Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: More Morneau? No.

justin morneau kenny vargas oswaldo arcia
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 REPETE

REPETE

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

I'm really not sentimental at all about the return of players who left as free agents. That was a business decision on their part, and my decision on them returning would be the same. As the Twins are well on their way to rebuilding this this team internally, with youth, I really don't see the point to Morneau's return.

I concur 100percent on the "blocking" thing.

But for the record, Morneau didn't leave as a free agent.

True, Morneau was traded, but that's semantics. He was not going to be retained at the end of the year, as Joe was moving to 1st.

This move makes no sense for a couple reasons:
1. He's not the "veteran presence" that Torii brought. He's Clark Kent; mild mannered, then turns into a great hitter.
2. He can't stay healthy, so you can't count on him.
3. He would be a great PH off the bench (redundant?), but baseball no longer has PH. The days of Chip Hale are gone. If they're good enough to PH, they play everyday.

#22 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

Morneau would be a much better signing then Hunter ever was, but even so, I would pass for now.

• James and jimmer like this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#23 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

You could do a lot worse than Morneau as your regular full time DH. Actually, looking at this season as an example, I think we did. I see no harm in paying him 9 mil on a 1 year deal. Especially if they move Plouffe and hand 3B to Sano. Go get a stud pen arm and find a way to land Lucroy.

HICKS RF

BUXTON CF

ROSARIO LF

LUCROY C

MORNEAU DH

ESCOBAR SS

DOZIER 2B

SANO 3B

MAUER 1B

Not too shabby.

Hughes

Santana

Gibson

Duffy

Berrios

Decent rotation.

Perkins

May

Jepsen

Meyer

Tonkin

Insert Chapman here(I wish)

Not Fein or Duensing or Boyer or Graham

Bench

Suzuki

Santana

Vargas

Credited with fixing Buxton's swing June 29, 2017.

#24 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Watching Morneau, particularly in September showed me that he definitely has plenty left in the tank. He took advantage of the large Coors Field outfield to drive the ball the ball to all fields. While Coors Field tends to elevate stats, there was nothing cheap about what I saw from him.

For me, the key to the DH spot is getting quality at bats and player who can hit for power.  One only need look at what Kendry Morales did as a veteran and proven hitter in the middle of the KC lineup to see what a quality DH can bring to the lineup.  I love Vargas' potential, but know that he is not there yet.  Plouffe could play that role, but does not fill the prototype.  

• Oldgoat_MN and labcrazy like this

#25 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'd hate to see Justin get hurt again, as I'm sure he'll guard against.So just maybe he'd agree to be the full time DH.I'd much rather we brought him back than Cuddy.Then again, maybe Morneau will just retire to his family and cars. 

he gone!

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

I don't know whether OPS+ adjusts well enough for Morneau in this case.Outside of Coors 2015: .242/.308/.358(yes that's a .666 OPS)And if that's not good enough to say NO, "not good enough" Oswaldo Arcia hit .276 /.338/ .379 in the majors in 2015.

Would be inane to sign Morneau(but the same GM signed Guerrier, Kubel, Bartlett and Hunter, so I am not holding my breath...)

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,476 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:46 PM

Go get a stud pen arm and find a way to land Lucroy.

LeCroy.Not Lucroy.Much more appropriate for the reunion.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:20 PM

I am a sentimental guy. Still no. Seeing the veteran Hunter on the roster last July and knowing he couldn't be moved was troubling. As much as I like seeing favorites from the past, the smart business decision is to sign free agents that can get you something back if the season goes in the crapper or you're unexpectedly overloaded at a position.

No more legacy signings, as much as I might enjoy seeing them again.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#29 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:42 PM

In addition to the reoccurrence of the concussion symptoms, wasn't a big part of DL stint last year due to the neck issues flaring up again?  It seems like his body is really giving him quite a few signs to back off.  I feel like he is an injury away from having life time health issues, if he has not already passed that point.  It has to be incredibly tough to walk away from something you really love and the only thing you have ever really known as a career (as evidenced by Jerry Kill this week).

He is one of my sentimental favorites, I can understand why he still wants to play (and imagine he would love to return home so to speak), but I don't think the team has greater needs and I think it would be in his best interest to contemplate stepping away from the game (as hard as that must be).

• Mike Sixel and James like this

#30 labcrazy

labcrazy

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

Watching Morneau, particularly in September showed me that he definitely has plenty left in the tank. He took advantage of the large Coors Field outfield to drive the ball the ball to all fields. While Coors Field tends to elevate stats, there was nothing cheap about what I saw from him.

For me, the key to the DH spot is getting quality at bats and player who can hit for power.  One only need look at what Kendry Morales did as a veteran and proven hitter in the middle of the KC lineup to see what a quality DH can bring to the lineup.  I love Vargas' potential, but know that he is not there yet.  Plouffe could play that role, but does not fill the prototype.  

You make a good point on the Morales comparison. We need someone to provide some protection to Sano (preferably left handed) and I sure dont trust Arcia to be that guy. If not Justin then somebody like him that will protect Sano is needed.

Edited by labcrazy, 01 November 2015 - 07:57 PM.

#31 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

In addition to the reoccurrence of the concussion symptoms, wasn't a big part of DL stint last year due to the neck issues flaring up again?  It seems like his body is really giving him quite a few signs to back off.  I feel like he is an injury away from having life time health issues, if he has not already passed that point.  It has to be incredibly tough to walk away from something you really love and the only thing you have ever really known as a career (as evidenced by Jerry Kill this week).

He is one of my sentimental favorites, I can understand why he still wants to play (and imagine he would love to return home so to speak), but I don't think the team has greater needs and I think it would be in his best interest to contemplate stepping away from the game (as hard as that must be).

I'd be OK with a one-day signing for sentiment. 

Does this ever happen in baseball?Is there a rule for this?

#32 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

"Maybe you don’t believe in any knowledge other than scientifically proven knowledge. The bad news is that makes it hard to meet girls. The good news is that there is still some evidence that Morneau wouldn’t be a terrible fit for the Twins."

LOVE This. I say bring back the M & M Bromance! That would mean breaking up the Plouffe-Dozier Bromance, however...

#33 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

The only way I see a fit for Morneau is if Plouffe is traded. Moving Plouffe for a catcher and than splitting up third base duties between Sano, Escobar and Mauer with some left field or right field mixed in for Mauer on the days that Morneau could play first base and not DH. Morneau is probably the most affordable offensive talent you could add to the order and you still need a guy in the line-up that can bat behind Sano if you move Plouffe. To me signing Morneau only becomes a viable option for the Twins if you decide to trade Trevour Plouffe. 

Edited by jaimedude2, 02 November 2015 - 05:09 PM.

#34 Raven

Raven

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:27 AM

I'd love to see the Morneau of year's past doing it again for the Twins.  However, that's just it - those years are in the past.  To me the stats and everything else don't matter.  The odds that he'd be able to be available for a full season are just about zero.  The ongoing concussion and other injury issues should rightly push him into retirement.  I can't see anyone taking the risk and picking him up.

#35 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

Even if it was a good move for the Twins, and I don't think it is, is it a good move for Morneau?

Both he and Kubel were critical of Target Field for left-handed hitters.Only 20 of his 58 HR during the Target Field years came at home.Whether recent statistics show this as a fluke or not probably isn't relevant if Morneau thinks that high RF wall is a detriment to his line-drive swing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: justin morneau, kenny vargas, oswaldo arcia