- This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Chicago Bears
Today, 07:54 PM
- Please welcome our new moderator: Melanie (Funkytown)
Today, 07:51 PM
- Notable NFL News (Cuts, signings, injuries, etc.)
Today, 06:42 PM
- Zimmer's Freaky-Fast Friday Presser
Today, 05:58 PM
- This Week in the NFC North - Week 17
Today, 10:43 AM
- Should Teddy win the ROY award?
Today, 10:00 AM
- Will He/Won't He?? - Jerry Kill's future...
Today, 09:43 AM
- Article: We Wish You a Purple Christmas
Today, 09:11 AM
- Vikings Free Agency News
Today, 09:03 AM
- Special Teams fire and cut them all.
Yesterday, 07:42 PM
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Will LJ Mazzilli sign?
No replies to this topic
Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:57 AM
The Twins have done a good job this year signing their top picks - only 1 player drafted in rounds 1-10 is unsigned: LJ Mazzilli. My question is, will he sign, or will he return for another year at school? I found an article on the internet which seemed to indicate he expected to be drafted in the first two rounds, which would carry a bonus of $500K+. Instead, he fell to the ninth round, with a slot of $130.8K. According to Baseball America, the Twins are currently $208.5K under their bonus pool, so they could theoretically offer Mazzilli up to around $340K, which is probably a bit less than he was hoping for (that assumes that all draft picks signed in rounds 11-40 all sign for at most $100K each). However, given that the Twins bonus pool for the year was about $12.4M, and that they can spend up to 5% above without losing a draft pick, they could theoretically have about $600K additional they could use if they want. That could allow them to give Mazzilli the money he thought he might get even if he hadn't fallen to the ninth round. So anybody heard any news on this, one way or another?