Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Changes to CF at Target Field

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

You heard rumblings last week, but this morning the Twins announced the changes that will be happening in centerfield at Target Field. An upper level called Minnie and Paul's will be for everyone. A mezzanine level will be for season ticket holders, an all-inclusive location with great site lines. There is a link below to a web page with much more information and video.

CF.png

0_ekmcQDDEtH-qAw-eS2Y_pxj4w6izEY7usNTbJ2Gm4.jpg

amOsbGME7-xLqp25uNto7pCGOkktyZD1lViSttA82cg.jpg

WydOXAZ7t37yTOcLWk6ejnZxu7WEtbYWZOjvupivgj0.jpg

5i1S6pM3XUzu2V5Z2yqP58bvlP7m5BLwI6VphQMCh3Y.jpg

Here is the press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Monday, Oct. 26, 2015

Minnesota Twins Unveil Plans for Multi-Level Centerfield Gathering Spaces at Target Field

Minnie & Paul’s designed to be a must-visit destination for all fans

CATCH will serve as all-inclusive premium season ticket venue

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Twins today unveiled plans to reconfigure Target Field’s centerfield seating area into multi-level fan gathering spaces featuring great sightlines as well as signature food and beverage options. The enhancements will be the most extensive renovations at Target Field to date and are designed to activate and energize a previously underutilized portion of the ballpark.

“The Twins are committed to continually improving Target Field with a focus on delivering the best fan experience in professional sports,” said Twins President Dave St. Peter. “We’re excited to unveil these unique spaces to our fans with a belief that they make the ballpark better.”

The upper level (Club Level) will be named Minnie & Paul’s and will be open to all fans. Minnie & Paul’s, a Twins-themed pub located under the ballpark’s iconic center field celebration sign, will also feature Minnesota-branded food options while serving as a stylish gathering space for fans of all ages.

The lower tier (Mezzanine Level) will be known as CATCH, an intimate all-inclusive club with limited access for approximately 120 season ticket members. The exclusive CATCH will feature great views of the field, unparalleled access to the latest technology and a vibrant entertainment experience. This new premium space will be all-inclusive with beverages and a variety of tapas-style foods included in the season ticket price. Season ticket per-game prices will range from $75 to $85 within CATCH.

“We’re thrilled to introduce this new and exclusive venue within the ballpark,” said Mike Clough, Vice President of Ticket Sales and Service for the Twins. “We are confident our season ticket holders will enjoy the intimate atmosphere and abundant amenities. Members of CATCH will enjoy its all-inclusive menu and great views of the game while enjoying the high end club experience in this vibrant environment.”

The renovations will be completed prior to the 2016 season and will become a destination for Twins fans and a popular location for events, private functions and meetings year-round. The Minnesota-branded food options within Minnie & Paul’s will be announced at the 2016 Target Field Food and Beverage Preview.

Because of the extreme demand for tickets and limited ticket inventory, a random selection process will take place to determine which fans will have an opportunity to purchase tickets within CATCH. Fans interested in purchasing season tickets in the exclusive CATCH must register at www.twinsbaseball.com/premiumCATCH by Wednesday, Nov. 18.

POPULOUS, the Kansas City-based sports architecture firm which led the design of Target Field, is also spearheading the re-design of the ballpark’s centerfield seating sections. Minneapolis-based Mortenson Construction will oversee construction of the new spaces with work slated to begin shortly.

www.twinsbaseball.com

• glunn likes this

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:17 AM

As a parent.....not a fan. There is almost nothing child friendly at our ballpark.
  • Jerr, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:48 AM

You'd think that restoring the black spruce backdrop to bring back the original CF ambience would be a part of this plan.

• ScrapTheNickname, rghrbek and mplsman like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

As a parent.....not a fan. There is almost nothing child friendly at our ballpark.

Interesting point... one I hadn't thought before, but I think a very fair point. 

#5 drbob524

drbob524

• 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

There doesnt need to be any more bars or any more "exclusive" areas, there are plenty of those at TF already. As a new parent, I agree that there should be something more family friendly, but I also want the focus of a ballpark to be on the game. I don't like how Kauffman has an entire area for kids (the Little K, mini golf, fountain park) where you cant see the game at all. 

This all just seems very unnecessary, and adding stuff for the sake of addition.

• Jerr likes this

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:02 AM

There's clearly a child in several of the renderings. 

• Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking, notoriousgod71 and 3 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

Even the plaza is packed with people with nowhere to go. No mini field to play on. No quiet place to sit and play with other kids. Nothing child themed but the mascot.

But we have a dozen bars. C'mon.
  • Jerr, zenser and Danchat like this

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

Bringing your child to a bar doesn't make it child friendly.

#9 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Dumb and pointless. Taking away more "cheap seats" in order to build yet another bar. Last I checked there were plenty of places to grab a beer at Target Field, also the "catch" section will only be sold to season ticket holders? Good luck with that, those seats are pretty terrible overall. If you want to build something new, do something original that is fun, whether it is for families or not, another "bar" featuring FRESH NEW FOOD! Is nothing new.

Edited by DaveW, 26 October 2015 - 08:35 AM.

• Jerr likes this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#10 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:34 AM

This franchise and especially Dave St Peter has always been a fan of children *as long as they can take advantge of them while they are dying of cancer to run ads to build the new ballpark.

Teams are shameless in manipulating cities’ fears. In 1997, the Minnesota Twins even ran an ad showing a player visiting a child in hospital with cancer, and the tagline: ‘If the Twins leave Minnesota, an 8-year-old in Wilmar undergoing chemotherapy will never get a visit from Marty Cordova. Which is less like the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and more like the Make-A-Threat Foundation.

All true! But it actually turned out to be even worse than that, as the Minneapolis City Pages reported at the time:

Then there was the TV ad aimed at prodding fans to rally the legislature, which depicted Twins outfielder Marty Cordova going to see a sick child at the Minneapolis Ronald McDonald House. “If the Twins leave Minnesota, an 8-year-old from Willmar undergoing chemotherapy will never get a visit from Marty Cordova,” the announcer intoned, as the screen faded to black. To make matters even more repulsive, it turned out that by the time the ad aired, the patient had died.

Also, nobody had bothered consulting Twins outfielder Cordova, whose charity had sponsored the hospital visits, and who objected vociferously to being used for owner Carl Pohlad’s stadium shakedown. The ad was quickly pulled, the Minnesota state legislature declined to fund a new Twins stadium, and the team moved to — er, that is, kept on plugging away at getting public stadium money out of Minnesota, until finally the legislature gave in. That’ll show those lousy dead-cancer-kid-mongers, right?

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,063 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

How does this effect the site lines? I mean, we don't need more excuses for the hitters here.

As a guy that likes a beer at the game, I gotta say, I agree with the parents here. That place did not need more places to drink.
  • Seth Stohs, Jerr, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:37 AM

Even the plaza is packed with people with nowhere to go. No mini field to play on. No quiet place to sit and play with other kids. Nothing child themed but the mascot.

But we have a dozen bars. C'mon.

They should have used the space and made an actual picnic area for people to sit and enjoy, with plenty of room to roam around and maybe even a big grass section for families to lay out/stretch out, etc.

• SQUIRREL, ScottyB, drbob524 and 2 others like this

#13 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

How does this effect the site lines? I mean, we don't need more excuses for the hitters here.

As a guy that likes a beer at the game, I gotta say, I agree with the parents here. That place did not need more places to drink.

It doesn't effect the site lines at alll, the "green" is still the green. Yankee stadium comes to mind as a place that has a food pavilion right above "the blacked" section of center field.

What it really ultimately comes down to is they are removing some of the cheaper and more affordable seats in the stadium. If you are so worried about having everyone in the expensive seats, how about you build a team that is actually a playoff contender.

Edited by DaveW, 26 October 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• Mike Sixel and TheLeviathan like this

#14 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,877 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

I've only been to TF a couple of times, and my memory is poor in any case: is it currently possible to walk the entire perimeter inside the ballpark, and will this new arrangement change that? That's a feature I love, at any ballpark that has it. Parks like Fenway annoy me - they don't even let you stroll around in the Green Monster anymore.

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#15 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

I've only been to TF a couple of times, and my memory is poor in any case: is it currently possible to walk the entire perimeter inside the ballpark, and will this new arrangement change that? That's a feature I love, at any ballpark that has it.

I don't think it would change it.

#16 Kwak

Kwak

• 2,939 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

"Family-friendly" and "child-friendly" are euphemisms that have decayed beyond the point of being a mere cliche`, so one shouldn't be upset that DSP uses "blunt" language to announce this change.  MLB is a business (and always has been a business) and we all knew that.  Quite simply there is more cash to be wrung from adults at a ballgame than from children.  Also, there are many adults would prefer their entertainment in "child-free" locales (and horrors)--more exclusive (more expensive) venues to further their enjoyment.  Adding bars and more premium seats is designed to do just that (make more profit for the owners).  Cynical ? Yes.  But MLB is not worthy of any less than the raw truth.

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:02 AM

Investing in families brings in plenty of money, not to mention builds future money paying fans.
  • DocBauer and wsnydes like this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,877 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:09 AM

Problem solved. :)

It was careless of them to photoshoop the same carefree moppet into two renderings, however. SHOOP DA WHOOP.

• Parker Hageman likes this

I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.

#19 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• 1,768 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

The thing with adding bars... assuming that booze was available and plentiful enough that everyone was getting lubed up to their preference, you're really not going to make more money by adding more bars. There's a point of diminishing returns that I think we're quickly approaching.

Edited by Boom Boom, 26 October 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#20 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

The thing with adding bars... assuming that booze was available and plentiful enough that everyone was getting lubed up to their preference, you're really not going to make more money by adding more bars. There's a point of diminishing returns that I think we're quickly approaching.

They make more money by adding bars because the operator of said bar pays the Twins a hefty fee (basically rent)