If Diamond turns out to be a 3.50 ERA innings eater, we have a "good" #2. What we don't want is to start next year with our #1 being a 4.00+ ERA, 4 SO/9 "innings eater."

#5 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

11) Health

Do the Twins enter the offseason confident in the health of Mauer, Morneau and Span? Last offseason these were big question marks and may have been a factor in how they developed the roster. This winter's planning will be easier if the concussions, wrist and leg problems are a year behind them. To a lesser extent, Doumit is also managing his way through a rare healthy season.

Matt Capps, Carl Pavano, and P.J. Walters rehab concerns included.

#6 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Bonus: The Cole De Vries train. Does De Vries have a chance to continue putting up quality starts when so many people think his stuff just isn't that good? A nuthin' fastball, a big, slow overhand curve, a little this a little that. How does he do it? Can he keep doing it? What if he does? If Cole De Vries wins more games than any other starter, will the Twins still send him down to AAA? Bonus #2: Can Drew Butera throw a knuckle ball?

Edited by jimbo92107, 11 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

#7 frightwig

frightwig

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

I'm still skeptical about Diamond, because of his low K/9 and my doubts that he can sustain the low walk rate he's posted so far. Right now, his performance has been absolutely the best case scenario for a pitcher of his type, but he's walking a fine line. What's the track record of pitchers who start out at 26 with a low strikeout rate, already depending on exceptionally fine control and a high groundball percentage to be successful? I wouldn't expect many of them to have a good, long career. If Diamond's walk rate regresses to around 3.0, and his strikeout rate slips just a bit, and maybe he starts allowing some more flyballs, suddenly he's Nick Blackburn, or Carlos Silva after his miracle year. Maybe he has one more strong season in him. Maybe he'll be at least a decent back-end starter for 2-3 years. But I just hope Terry Ryan doesn't go signing him to any longterm contract.

#8 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

Either I've missed it or everybody has been holding their collective breath, but frightwig's above comment on Diamond seems long overdue. I'm being a little ironic, but I've been surprised one of the resident stat analysts (or Gleeman) hasn't burst my bubble sooner on Diamond. Shine on Scott, shine on. Nick, for some reason I am so optimistic about this team that I am hoping they trade for Felix Hernandez. May not make enough of a difference this year, but it just might re-ignite team and fan confidence going into next year.

#9 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Bonus #2: Can Drew Butera throw a knuckle ball?

Someone call Phil and R.A., and give this kid a rosin bag.

#10 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

About Brian Dozier... "He's actually been better lately, with a .321 average in July, but his plate discipline and defense remain suspect and absolutely must improve." Wait what? He batted .321 in July, but his plate discipline is suspect? What must a man do to allay these suspicions? Even if a guy jumps up and down waving the bat wildly, if he bats .321 he's doing pretty well. And his defense...seldom do we see rookies come up with a completely polished defensive game. They tend to be erratic, but along with the silly goofs, the good ones make exciting plays, as Dozier's been doing. Dozier appears to be a cross between a young Nick Punto and a young Dustin Pedroia. The more Pedroia the better, of course, but even if he's more of a Punto, that's still a pretty good ball player. Clearly Dozier's got more pop than Punto, so I'm looking forward to seeing some very good ball from this guy.

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

So 8 games in July and we make Pedroia comps? Yowza.

#12 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Even if a guy jumps up and down waving the bat wildly, if he bats .321 he's doing pretty well.

Actually hitting .321 over 28 at-bats doesn't mean much at all. And when the solid average is attached to shoddy plate discipline (6/1 K/BB) and little power (1 XBH) it becomes less encouraging.

Dozier's calling card in the minors was a solid plate approach, and until that manifests in the majors I'll remain wary of his offensive ability.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Actually hitting .321 over 28 at-bats doesn't mean much at all.

I'd go as far to say it doesn't mean anything at all. Drew Butera has done that in 28 AB stretches.

Dozier has been playing better but until he does it for two months, I'm skeptical (and overall, I'm a Dozier supporter).

#14 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

My dream. Danny starts tearin up AAA and pushes Plouffe back to another try at SS where he sticks. And Dozier becomes the "Punto" referenced above.

#15 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

My dream. Danny starts tearin up AAA and pushes Plouffe back to another try at SS where he sticks. And Dozier becomes the "Punto" referenced above.

Keep dreaming...

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Even in this dread scenario, I have a tough time believing Dozier woudln't take over at 2nd... Not quite sure why people suddenly don't like him. Everyone was lining up to make him a starter in spring training. He's a rookie who is going to take his lumps. Even the highest regarded rookies typically have problems.