Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 1987 Revisited: Twins Upset Tigers

1987 world series detroit tigers minnesota twins kent hrbek
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

We could use some of that talent and attitude on the current roster.  Besides 87/91 my favorite Twins team was the 2002 version.  They had the bleep you attitude we came to play with heart/determination and sheer love of playing baseball.  Like the 87/91 team they grew up together took some lumps together and leaders developed over time.  The current Twins roster lacks that big time!  Hopefully that develops sooner rather than later.  

• Doomtints likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#42 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,731 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

The 87 Twins were a raucous bunch that played with a chip on their shoulder and won it all.

The 91 Twins were a professional team through and through, took care of business and won it all.

Be nice to see one or the other show up in the near future with Twins teams.

• Oldgoat_MN and Doomtints like this

#43 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:14 AM

At last!  Finally found a couple of pix from that magical night--  I know there are more around somewhere, but hey, that was life in the pre-digital age, eh?

87 champs night
87 Champs2

• Parker Hageman likes this

#44 Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Gaetti colluding with Holdingford High School grad and brief St. Cloud State Huskie Joe Brinkman. I like it. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#45 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

The 1987 ALCS. Probably my greatest sports memory. It was magical. NBC's intro was magical. A version of "Take me out to the ballgame" with a little boy finding a magical baseball. And NBC's baseball theme they played before and after games.......ingrained in my mind forever. Gaetti's two home runs. Magic. The comeback. Puckett's double driving in Gladden. Magic. As the ending credits rolled after game one, and NBC's baseball music played to a replay of gladden sliding into home, Bob Costas with the immortal words "And for all the doubters, the Minnesota Twins are very much for real".

Chills up my spine. Pretty amazing experience for a 13 year old.
  • USAFChief and Doomtints like this

#46 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

We gotta get a 1987 Twins discussion going! Such an amazing season. Such interesting names on that roster. Steve Carlton! Joe Niekro! Don Baylor! Wow! What a season!

One thing I felt bad about was Berenguer blew that 1-0 lead in game 3. Winning game 3 would have put Niekro on the mound for game 4!

#47 Tovar12

Tovar12

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

I was fortunate enough to have friends that got on the phone and dialed and dialed and dialed and waited to get in, to buy tickets (no internet sales back then).  I was at game 1 of the 87 ALCS and also game 7 of the World Series.  After we won the World Series, I remember running around downtown Mpls high-fiving strangers and people hanging out of cars.  My buddy and I had to drive back to Rochester and work the next day too!  I also was lucky enough to have a friend take me to game 7 of the '91 World Series.  I always remind my two boys that their "old man" was at both World Series game 7s.  It's also easy for me to remember the years they were born (87 & 91)!

So many memories!

• snepp likes this

#48 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:43 PM

This was great, Parker.  Thank you.

It's also fun to read how all the posters here remember it. Special for all of us.

Interesting thing about your story: Gibson apologizing for his .286/.375/.476 (.851) slash line. Well, he apologized for the strikeouts. 

Look at that and you will see (or remember) how much game has changed as far as how people appreciate the contributions made by the players. Yes, "he walks too much" was once considered by some to be a put-down of a ballplayer.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#49 Aaron Cross

Aaron Cross

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

We gotta get a 1987 Twins discussion going! Such an amazing season. Such interesting names on that roster. Steve Carlton! Joe Niekro! Don Baylor! Wow! What a season!
One thing I felt bad about was Berenguer blew that 1-0 lead in game 3. Winning game 3 would have put Niekro on the mound for game 4!

BTW, I'm referring to Berenguer blowing game 3 of the World Series. Reardon blew game 3 of the ALCS. That was a heart breaker.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1987 world series, detroit tigers, minnesota twins, kent hrbek